Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Do You Have An Accent??

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    katralla wrote: »
    I'm confused coz one and won are pronounced differently, surely?

I mean 'won' like the first sound of 'wok' but with an n instead of a k. Not as in won a prize. Although I'd pronounce that 'wun' too ;)
  • Options
    Nikki* wrote: »
    I have NO idea. I got told at college the other day I have a Stafford accent, but that means absolutely nowt to any of you lot I'm sure. :)

Since working in my last job I have realised very quickly what a stafford accent is!
  • Options
    Got a proper Yorkshire accent....
  • Options
    Ive got an Aberdonian accent.

Think scotland, but not like Glasgow or Edinburgh accents, its a bit harsher. Our vowels are shorter, and a lot of people dont pronounce their T's so 'butter' becomes 'bu-ur'. Not sure if thats just an Aberdonian thing ot not tho?
    We sound awfull on telly. If anyones ever seen the programme trawlermen, thats what I sound like, but not quite as broad, and female lol. Haha the BBC decided to give the show subtitles :d guess were not very easy to understand.
  • Options
    This is an old thread!

My dad claims I don't. However, I've been told by two people in the last year that my "accent" is hard to understand - one of them was from Glasgow and the other was from Liverpool.
  • Options
    Ive got an Aberdonian accent.

Think scotland, but not like Glasgow or Edinburgh accents, its a bit harsher. Our vowels are shorter, and a lot of people dont pronounce their T's so 'butter' becomes 'bu-ur'. Not sure if thats just an Aberdonian thing ot not tho?
    We sound awfull on telly. If anyones ever seen the programme trawlermen, thats what I sound like, but not quite as broad, and female lol. Haha the BBC decided to give the show subtitles :d guess were not very easy to understand.

What did you say?? LOL
    Don't worry about the bu-er, it's similar down here, although they don't have to put subtitles on Emmerdale Farm, haha..
    I think accents are great, except a certain one that if I mentioned it would probably start another WAR OF THE ROSES, lol... That's a big hint by the way..:chin:
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Melian wrote: »
    My dad claims I don't.
    That would be impossible, unless you were mute.
  • Options
    i have three. Norfolk, southern and Brummie.
  • Options
    I have a scouse - Liverpool - accent.
  • Options
    A kiwi accent with a slight hint of Scot - so often get asked if I'm from down south (I believe a lot of Scots migrated to South Island (prob cos it reminded them of home what with the coldness hawhawhaw ...) when they first came to NZ) and I have to reply with "*sigh* no ... my mum's Scottish and I've picked up that side of the family's accent"

And whenever I say something with an R in the middle, like work (werrk), my mate gets me to repeat it to mock me and I don't click on :(
  • Options
    A mix of scouse and manc...not sure if that's a good thing though :chin:
  • Options
    Pretty sure it's not... Lol
  • Options
    I dont think i have one :no:

If i did i think a southern irish one would be good
  • Options
    I have a poshish mixed with south london accent - which ends up sounding a bit australian but its not - for some reason this means i'm really hard to be understood by foreign people but not by english ones. Its a fairly common accent in the area where i grew up - put me next to a proper south london person and I sound really posh put me next to a posh person and i sound really sarrf london - humm
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote: »
    I have a poshish mixed with south london accent - which ends up sounding a bit australian but its not - for some reason this means i'm really hard to be understood by foreign people but not by english ones. Its a fairly common accent in the area where i grew up - put me next to a proper south london person and I sound really posh put me next to a posh person and i sound really sarrf london - humm

What does a "posh accent" sound like?
  • Options

I think people confuse posh with some Southern accents. Lots of grarrrrss and barrrrth and stuff.

I think my accent's just a plain south one, but I know I sometimes put more Welshy inflections on things, especially if I spend a lot of time with my granny. When I was a kid I used to have a Devon farmer type accent, but I think I used to put that on quite a lot to piss my mum off.
  • Options
    Because i am in the middle of the country, people up North have asked if i am a londoner and when i have been more south people say i sound like a farmer lol x
  • Options
    grace wrote: »
    When I was a kid I used to have a Devon farmer type accent, but I think I used to put that on quite a lot to piss my mum off.

An uncle of mine has sounds like a farmer.
  • Options

Margot Leadbetter (I love her!)
  • Options
    Well when I have my telephone voice on people ask if i'm American, which i find hugely offensive, but my accent is pretty much an Edinburgh accent, maybe slightly posh, but i'm like Wyetry in that put me next to the proper posh people and I sound well common, but next to rougher Edinburgh accents I sound super posh
  • Options
    South Wales accent. A lot of my English mates say I sound like Rhod Gilbert.
  • Options
    still the same
  • Options
    I've been in Stafford for 11 years, so my accent is fairly neutral. If anything, slightly Black Country, but nothing anywhere near as strong as Brummie or Dudley.
  • Options
    Some would call mine posh. I would call it correct.
  • Options
    i speak like the ones off hollyoaks, because im from northern ireland and so are they. :blush: its really awful, but i like it :d