Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Do You Have An Accent??

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If so what is it??

Comments

• Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    :yes:

I have a Scottish accent. Not a harsh glasgow / edinburgh accent, but a soft highland one.

Once, I was asked if I was american :yeees:
  • Options
    Yeh I have a southern accent. This means I pronounce grass like its spelt grarse and path like its spelt parth and the northerners mock me.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    A Greek accent, obviously, though I try to mask it as American when speaking English. Because I can't manage to do a British one by any means, and because it sounds much better than a Greek accent speaking English, believe me.
    In the times I've been to London (except the last one in 2003) people I spoke to used to reply in Spanish. :o
  • Options
    Yeh I have a southern accent. This means I pronounce grass like its spelt grarse and path like its spelt parth and the northerners mock me.
    Same, although my "u" vowels are getting more fronted the longer I stay up here and if I'm talking to my Yorkie bar friend then I say grAss and pAth even though I say GRARSE and PARTH with everyone else.
  • Options
    Well aparently I have a northern accent... according to someone whom I won't mention... who rang me in a drunken state from a train station in the earlier hours of the morning last week. You know who you are! :p

Although my friends say I sound posh... So I guess that'd be posh notherny-middlandsy type accent.
  • Options
    Just typical southern, not posh, not common.
  • Options
    Same, although my "u" vowels are getting more fronted the longer I stay up here and if I'm talking to my Yorkie bar friend then I say grAss and pAth even though I say GRARSE and PARTH with everyone else.

yeh i am finding myself starting to say more nothern things but i'm home for easter to re-southern myself. i say some things a bit scottishy as my mums a scot. my accents a bit confused.god lord knows whats going to happen next year when i'm off to vienna then bordeaux.
  • Options
    I don't think I do yanno.

Apparently you can tell I'm northern but its not strong or owt.
  • Options
    i have a welsh accent

tis not that strong but I do get random english people on the phone asking if i'm from wales :eek2:
  • Options
    Welsh Jemz wrote: »
    i have a welsh accent

tis not that strong but I do get random english people on the phone asking if i'm from wales :eek2:

I like a Welsh accent :yes:
  • Options
    I don't think I do yanno.

Apparently you can tell I'm northern but its not strong or owt.

You are blantely nothern from your accent but its not from anywhere in particular.
  • Options
    :no: nope
  • Options
    I've an Aberdonian accent which really comes out when I'm trolleyed.

I have sort of moved about a bit for the last couple of years though and picked up the odd twang and people back home rip the piss saying I've lost my identity :crying:
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Everyone has an accent. You can't have no accent.
  • Options
    I have NO idea. I got told at college the other day I have a Stafford accent, but that means absolutely nowt to any of you lot I'm sure. :)
  • Options
    I don't have an accent. Everyone else does.
  • Options
    I have moved around a lot, so i dont really have a noticeable accent, hence why people ask where im from, then express suprise :D

I suppose it must be an accent but its not identifiable.

:thumb:
  • Options
    Funny enough, most of the people I've spoken to said I have got Dutch accent :eek2: In fact I've got nothing to do with the Dutch and never ever been there!
  • Options
    You are blantely nothern from your accent but its not from anywhere in particular.

Haha, ok.

Nikki* - I know what a Stafford accent is like. My flatmate is from Stafford.
  • Options
    Mutes don't have accents.
  • Options
    Ha 3 post at 10:50.
  • Options
    No. I speak normal. I say words how the dictionary says to (especially th and not f... oh no amount of grrr-ness can explain my hatred toward that.)

I speak like everybody wishes they would :p
  • Options
    Mine is an Ashington one hehe. People outisde of the north east mistake it for a Geordie one but it is different. This is something like it.
  • Options
    A Greek accent, obviously, though I try to mask it as American when speaking English. Because I can't manage to do a British one by any means, and because it sounds much better than a Greek accent speaking English, believe me.
    In the times I've been to London (except the last one in 2003) people I spoke to used to reply in Spanish. :o
    For good or bad, you Greek folks could never speak any other language without putting your own accent in it. The Spanish amigos too.
  • Options
    Haha, ok.

Nikki* - I know what a Stafford accent is like. My flatmate is from Stafford.

Wahay! (Feel sorry for your flatmate like) That's what I sound like then ;)
  • Options

Same here...
  • Options
    Not that i know of duck.
  • Options
    I've got a good old northern accent. Think Peter Kay but a teeny bit less broad and thats what you've got :D
  • Options
    Everyone from the North thinks I have a posh accent. I sometimes sound a bit southern. But my southern mates think I sound like a Notherner. So I'm "mosh" (as Diamond Geezer says) because i'm a posh mancunian.
  • Options
    Think West Country mixed with Southern and you got my accent :thumb: