Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Sciencey people...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I know this is in the wrong forum but I need help *now* because this is due tomorrow and I've had a complete mind blank. I will move it when I get my answer :o.

I'm doing a plan for an experiment involving growing cress seeds in sulphuric acid of varying molarity. I know what my independent variable is (the number of seeds that germinate) but I can't remember what control factor and independent variable mean (she did explain but I'm a complete knob and didn't write it down thinking I'd remember and haven't), or rather what the difference is between the two. I know control factor is what stays constant throughout (like the amount of solution and the number of seeds) but I am lost on independent variables :(.

If someone could explain this to me, it would be mighty helpful :o.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Sounds interesting. :shocking:
  • Options
    Are you testing to see how many seeds germinate in different strengths?

In which case the constant is the number of seeds used, the light source used, and the type of seeds used. The independent variable is the strength of the solution.

The control factor is what doesn't change, and the variable is what you change.
  • Options
    Isn't the independent variable the solution you are growing them in? And then the dependent variable is the amount of seeds that germinate. I guess a control would be growing seeds without the solution so that you could compare the two. Dunno though, cos that's based on the sociolinguistics seminar from this afternoon, and we didn't do owt with cress!
  • Options
    The molarity of the acid.
  • Options
    the independant variable in the thing that stays the same - the dependant variable is the outcome of the ID
    control factors are all the things you'll keep the same....so pretty much everything apart from the ID
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    Are you testing to see how many seeds germinate in different strengths?

In which case the constant is the number of seeds used, the light source used, and the type of seeds used. The independent variable is the strength of the solution.

The control factor is what doesn't change, and the variable is what you change.
    :heart:

Thank you :D
  • Options
    Next time I'm stuck on homework I'm coming here. 4 minutes, that's impressive!
  • Options
    ^ well i'm in the middle of doing biology AS coursework myself