Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Metal or whatever it is

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I was in the pub the other week and there was this Metal band playing and it almost made my ears bleed! It sounded like monkeys had been given some guitars and a drum kit. The singer was just screaming shit down the mic, how do people enjoy this row?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    :lol: I used to listen to that. I still like some Metal bands, but not the one's that just scream, one's that actually have melody and skill aswell.
    It's just noise aimed at teenagers who want to annoy their parents.
    some metal is brilliant....but there is a lot of crap out here thats aimed at teen angst :shocking:
    Define metal? It's a really wide ranging genre. I like some metal, good heavy riffs are good to bop along too. Don't like the screaming though, it's a load of shite.
    Bri-namite wrote: »

lol...

"Oh god I hate this music, I have a headache, but my parents hate it too, so let's turn it up a bit more."
    To write off a whole genre of music that has been prevalent for 35 years and sold countless records based on one crappy band playing in a pub is pretty stupid.

In every genre of music throughout existence there has been crap. I wouldn't shut off to any type of music based on one experience.

Metal can be beautiful, passionate, melodic and has a wide scope for allowing all kinds of talent and especially virtuosity to be shown.
    Most metal is shit. But then most of any genre of music is shit, especially if you don't particularly like the genre in the first place. I think that most bands that scream every line of every song are shit, because it either means they can't sing and are trying to cover it up, or they have no variety to their music. That doesn't mean it doesn't have a place in some songs though. Even Thom Yorke screams in a Radiohead track. And I have no problem with bands like The Deftones, Yeah Yeah Yeahs or RATM because they only scream when it suits the song. Actually, the artist that screams most in my CD collection is Bright Eyes - that famous mild mannered folk outfit.
    As for the screaming, some bands can pull it off and some can't.
    Makoto wrote: »
    how do people enjoy this row?

ive always wondered that :confused:
    But you'll find that most heavy metal bands don't scream. It's only these crappy nu-metal bands who can't actually sing that do it. As far as old metal / speed metal goes, the vocalists are generally exceptionally talented. The possible exception is thrash where there generally aren't a great abundance of good vocalists (aside from Anthrax's Joey Belladonna). Bruce Dickinson, Robert Plant, Joey Belladonna, Ronny Dio, Ozzy, David Lee Roth, Mike Patton, Axl Rose (and loads that I've probably forgotten) - all these vocalists have incredible ranges, projection, intonation and deserve to be regarded as some of the best singers in the world, of any genre.

Sadly, given the general apathy of most of the population, metal has been, since its very inception, consistently stereotyped, pigeonholed and simplified so that most people consider metal 'just sreaming' which couldn't be further from the truth.

I suggest everyone watches Sam Dunn's excellent documentary on the history of heavy metal entitled 'Headbanger's Journey'. It's not 'just screaming'.

Honestly people, let's try and be a little bit more open minded here.

Oh and incidentally, the best scream in music is on Slayer's masterpiece, Angel of Death.
    I think that most bands that scream every line of every song are shit, because it either means they can't sing and are trying to cover it up, or they have no variety to their music
    But you'll find that most heavy metal bands don't scream. It's only these crappy nu-metal bands who can't actually sing that do it.

lol and lol.

Screaming doesn't mean they can't sing... it's a different way of outletting lyrics and it fits a lot of bands perfectly, if you can't adjust to the melody when its backed by screaming/roaring then its your problem not theirs :p

try opeth or the haunted...the vocalists from those2 scream shitloads but they can still sing better than most of the shit you hear these days in both pop and dance/d&b, there are fuckloads more bands that scream lots and still sing really well im not gonna list them, point already made :P

comments like that are ignorant too :/

the best melodies i have heard by a MASSIVE gap are from metal bands... you see they sit down and write their own music, they actually know what the fuck is going on in their songs, where as in most of the cheesy pop shite when someone is said to "write their own music" it just means they wrote a few of the lyrics and the session ppl wrote the actual tune.

so yeah give it a chance!

ps: you have to venture further than watching kerrang playing trivium for 5 minutes... most of the metal that gets on tv is pretty dodgy
    muse- wrote: »

comments like that are ignorant too :/

the best melodies i have heard by a MASSIVE gap are from metal bands... you see they sit down and write their own music, they actually know what the fuck is going on in their songs, where as in most of the cheesy pop shite when someone is said to "write their own music" it just means they wrote a few of the lyrics and the session ppl wrote the actual tune.

The only people who give a shit about whether an artist writes their own stuff or not are people with musical superiority complexes.

