Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

STI Test

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Booked myself in. Monday. Shitting it. :shocking:

Anyone else gone through this experience? Feel fine, no signs of anything atall, but its all worry at the minute :crazyeyes

Not had one before an I've had sex a few times unprotected. Feel so stupid. I just thought about it all the other day, now I cant get the thought out of my head.

Comments

• Options
    Don't worry hunny. I had some weird stomach cramps back last year and they decided to check for STI's to be safe. It wasn't til then that I thought back over stuff that had happened and felt incredibly stupid and scared. I came back clean which was a massive relief- and Im sure you will too- but I know what waiting for the results feels like and you have my sympathy! Just learn from it and if you think you may have put yourself at risk in the past, just don't do it again. Sorry if that sounds patronising but like everything in life, you just gotta learn what you can from it and move on. I really hope it goes ok for you :)
  • Options
    Its such an head fuck! :| Ta for the reassurance! going with a mate who's also getting checked out
  • Options
    I went for an check-up last year at a sexual health clinic, I was really pleased with the service, it could not have been done better! They were really nice to me, treated me with a lot of respect and were very sensitive with regards to being discreet. It was overall a good experience.
  • Options
    Were you nervous? Ive gotten the worst case scenario into my head!
  • Options
    Box wrote: »
    Were you nervous? Ive gotten the worst case scenario into my head!

Yes I was quite nervous but I found that they put me at ease.

Even if you do get a bad result most things can be treated okay nowadays once you know you've got them.

I was more nervous about the tests themselves rather than the results but it was okay. (Obviously it's different for women than to men but I guess the embarrassment and nerves issues are pretty similar).
  • Options
    Also, you might like to look at this sticky thread from the sex forum: http://vbulletin.thesite.org/showthread.php?t=65598

Most of the comments are good in that thread.
  • Options
    How long does it take for the results?
  • Options
    How long does it take for the results?

The majority of the tests took a week for the results to come, the test for candida was done whilst I waited which only took about half an hour but the others have to be left to like grow or something before they can be tested.

There was a choice of how to get the results - I got to address the envelope myself so you could put a different address to where you live if you prefer e.g. you could put a friend's address or work address if that is better than where you live for whatever reason.
  • Options
    I had a blood test over christmas for something unrelated, would they have come accross HIV if it were present? I've had sex with one person only before an after the test.

Is taking blood the only way to find out youve got HIV?
  • Options
    I had a blood test over christmas for something unrelated, would they have come accross HIV if it were present? I've had sex with one person only before an after the test.

Is taking blood the only way to find out youve got HIV?

It depends what they tested it for!

The HIV test is a blood test as was one of the other things I was tested for (can't remember which, hepatitis maybe?).

It can take up to three months for HIV to show up in the test from getting infected so you could need to be re-tested at a later date if you think you could have picked it up in the last three months.
  • Options
    Im not worried about the girl I slept with recently,, its more like September last year and before. Would I have noticed any symptons by now?
  • Options
    Im not worried about the girl I slept with recently,, its more like September last year and before. Would I have noticed any symptons by now?

Not necessarily, that's why the tests are so important. After I had my test I felt really glad as I think I'd been living with the fear that I could have something from years ago that I didn't know about, once you get the all clear it feels really good to know you are healthy.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    After I had my test I felt really glad as I think I'd been living with the fear that I could have something from years ago that I didn't know about, once you get the all clear it feels really good to know you are healthy.

I bet!

They tested my blood, I don't know what for though, I was out of it. Think it was a blood count?
  • Options
    Ooof your first post sounds like it could be written by me. I'm exactly the same :] havent got any symptoms or owt but after reading various magazines articles in the girly mags about STD's and how common they are, and knowing that iv had unprotected sex, me and my best mate have both booked ourselves in for a checkup.

im so scared about it though, its all i can think about, which is weird cus before me and my friend talked about it i never really thought or worried about it at all.

lets compare results, mines on wednesday. :p haha. :]
  • Options
    Aye, I don't expect to have anything, I haven't had any symptoms down below, or anything else thats associated with an STI past to present. Just you never know do ya? Its gonna be a hard week! I've got a shit load other things to think about at the minute an all. Head fuck. I said to my mate, hey I'm gonna get tested, you fancy getting done an all? He said yeah. We've both been looking up all the infections all day.
  • Options
    obviously i can't say for men..but i had one last year and it was fine. :) i'm sure i posted about it in response to a thread at the time - gave quite a detailed account. you will be fine, it's a bit uncomfy but you expect that. the ladies who i had were very nice and they spoke to me to distract me from what was going on. the worst bit was when you have to put your legs in the stirrups and the lady goes between your legs! but you soon get over the initial embarrassment.
  • Options
    I had 2 women do my bum lumps at my clinic. My clinic's really nice though, like most others, stretched to it's limit. Funny thing is, when they brought in the liquid nitrogen, it was in a metal flask and i thought they were going to have a cup of tea before they started :blush:
  • Options
    Its more the results im worried about. I dont mind a nurse fiddling with me thingy either :D
  • Options
    I dont mind a nurse fiddling with me thingy either :D

Yeah just hope you don't get a hard on :razz:
  • Options
    Yeah just hope you don't get a hard on

Didnt think about that! Whats worse? Having a minger of a nurse fondle your knob, or having a fittie do that and give you a massive lob on?
  • Options
    the day is here :O
  • Options

good luck! hehe. :]
  • Options

Good luck! :) :thumb:
  • Options
    Swear, I've never been so scared in me life!
  • Options
    good luck! hehe. :]
    HanHan wrote: »
    Good luck! :) :thumb:

:thumb:

Ta! x
  • Options
    Did it go okay?
  • Options
    Yes thanks! I'm clean. They assured me the chance of me getting HIV is 1/10000. Refreshing experience. I get the blood test results next week. Should be alright. Rather painful thing they shove down ya jap sign though. Eye watering! :shocking:
  • Options
    try having a metal clamp shoved up your foo foo and then having it opened! although yes i can understand that what men have may be a little painful.
    glad it went ok. :)
  • Options
    Yes thanks! I'm clean. They assured me the chance of me getting HIV is 1/10000. Refreshing experience. I get the blood test results next week. Should be alright. Rather painful thing they shove down ya jap sign though. Eye watering! :shocking:

Yeah....I bet....doesn't sound too great!! : / Bet you feel a million times better having done it and knowing you're clean though?? :) Good work!! :thumb:
  • Options
    Yeah, I had trouble sleeping the past week, I had it on my mind that much! Was a long weekend anyway! Still, if I dont hear anything from the GUM next week, Im to assume Im completely clean from everything.

I nabbed about 20 condoms off the clinic. I never want to worry like I was again. Puts things into perspective.