Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

"Im giving up"

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
One of my pet hates.
People committing to giving up drugs when they know as well as i know that it ain't gonna happen.
I've had many boyfriends who have done it/ do it and many friends and from time to time i kid myself that I will give up too even though i know i won't.

so why do it?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It makes you feel better.:yes:

If you tell yourself your going to give up; its a bit like giving yourself permission to have one last line, spliff, pill, fag or whatever is your poison.

Once you have convinced yourself its ok to have your final hit because your giving up soon, the you can have your hit guilt free and enjoy it.

You will know when you are serious about giving up. I talked of giving up smoking both fags and green but never did, because i knew at the time I wasnt committed to giving up.

But remeber being addicted to something makes it really hard to give up.

:thumb:
    You say you are giving because you really really want to. You want to stop putting yourself through hell every monday-wednesday and you want to lead a normal life. You have noticed your health getting worse and having abnormal thoughts that make you worry you are going mental.

But somehow on a Friday after a hard weeks work all this forgotten, and you just want to be carefree and have fun, and you do, for about 12 hours. The rest is just a carryon to try to avoid reality. Then you start the whole damn cycle again.

Beleive me people aren't just saying it for the hell of it. Its not easy and just because they don't stick to it it does not mean the intention was not there.

Hit the nail straight on the head there!
    Sadly what it often means is giving up buying your own stash for a while. Although like people trying to give up smoking those still doing it will try and tempt them back so they don't feel like the last one to leave the sinking Titanic.

"I'm giivng up" often comes with the downer after a session, but it reallly needs to be a fully thought-out life-change decision. A friend constantly deletes all her dealers number to give up, then phones people at 5am to ask for them again. That isn't wanting to give up, that's just trying to make it harder to do it. You should want to not do it, not want to but find it difficult. We all know the lengths we can go to to get some in. As the saying goes, "i used to have a drug problem but I can afford it now."
    aye it pisses me off too, 90% of my mates have said numerous times they're gonna stop doing xyz.. ive never saw the point, you just make a wanker out of yourself and prove yourself wrong in the end

i havent once said i was going to stop taking anything (bar the odd day after, but that applies to everyone as you all know!!!) .. ive told myself id cut down and done it, but never decided to make a public display over it, pointless.
    Fuck that, I said that when I was off the yokes, "ah off them, swear my life" Then I took them but eventually went off them, depends on the drug, some people are easier than others.
    I haven't touched any Coke since I said I was giving it up. I have to admit I did ask someone for a line at a party when I was fucked but luckily he said no. I'm still taking other drugs, just no more charlie.
    Same goes for drinking. How many times have you been sitting at 10am at a party, only for someone to hit out with "That's it, no more drinking/pills/whatever for me!". You know they're talking shit, and they prove it when they're back doing it the next weekend. Does get pretty annoying.
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    I haven't touched any Coke since I said I was giving it up. I have to admit I did ask someone for a line at a party when I was fucked but luckily he said no. I'm still taking other drugs, just no more charlie.

Ah temptation reared its ugly head. Well done though, keep it up :thumb:
    A friednd of mine whos having a coke period at the mo just rang and said one of her mol;ars has crumbled cos of it! Didnt bother claiming shes giving up though!
    Hey, whilst I agree its annoying when people are clearly not serious about it.

But I think there is a fine line o be drawn between people who are frivolously saying these things, and people who have realized its gone too far and are genuinely looking for support or help. It would be a pity to mock those people or not take them seriously when they could really be trying to save themselves.
    pill 'ed wrote: »

Aw I had the BEST coke last night, and I'm NEVER a fan of coke, but that shit made my face numb for a good 20 minutes, hah. I was freaking out trying to drink my drink too, as I couldn't feel it properly. Awww it's mental.

But as for the orig. question, I have made lots of empty promises regarding drugs. I don't tan as many as I do, and I make sure that I have at least a week in between sessions.

When people make the same empty promise - but don't even attempt to cut down - then I see the point of it being heavy irritatable. I have a mate like that, and he's gonna lose his girlfriend over this eventually but he's only starting a teeny bit to realise the consequences of his actions, so I hope he'll sort himself oot.
    1983 wrote: »
    Aw I had the BEST coke last night, and I'm NEVER a fan of coke, but that shit made my face numb for a good 20 minutes, hah. I was freaking out trying to drink my drink too, as I couldn't feel it properly. Awww it's mental.

Freeze doesnt mean anything other than your stuff may be cut with novacaine or libocaine.
    Who honestly gives a flying fuck if somebody does or doesn't?

It's only if they have a genuine problem and they can't kick it that I'd be bothered.
    budda wrote: »
    Freeze doesnt mean anything other than your stuff may be cut with novacaine or libocaine.

Agreed.
    g_angel007 wrote: »
    Who honestly gives a flying fuck if somebody does or doesn't?

It's only if they have a genuine problem and they can't kick it that I'd be bothered.

Well personally i do give a 'flying fuck' about my friends/ boyfriend giving up ! Some of them do have 'genuine' problems and they can't 'kick it' so as a result, i'm 'bothered'.
    budda wrote: »

Ah well, I still had a jolly good time on it. :hyper:
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Give up, don't give up.
    Just don't make a big deal of it.

I'll never say "I'm never doing that again", because if I feel like it and it takes my fancy I'll always take it. As it goes though, the urges I get to take drugs are fading fast whilst the urges I'm getting to drink are on the increase.
    Weekender Offender 
    Well personally i do give a 'flying fuck' about my friends/ boyfriend giving up ! Some of them do have 'genuine' problems and they can't 'kick it' so as a result, i'm 'bothered'.

... and yet you quoted me, in which I was saying exactly that! :rolleyes:

If they have a problem, I would be bothered, otherwise I don't give a shit as people say things like that all the time. I'm not a fan of repeating myself.

It's just like somebody with a bad hangover saying "Oh God! I'm never drinking again!"

So - the point of your over-use of quotation marks was?

Also:
    I've had many boyfriends who have done it/ do it and many friends and from time to time i kid myself that I will give up too even though i know i won't.

I'm just trying to work out why, at 17, you have so many friends/boyfriends with what you say are genuine problems. Do YOU have a genuine problem? Have you answered your own question? If it's such a pet hate, why do it yourself? Are the lot of you really addicts, or just like the craic on a good night out and find the temptation a little too much? Personally, if it's still kept to recreational use, I wouldn't class it as a problem. More information?

I think if these were serious problems, you would have mentioned more in the first post. It's not normal to brush over something so lightly and class it as a pet hate, if it is honestly serious/life threatening etc etc.
    Skive wrote: »
    Give up, don't give up.
    Just don't make a big deal of it.

I'll never say "I'm never doing that again", because if I feel like it and it takes my fancy I'll always take it. As it goes though, the urges I get to take drugs are fading fast whilst the urges I'm getting to drink are on the increase.

Exactly.

I'm in the same boat on the urges front. I have a dabble now and again now, but I prefer just to get drunk.
    ive been replacing drugs with drink recently and all its resultin in is me gettin in shit with police at weekends

back to the drugs methinks! :chin:
    z- wrote: »
    ive been replacing drugs with drink recently and all its resultin in is me gettin in shit with police at weekends

back to the drugs methinks! :chin:

:lol:

You an angry drunk?
    no! the police over here are just cunts :mad:
    z- wrote: »
    no! the police over here are just cunts :mad:

:lol:

Ok