Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

scared about starting new job

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok i know this sounds stupid but im starting a new job as a travel consultant on tuesday, the thing is i have been out of work for few months cos i was sick and now im going back into a job i have no experience in and it scares me..

There is going to be training but im scared in case i cant do it.. when i go back to work i lose all my sick benefit payments and im scared that il have nothing to fall back if it doesnt work out.. im freaking myself out so much ive even considered not taking the job at all even though its a great opportunity for me, how can i get over my fear, any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    First of all.... CONGRATULATIONS! And well done! :D

I know what you mean about being scared that you can't do it... But try and hold on to the fact that the employer interviewed you and decided you would be suitable for the job... it is their responsiblity, not yours, to make sure you have enough training to make you competent to do your job... It doesn't matter how many questions you ask, how many times you ask them or how long it takes you to get the hang of things, so long as when you've learnt how to do stuff then you can do them well and are a good employee; and they've already desided you look like you have the potential for that... so trust them! They won't leave you without any help or not knowing what you're doing, because they know you will be representing them and want you to do it well.
    I'm sure once you start and begin your training you'll relax a little because I'm sure they'll be very reasurring. :)

Everyone gets at least a little nervous before doing new things; it's completly normal.
  • Options
    Lu_C wrote: »
    hold on to the fact that the employer interviewed you and decided you would be suitable for the job

I agree with Lu_C, you should be so proud of yourself, you have been brave enough to go through the application process and interview process and out of all the people they would have seen, you are the one they wanted to be part of their team! The first time you try anything new it's going to be scary, but that doesn't mean its going to be a bad experience. Undertaking training can be fun and challenging and you might not get it at first but you will have colleagues there to help and support you and they will know exactly how to help as they would have been the new person at some point as well. Be brave and remember all the new situations you have had to deal with in the past and how you coped, new school, college, clubs, presentations! You will be fine, have some faith in yourself :yes:
  • Options
    I went back to work 6 weeks ago after being sick and I was absolutely terrified.

Remember, the people employing you evidently think you are capable of doing the job, and whoever has said you're well enough to go back to work thinks you will manage, so there's no reason for it to be a problem, or for you to be any different to any new starter.

Make sure you've got everything you need, as the questions in advance about dress code/meals etc so that you can concentrate on learning what you need to do the job when you get there, rather than worrying about what you're wearing and whether you are going to get any lunch or not.

Then go for, go to have a good time as well as to work, and make sure you spoil yourself a bit when you get first get paid.

Good luck (not that you need it).
  • Options
    Just wondering how the first week went Cari. :chin:

Hope you enjoyed it. :)
  • Options
    starting a new job

Hi i'm Katie. I have been working as a Psychiatric nurse for three years and at the same time studying for an MSc in Psychotherapy. I am due to start my new job as a Psychotherapist in one weeks time and i'm absolutely terrified. Does anyone feel the same? and has anyone got any tips on how to manage my stress levels and fear? Sounds like the person's i was just reading has done really well in starting her new job, and i would value some support for this short period if anyone can help. It has been difficult asking for support from friends and collegues at my present job, due to what i think must be moving on and doing different things so it would be nice to talk to others without an agenda. Any support would be warmly welcome! :no: Katie