Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

quick help about bitmap images needed!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right...well I just need to know the pixel size of some photos for my dissertation. How do I find this out?! Also, is it the same number of pixels regardless of what size I present the photo?
Aghh I hate all this technical stuff....

Thanks in advance to anyone :)

Comments

• Options
    Windows XP will tell you. Select the photo and it will tell you down the left hand side of the window.
  • Options
    Pink Soda wrote: »
    Also, is it the same number of pixels regardless of what size I present the photo?

On the screen - yes. On paper - it's largely irrelevant.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote: »
    Windows XP will tell you. Select the photo and it will tell you down the left hand side of the window.

Thanks....i've seleced it and it says 000_0247.jpeg and then 2032x1524 and then a percentage along the bottom...so I'm guessing its JPEG not Bitmap..what's the difference? Is the 2032x1524 the number of pixels?
  • Options
    Yea that's the number of pixels.

Basically the difference is, a bitmap holds discrete information about the colour of each pixel ( = big file size) and the jpeg is optimised to compress the data for photographs and such.

For simple images like logos you should use .png, as that is optimised to compress that kind of image.

People who use .gif should be shot :D