Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Can't bring myself to...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
... take a pair of scissors to 9 art books I bought from a charity shop.

I have a project at college called 'hair and makeup through the ages' and I've got to find original images of hair and makeup from the ancient egyptians through to the present day.

I found a pile of old art books from the 70's (set of 20, I bought 9) and I have to cut them up and stick the pictures onto paper.

But, I can't do it! It feels like I'm committing a crime or something. In the words of John Bender "it's wrong to destroy literature!"......

Any lasting words of encouragement??? :nervous: :nervous: :nervous:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Unless they're one of a kind priceless artefacts that you luckily stumbled across, all I have to say is "CUT THEM UP DE FUCK"
    noooo, I know what you mean.
    Id find that hard.
    I could never understand people that highlighted text in books for college either - it just seems wrong.
    Id find that hard.
    I could never understand people that highlighted text in books for college either - it just seems wrong.

:yes:

Postits are better imo, if you fuck it up you can take it off and write a new one!
    Photocopy the pages then cut the copys up.
    create some sort of installation with the books instead... place them artistically on your lecturer's desk with a title :thumb:
    Renzo wrote: »
    Photocopy the pages then cut the copys up.

:yes: That's what I'd suggest too...
    just do it, it's only a book! :)
    nelly_bar wrote: »
    :yes: That's what I'd suggest too...
    Already looked into that; £1 a copy, and I have to have a minimum of 5 images for each century/decade (there's 22 in total) :eek:

I suppose I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and just cut them up. I feel so wrong!!
    do a little prayer asking for forgiveness for what you are about to do, to the god of literature/
    do a little prayer asking for forgiveness for what you are about to do, to the god of literature/

Haha :)
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Already looked into that; £1 a copy,

Where do you do your photocopying? Harrods?

Its like 10p a colour photocopy at our uni :s
    Do you not have a scanner you could use?
    JsT wrote: »

I spent £8 photocopying legislation today :(
    do you know someone with a scanner?
    ... take a pair of scissors to 9 art books I bought from a charity shop.

I have a project at college called 'hair and makeup through the ages' and I've got to find original images of hair and makeup from the ancient egyptians through to the present day.

I found a pile of old art books from the 70's (set of 20, I bought 9) and I have to cut them up and stick the pictures onto paper.

But, I can't do it! It feels like I'm committing a crime or something. In the words of John Bender "it's wrong to destroy literature!"......

Any lasting words of encouragement??? :nervous: :nervous: :nervous:

No!!! No!!! No!!!!! Don't do it......it IS criminal (in Hannah's big book of law anyway....:lol: )...cutting up books is terrible...and sad....and if they're old books of 70s fashion, if you cut them up, means no-one else can enjoy them.....and that makes me saaaad.....:( plpease don't!!
    JsT wrote: »

My local library charges £1 for one colour photocopy. Not sure what it is at my college though.

I have a scanner, but it becomes expensive in printer cartridges. I've already scanned about 90 pictures which I'm yet to print because of a lack of funding for ink.

Urgh, college never make it easy do they? :no:
    HanHan wrote: »
    No!!! No!!! No!!!!! Don't do it......it IS criminal (in Hannah's big book of law anyway....:lol: )...cutting up books is terrible...and sad....and if they're old books of 70s fashion, if you cut them up, means no-one else can enjoy them.....and that makes me saaaad.....:( plpease don't!!

If that makes you sad, then maybe I shouldn't tell you my old college library threw every book out that hadn't been taken home in over 3 years. Which was well over half the books. A library just filled of harry potter and story books. Bit of a shame, really.
    Just cut them up. And I LOVE books saying that.
    Id find that hard.
    I hate doing that so much :(. But my English teacher makes me! I had to do it to my two favourite books for my Extended Essay as well :crying:.
    Take it to Prontaprint, its about 5p a copy there.