Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Climate Change

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Im watching the Great Global Warming Swindle on Ch 4 this evening.

I have always been part of the 'climate change is real brigade', however this TV programme is really throwing doubt on the theory carbon dioxide is causing the planet to warm.

Just wondering, do you believe in climate change? This programme is suggesting the temperature on earth changes natrualy and its nothing to do with human intervention.

Any thoughts? :thumb:

Comments

• Options
    I believe that the whole global warming idea is partly humans being arrogant enough to think we can control the planet and partly UN scientists peddling the same ideas just to keep the gravy train moving.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    I believe that the whole global warming idea is partly humans being arrogant enough to think we can control the planet and partly UN scientists peddling the same ideas just to keep the gravy train moving.

interesting :yes: Thats what this TV programme says. I have always just took for granted that climate change is the fault of us humans.

I can see why people and governments would want climate change to be a human problem

:thumb:
  • Options
    I don't think pumping all these chemicals in the air is a good thing, but I don't think we're causing global warming and I don't think global warming is the environmental damage we should be worrying about.
  • Options
    balls, i wanted to watch that program, instead I piddled around looking up who was right in a petty coffee shop arguement over the conditional tense. good program then?
  • Options
    Still on.
  • Options
    our consumption of oil bsed products is stupid and unwise

and i believe this was shown last year too, and got mocked heavily, something to do with poor testing and dubious funding with extraordinary claims

yes im annoyed with peopel going on about climate change all the time, it isnt that that is necesserily the biggest problems its our overconsumption of non-renewable fuels AND deforestation which people forget

lets remember the amazon is only a 1/3 of what it used to be in 1930s and it processes approx 20-40% of the worlds cabron dioxide into oxygen+wood
  • Options
    lets remember the amazon is only a 1/3 of what it used to be in 1930s and it processes approx 20-40% of the worlds cabron dioxide into oxygen+wood

You have to agree that too much carbon dioxide is a problem for that to prove anything.

I don't think our consumption or our deforestation is a good thing, but I don't believe in the whole global warming gravy train. Two warm summers doesn't mean the world is getting hotter, just as ten years ago two cold winters didn't mean we were heading for ice age.
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    Im watching the Great Global Warming Swindle on Ch 4 this evening.

I have always been part of the 'climate change is real brigade', however this TV programme is really throwing doubt on the theory carbon dioxide is causing the planet to warm.

Just wondering, do you believe in climate change? This programme is suggesting the temperature on earth changes natrualy and its nothing to do with human intervention.

Any thoughts? :thumb:

This is what we're doing in my Environmental Systems lessons right now.

The earth does go through cycles of warming and cooling (hence Ice Age), because of the Greenhouse Effect, which occurs naturally. And that means people can argue that Global Warming is bollocks and whatnot and that it's all just natural and we're just going through a warm phase and blahblah. BUT we are making it worse with carbon emissions and methane and stuff.

There is a train of thought which says that stopping carbon emissions would actually have an adverse effect because the the gases emitted were absorbing solar radiation, and cutting them out completely would fuck everything up a bit.

I can tell you all about the Greenhouse Effect and Global Warming, me :D.
  • Options
    If this TV programme is to be believed, why shouldnt i get in my gas guzziling car drive to the airport and catch a nice carbon emitting flight somewhere.:yes:

And why the hell are wel paying 'green taxes' such as the increase in air passanger duty.

The programme has just made me see a complete different side to what i believed was the truth

• Options
    You have to agree that too much carbon dioxide is a problem for that to prove anything.

I don't think our consumption or our deforestation is a good thing, but I don't believe in the whole global warming gravy train. Two warm summers doesn't mean the world is getting hotter, just as ten years ago two cold winters didn't mean we were heading for ice age.

i don't like it when they blame everything on global warming, most of it is sheer bad luck like normal

yes i dont like the governments milking, and i hate bono even more, but even you must admit if they were making a serious statement they'd put it in for peer review which is very reliable at spotting modelling errors etc

the rainforest in the amazon alone accounts for removing most of the CO2, thus deforesting it, at an alarming scale would suggest that it would increase CO2 levels and thus increase the greenhouse effect

however this program and it's makers are very dubious, they done a program on how GM is good for nature, how breast implants are healthy, and now this.... only channel 4 seems to buy it either

that show was a load of tosh, all hyperbole and rhetoric, and yes i know things like volcanos have an effect etc we add to it emmensely, and we reduce the ability to reabsorb it

one good semi-reliable link http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/09/060913-sunspots.html

just have a read
  • Options
    And why the hell are wel paying 'green taxes' such as the increase in air passanger duty.

We're paying that because Gordon Brown has bankrupted the country in seven years.
  • Options
    We're paying that because Gordon Brown has bankrupted the country in seven years.

yeh thats just crap it should of gone towards the solar power grants which ran out in 90mins this month

technically he just bought it back from what he lowered it to himself

another good link that actually provides real information not some people just giving their rhetoric
    http://environment.newscientist.com/channel/earth/climate-change/mg19325884.500

and if you skip all the exxonmobil bashing and read on in http://environment.guardian.co.uk/climatechange/story/0,,1875762,00.html its quite useful
  • Options
    it's hard to show how much global warming is natural and how much is caused by man, but i don't think you can doubt that it is accelerating......it's not about having two warm summers in a row, it's about polar ice caps melting at record speed, flowers blooming earlier every year, animals migration patterns changing, heavy pollution from asia causing abnormal cloud formations and causing more erratic weather, etc etc....in a few years places like the maldives will be underwater, maybe then people will start to take it seriously.....i think it's too late to prevent or reverse it but we should be doing a lot more to prepare for the inevitable consequences.
  • Options
    This programme is produced by Martin Durkin, a fellow traveller of the nutty LM group (a strange offshoot of the Revolutionary Communist Party), an anti-environmentalist and free market pressure group. A previous documentary of his about the environmental movement, drew fierce criticism from the Independent Television Commission, for distortion and misrepsentation. Take tonight's programme with a pinch of salt.

http://www.gmwatch.org/profile1.asp?PrId=39
    http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=LM_group
    http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/archive/itc/itc_publications/complaints_reports/programme_complaints/show_complaint.asp-prog_complaint_id=40.html
  • Options
    We've been pushing heavy industry for over 100 years and there has been at least one car on the road every hour of every day for about the same amount of time.

