Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Ecstacy and Prozac

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi all.

I currently take Fluoxetine (Prozac) on prescription for depression (have been doing so for about a year and a half now.)

I am considering taking ecstacy but apparently they can be a very bad combination.

Anyone had any experience of this (either way)?

Cheers,

Ben

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    When i was on prozac i was taking pills, but became aware of the dangers and decided to stop one of the other, i stopped the prozac.

I never noticed any bad negative effects, but thats jsut me, everyones different. And it can be very dangerous - all that stuff with the MAOIs and the MDMA...
    SSRI's tend to block the action of MDMA, so its not really worth it IMO. You also have to ask yourself if its a good idea to take another chemical that fucks around with your serotonin system when you are already taking one that does that, for depression...
    Originally posted by lil_minx
    When i was on prozac i was taking pills, but became aware of the dangers and decided to stop one of the other, i stopped the prozac.

I never noticed any bad negative effects, but thats jsut me, everyones different. And it can be very dangerous - all that stuff with the MAOIs and the MDMA...

What are MAOIs? Were u taking prozac for depression (if u don't mind me asking)?
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    SSRI's tend to block the action of MDMA, so its not really worth it IMO. You also have to ask yourself if its a good idea to take another chemical that fucks around with your serotonin system when you are already taking one that does that, for depression...

Hmmm yeah I thought about that. But seing as how I take the prozac to keep my serotonin levels at a NORMAL level, I thought it might be OK (same as a non-depressed person taking e)?
    Originally posted by BenK
    What are MAOIs? Were u taking prozac for depression (if u don't mind me asking)?

Mono Amine Oxidase Inhibitors. Old style anti-depressants.
    Hmmm yeah I thought about that. But seing as how I take the prozac to keep my serotonin levels at a NORMAL level, I thought it might be OK (same as a non-depressed person taking e)?

As I said, SSRI's tend to block the action of MDMA so its a bit pointless. And a side effect of MDMA can be depression, so its not that wise. But its your choice.
    As I said, SSRI's tend to block the action of MDMA so its a bit pointless. And a side effect of MDMA can be depression, so its not that wise. But its your choice.

Damn my depression! :mad: ;)

Out of interest, Blagsta; do you have personal experience of the prozac and MDMA combination? Or MDMA with depression?

Cheers. Ben
    Mono Amine Oxidase Inhibitors. Old style anti-depressants.

OK so I've just read on ...

http://www.thesite.org/youthnet/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=163&a=219

that...

"Mixing Prozac with other drugs, particularly ecstasy or alcohol, can be dangerous."

I'd just like to know what is meant by "dangerous". For example, I've been told not to drink alcohol "to excess" with my tablets but it hasn't stopped me from getting very pissed on occasions. And I can't say I noticed anything bad (apart from the usual hangover)
    come back bong ...all is forgiven.
    Damn my depression! :mad: ;)

Out of interest, Blagsta; do you have personal experience of the prozac and MDMA combination? Or MDMA with depression?

Cheers. Ben

Not personal experience, no.
    what really matters here, is that if you have depression, taking drugs such as pills (and cocaine) can have serious affects on your mood even when you arent on the drug, and in very many cases the depression can be made a lot worse.

Its a terrible idea to take pills if you have depression even if you arent taking prozac. Its not worth it :) i think..
    stimulants and depression aren't a good mix.
    Cheers for all the advice.

I guess I'll stick to cannabis and alcohol for now then.

(yeah I know alcohol isn't a great drug of choice for depressives but it doesn't seem to do me any harm and I'm not what I would call a heavy drinker.)
    If you are a regular user of an SSRI you could well take MDMA and feel NOTHING what so ever, I promise you the effect will be greatly reduced.

You would need at least 2 weeks of not taking the prozac before you would get any real effect.

It sounds like you are convinced that you need the SSRI for now so I would stick at that, they can be useful for a lot of people.
    I know it sucks but basically if you have depression you shouldn't really take any other mood-altering substances, especially if you are on anti-depressants.

As has already been explained, taking pills is a no-no because you're messing with your Seratonin levels. Also any drugs you take to give you a high may well have limited effect yet the subsequent crash can feel much harsher when you're already low.

Alcohol is actually a depressant, and along with smoking joints can make you more introspective and prolong those 'down' periods. But as your GP will have said, a few drinks now and then are allowed with prozac (other ad's vary in the advice for this).

All of the above mess with your sleep patterns too, which is probably haywire already ...?

You have to ask yourself why you are taking the anti-depressants and what is more important, getting a grip on your illness, or feeling short bursts of 'high'.

If you want more energy and natural highs I'd suggest exercise, dull as it sounds, it really is a fantastic mood and self esteem booster and stress buster. It'll help you sleep better too. Chocolate helps heaps too.

Take care of you

Susie

:)
    Thanks to everyone for all their advice in this thread.

I will continue smoking the odd joint and drinking heavily(-ish) once or twice a week because neither seem to affect my depression which has been stable for many months now.

However, I must emphasize that I never drink / smoke in order to try and relieve my depressive "lows" - only when I'm feeling fine but just want to feel "finer" ;)

As for exercise, I can't recommend Ultimate Frisbee enough - just joined the society at uni and it kicks arse!

Cheers,
    Ben