Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Thieving Councils to Scrap Refuse Collections

13»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Dished out by Central Government to best of my knowledge.

But local councils set their own council tax rates, surely?
    But local councils set their own council tax rates, surely?

Based on the difference bewteen what the Central Govt allocates and what the local Govt "need".

It was this sum which leads to difference levels of council tax in similar areas of, say, London. It has always been the case - see Wandsworth in the 80s and some Labour councils in the current system.
    I don't think there's any perhaps about it.

Really ? :chin:

Perhaps . . . as you get older you will notice "perhaps" throughout the universe.
    You're deliberately obtuse in accepting the affects that practicalities have on ideals - and the world at large.

I accept the affects that the ideals of coercive people have on my world at large (resulting in frequent changes in MY practicalities).

I think the evolutionary term is adapt or die.
    I don't even think your way of things is necessarily morally superior either.

That`s for you to decide, of course.

However, I wouldn`t dream of forcing "my way" on ANYONE.
    Your way would frequently penalise the people who needed services the most, but simply couldn't afford to pay them.

:confused:

How would "my way" penalise anyone ?

If you perceived a person as needing a service, why do you assume I would stop you providing it .
    You only have to look at the American health care system to see how your way works. Still, I'm in danger of expounding the benefits of tax - which I fear is a separate debate entirely.

:confused:

I am no "expert" on the American health care system but Goddesses only know how you equate "my way" with it.

As for the "benefits of tax", surely they rest with the ones holding the guns.

Which neatly takes us back to council refuse collection.;)