Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Short hair & growing it again...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am beginning to regret getting all my hair chopped off. I can't afford to keep it the length it looks good at, and although I like it the length it is at the moment (largely because of the way it was cut last time), I know that sooner rather than later, it will look like utter shite. But I want to grow it, because I want to be able to tie it up again and I want to be able to do more than just let it sit there looking fluffy every day, because I don't have time to put wax in it. I know it's gonna look like crap while I'm growing it, but I have a question:

Is there *anywaywhatsoever* to make it look better while I'm growing it? Like, style wise? I am currently sticking it behind my big black hairband, but this won't work if my fringe gets much longer. Hm. I can *justabout* afford one hair cut between now and my May Ball (when I'm getting it done again so it looks good on the day), but is it worth bothering for less than two months?

Hum di hum...

Bit random, but I'm not very good at making my hair look half decent at the best of times, so I need all the help I can get >.<.

Comments

• Options
    you could always clip it down with these kind of clips. Or you could try one of those hair bands with the combs in.
  • Options
    Growing out hair takes ages, and its a right pain! but you do need to get it cut regularly else it grows out without any shape. My hair grows from my crown so it grows longer at the back without growing much at the front, and looks a bit weird, so I kept having it taken up at the back and continued to grow the front and now it looks ok! I tried doing mine all sorts of ways when it was growing out, you should experiment to see what looks best. You can also try taking sea kelp tablets; I heard they helped your hair grow faster, started taking them and I was really pleased with the results. I dye mine so I could see the difference, 1cm of root regrowth every 2 weeks instead of every 4! yay!
  • Options
    Try clipping it artistically so it looks nice while its growing out? Other than that it might be worth getting a mate to trim it for you as it grows to keep a decent shape to it all. Also, hot showers are apparently the key to making your hair grow- Im not convinced- but its worth a shot, right?! ;)
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hi Franki, have you thought about going to a salon when they have student training days to get a very cheap or free haircut? I had my haircut the same as yours when I was 18 and felt exactly the same way- I was always skint and my hair grew out instead of down! I used to dye it a lot to generally try and improve the condition and (good short term, but perhaps not so much long term!) look of it when it was growing out, but then discovered I could get a decent cut for £10 or free on certain days in places like Tony & Guy and other decent hairdressers. Might be worth a browse... Other than Dobbin's clips idea sounds good. :yes:
  • Options
    I get my hair cut either for free or for £4.50 by a trainee, means you can have your hair cut as much as you like :D

Also tell them you're growing your hair and they should be able to cut it into a style which will look good as it grows, rather than growing out an old style

It is difficult and often you can't avoid the inbetweeny stage. If it gets too much wear a hat :thumb:
  • Options
    The cheapest student hair cut I can get that I know about is £15 :yeees:. And even that's a bit pricey. I am gonna go get it cut next Friday, methinks, and ask them to cut it so it looks decent as it's growing. Maybe that will work >.<.

I am also going to dye it red again. My mum will rip my head off, but I don't care :p.
  • Options
    Try John Michaels in Eld lane. They are cheaper than that for a short hair trim and theyre very good and all lovely.
    I wont go anywhere else.
  • Options
    Where is Eld Lane?
  • Options
    If you go down head st, nearly to where the junction of st johns street and crouch street is. Its the lane thats before that. Its got the st Helena hospice shop on the corner, and John Michaels hairdressers is just a few doors up from Lush.
  • Options
    pinkvans wrote: »
    You can also try taking sea kelp tablets; I heard they helped your hair grow faster, started taking them and I was really pleased with the results. I dye mine so I could see the difference, 1cm of root regrowth every 2 weeks instead of every 4! yay!

oo sounds like just the thing I need...my hairs at the annoying stage where I'd usually desperately want a chop to get it back into the style it is but i'm growing it so just going to have a trim!!

Where do you get these tablets from? Anywhere inparticular or just boots etc? Also ive read they can give you side effects such as spot breakouts etc..had any experience? x