Logically, how could that not affect the climate?
  • Options
    I don't have a TV (I despise advertising and the fact I have to pay to watch it), so I can't catch the program.

One question I'll always ask is that if climate change is not happening, or if we are not making it happen faster than it normally would then what would be the motive to say that it is happenening? The world isn't run by paper, it's run by oil.

Kermit, the UNIPCC is only mentioning human impact because that is what they are there for, to figure out mankind's impact on the planet. It is not just about the warm summers, think about how the weather is changing globally, how the polar caps are melting ect.
  • Options
    The reason we should pay green taxes and why we shouldn't drive everywhere in our gas guzzling cars is that it does give off a lot of shit, and it is bad for the environment.
  • Options
    The point was that climate changes, it always has and it always will. Go back to the 1400s and it was considered a mini ice-age. Go back a thousand years and the temperature was much higher than it is today.

Did anyone read recently about how under a part of the sea, theres a big gap in the Earth's crust and Scientists think that could be warming up the planet?

Also.. I didn't watch all of the program. How did they explain the hole in the O-Zone layer?
  • Options
    It's not a question of the climate changing. Is a question of how rapidly is doing so. NEVER before in recorded history have the changes happened so quickly.

Quite simply the Earth has never seen anything like it before. The many different ecosystems, habitats and species affected by it have never seen anything like it before. And everyone who still claims there is no such thing as man-made climate change or that it does not really matter is a complete fool whose reasoning is no better than someone who claims the earth is really 6,000 years old and fossils are fake and buried underground by godless scientists.

I can only hope their houses lie in low land and when they lie in 3 feet of water in a couple of decades' time they have time to ponder if what's happening around the world really has nothing to do with man-made climate change.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    According to one of Plato's stories, an egyptian once said that once in a big amount of years something happens and the whole world becomes unhabitable, except the areas around the Nile (or something like this, I'm not so sure).
    Supposedly, every time this happens society has to start all over. Maybe it's a natural thing, maybe it's caused by people every time society gets to a certain point.

Does anyone want to go to Egypt? :D
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    balls, i wanted to watch that program, instead I piddled around looking up who was right in a petty coffee shop arguement over the conditional tense. good program then?
    You can watch it on the Channel 4 website, but you need to download some Flash viewer thing. It might turn up on E4 in a short while.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    NEVER before in recorded history have the changes happened so quickly.

Erm... 200 years max?
    Quite simply the Earth has never seen anything like it before.

We don't know that.
    I can only hope their houses lie in low land

Like London? ;)
  • Options
    Erm... 200 years max?
    No, I didn't make myself clear enough. Can get a pretty good idea from geological and ice studies of the different ages the planet have gone through. Up until now it has always been a very gradual process. There is no record or indication of such massively fast rise in temperatures ever... no surprising seeing as it is an entirely man-made phenomenon.

Like London? ;)
    I don't live in a low laying area though... If water does reach my house the entire country is fucked :D
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    There is no record or indication of such massively fast rise in temperatures ever... no surprising seeing as it is an entirely man-made phenomenon.

The TV programme yesterday argued it wasnt a man made phenomenon. Any scientist/ academic who doesnt agree with that story that man created climate change is victimised and ignored.

There were many clever scientist and academics on the programme who all wanted to make their opinions clear on climate change, and air their beliefs that climate change was no a fault of human industrilisation.
  • Options
    The TV programme yesterday argued it wasnt a man made phenomenon. Any scientist/ academic who doesnt agree with that story that man created climate change is victimised and ignored.
    That would perhaps be because there is overwhelming evidence that tells us climate change is man made, and because right-wing think tanks and political parties have been funding and even offering cash to anyone who casts a doubt on man-made global warming.

There might be some genuine and unbiased scientists who doubt it of course... I don't think there has ever been a single issue in human history for which there was 100% consensus. But then if we were to avoid taking action on an issue because there isn't universal agreement on it we'd still be living in trees.
  • Options
    Before watching the programme, i was a strong believer in climate change being a human problem etc. However after watching the programme, i certainly have some doubts in my mind now.

These academics/ scientists laughed at the idea they were being funded by the oil companies or governements. They were putting their reputations on the line, purely so people could hear there was strong evidence that climate change wasnt a human problem.

All i can say is watch the programme because it was very convincing :D

• Options

There were many clever scientist and academics on the programme who all wanted to make their opinions clear on climate change, and air their beliefs that climate change was no a fault of human industrilisation.

That programme was made by someone with a particular axe to grind against environmentalists.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »
    Also.. I didn't watch all of the program. How did they explain the hole in the O-Zone layer?

anyone?
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »
    anyone?

I dont think it was mentioned tbh
  • Options
    I don't think they mentioned it. It's not relevant to the issue of global warming.