Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

home hair highlighting

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
a yay or a nay?

I booked this morning to get my highlights done again (my 2nd time) its only the t-section, copper blonde kind of colour. All was good, last time I paid £63 to get the highlights, a big cut, and style. Which I thought was a bit pricey but my hair deserved it (getting boring).

So after I booked it i just asked how much it would be so I could have the cash ready and she said £52!!!!!!!!!! What the HELL!? Im not paying that, no way.

So im considering one of 3 things, go to my local and perhaps less high profile hairdressers, or go to my college hairdressers - which im not worried about the quality im sure theyll do fine, but worried itll take hours, however it will be very cheap!

OR a home highlighting kit, has anyone ever used one, are they hard to do, any advice please really?

thanks

xxx

Comments

• Options
    mine went wrong and it looked like a huge orange spider had been squashed on my head. did you want a full head or just on the top?
  • Options
    I get my sister to do my highlights in the comfort of my own home, she has the dye/cap and all. God she went into the right career!
  • Options
    eeek the cap...horrid memories of the cap!

to the OP, i seriously wouldnt do it yourself unless ya quite good with all things hair, the box can make these things look so simple! also, you'd need someone to help ( i would think ) and they would need to be good as well

good luck whatever u do, let us know x
  • Options
    Get a good magazine and go to the college one sounds like the best solution.

I've done home ones before (admittedly neon pink) and it worked really well and came out fine, but I'd say you definitely need another person if you're going to use a highlighting cap, and you probably need someone else if you're going to use foils. If you use the cap make sure that the hair is coming through it from the root rather than going along under the cap for a bit first.
  • Options
    Get a good magazine and go to the college one sounds like the best solution.

If you use the cap make sure that the hair is coming through it from the root rather than going along under the cap for a bit first.

Lol that would look disasterous!! (sp) but its the one with the little comb, as oposed to home foils or the cap. soory I didnt explain that. and my sister would help me.

yeah il lthink ill pop into college salon on monday and see if they have any appts for this week.

thanks