Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

appointments with your gp

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
how long does it usually take for you to have your appointment after you ring up?

if i want to see my gp i have to wait like a month, but if i see a random doctor i manage to get an appointment 3 hours after i rang up.:rolleyes:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i have the same problem with my gp. i can never get an appointment with him straight away but somoene else can also see me. but i prefer to see my gp unless its really urgent as he has been my doc for 24 years and knows me best.
    I don't usually bother trying to get the same GP. It's bad, I know, because it would be useful to have one person get to know my history, but meh. I can usually get an appointment the same day as long as I'm not fussed who I see. At my uni health centre you can usually get a next day appointment.
    to see any gp at my surgery its about 5 working days....

sucks like :p
    Most of the times I would be able to get down there that day but it depends how busy he is. In the mornings you can usually see him with in the hour.
    Our surgery has a new system where you can only get an appointment if you phone up on the day you want the appointment and then you get it on that day if that makes sense.
    i can usually see her in about 3 days. if it's urgent, they will get a doctor to see me within hours, but it could be any doctor in the practice.

wakefield may be a shithole, but it's health service is top class.
    at mine, you have to phone up on the same day that you want an appointment and i don't think they do advance bookings. i think that's such a good idea, rather than having to wait like a week which we used to have to do. by then you're almost better anyway!

tbh, i don't even know who MY doctor is, I've always just phoned and said whoever. it doesn't bother me that I see different ones.
    ^^^^ That's what I was meaning.
    Originally posted by lipsy
    tbh, i don't even know who MY doctor is, I've always just phoned and said whoever. it doesn't bother me that I see different ones.

I don't think I even have one. My one left, and i may have a new one, but i don't really know. It's certainly not a problem anyway.
    I don't think it matters what doctor you see as long as you see a doctor.
    I once waited 6 weeks to see the GP at my surgery I like the most.

At the uni Health centre most of the day is "open" surgery i.e. just show up and wait, no appointment needed.
    Old people are always in the doctors and some of them have such petty health complaints and that is probarly a reason why it is so hard to get an appointment I think.
    Originally posted by Randomgirl
    At the uni Health centre most of the day is "open" surgery i.e. just show up and wait, no appointment needed.

They do that 3 days a week at my docs, only once you get there you get given a time & can come back later. It think its great.
    With me it could be that day or it could be a week later, it depends really on who i want to see, like which doctor, but if i need to see the nurse its usually the following day. :)
    Originally posted by lipsy
    at mine, you have to phone up on the same day that you want an appointment and i don't think they do advance bookings.

argh. my old surgery did that and it used to drive me nuts. they'd always tell you to ring after 8 on the day you wanted to come.

so you'd ring at 8. engaged. and every time you try for the next hour. engaged.

9.30. finally get through. 'sorry, all the appointments for today are booked. call tomorrow after 8'

:mad: :mad: :mad:
    Yeah we have to phone at 8.30 on the day you want the appointment and it's always engaged its stupid really because it could take ages to get an appointment. It's a right pain in the bum when you REALLY need to see a doctor that day and you can't.

We also have an emergany surgery that is at 9-10 I think and you just turn up and you get seen to if it's really important.
    Sometimes I can get to see them that day. otherwise its like the next day or 2 days later. Its never really that long.
    Originally posted by *lil~miss*
    Old people are always in the doctors and some of them have such petty health complaints and that is probarly a reason why it is so hard to get an appointment I think.

You don't know that for a fact. In actual fact what you have said is utter rubbish. Most old people suffer permanent ill health and just because you deem them to not be suffering from something serious doesn't mean it is the case. Shame on you.

At my surgery you are seen within 48 hours unless it is an emergency in which case you can go down and wait until the doctor will see you when he has a space.