I'm only interested in what it sounds like at the end, to be honest.

Metal to me is angst music and a load of shit, end of.
    you missed the point i was making... you said it was just noise, i said they actually know exactly whats put in their own music, the rhythms the melody the time changes, everything... its a lot less likely to be "noise" than libertyx or whoever.

and on a side note, it has nothing to do with a superiority complex even if you look at it the way you did... I think artists who dont write the music they get their shitloads of money off dont deserve 1 tenth of it.
    you missed the point i was making... you said it was just noise, i said they actually know exactly whats put in their own music, the rhythms the melody the time changes, everything... its a lot less likely to be "noise" than libertyx or whoever..

That doesn't mean a thing though, seeing as taste is subjective.

As far as "knowing what goes into their music" goes, that doesn't mean a thing either - the end result can be, and more often that not is, a heap of shite.

If I was cooking for my bird and I made my own recipe up, it doesn't mean that it's going to taste any better than it would if I copied it out of Jamie Oliver's book, would it?
    and on a side note, it has nothing to do with a superiority complex even if you look at it the way you did... I think dont write the music they get their shitloads of money off dont deserve 1 tenth of it.

Boo hoo.

Too many people seem to think that if a band writes their own music and plays their own instruments that automatically means that they aren't shit. All it means is that they've got some sort of "credibility", but who the fucks like listening to "credibility"?

People should learn to think for themselves instead of letting NME do it for them.
    My massive problem with pop music is how corporate and souless it's become, and the rise of people like Simon Cowell. He's done very well for himself by packaging up music so that it'll sell but it strips away the concept of music being art.

It used to be four or five people getting together and pouring their hearts out into the music. Now albums are a collection of singles, designed to sell as many copies as possible. Even bands that claim to play their own instruments are marketing props rather than living, breathing musicians.

The soul has gone out of music I guess.

p.s I've never read a copy of the NME in my life :o
    p.s I've never read a copy of the NME in my life

same here!

you seem to have a thing against those indie posers brinamite! if you were subjective then maybe you'd give decent music a chance. I didn't, anywhere in my post, say that everyone who plays their own instrument will write good music... I said the ppl that get their arses licked by millions of fans who haven't contributed a thing except for their computer-edited voice don't deserve a bit of it, where as people who actually write what they sell with a creative input from everyone, and actually make something good deserve it far more.
    If I was cooking for my bird and I made my own recipe up, it doesn't mean that it's going to taste any better than it would if I copied it out of Jamie Oliver's book, would it?

If you were a trained chef like jamie oliver then it might taste better (we're comparing musicians to musicians, not musicians to normal people). Thats besides the point anyway, even if jamie olivers tasted better you wouldn't be selling it on as your own and getting fame and money from it (because that would be ripping him off and make you a cunt :p).

I'm not saying everyone who plays their own instruments is good.. there are plenty of shit bands that play instruments (like the fratellis :D), but at least they deserve what they get. I listen to a lot of genre's but there is far more depth to decent metal IMO (bands like opeth anyway) because they pour so much more into it.
    To be honest, I think a lot of that is exagerrated and clever marketing is by no means restricted to pop.

There's not THAT much pop about justnow, not as much as there used to be anyway. You've got Girls Aloud, Sugababes, the odd X-Factor act... not much else. And these people are by no means talentless, you can look back decades and there's always always been a market for good vocalists who can deliver a song. I'll maintain to my dying day that that can often take more talent than strumming a guitar, writing a song or shouting down a microphone.

Look at the indie scene justnow, people who listened to the Black Eyed Peas and Beyonce when that was in a couple of years back are now immersing themselves into the indie scene because it's the in thing to be into. That's why crap indie bands always try and do kooky covers of pop songs at their gigs, because a lot of their fans know the words cause that's what they were into a couple of years back.

Virgin Radio did a poll a couple of months back to find out the top 500 songs of all time and what came out at number 1?

Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol.

The whole indie scene is every bit as image driven and has enough crap around it as pop does. Seriously, if NME told people that jumping off tall buildings was going to be the next big thing, then the suicide rate would go through the roof.
    lol, that top 500 thing is pretty funny.

I appreciate that some are talented and can sing really well, but that kind of comes naturally to them where as theres quite a bit of learning involved with instruments.(I spose theres a lot to learn with singing too though).

While it's true that there are trends and a lot of sheep it's pretty worthless to dismiss music just because its 'in'. That said, some of the stuff thats popular now has no depth to it... its all catchy on the surface but won't last more than a couple months for the most part, which is another reason I like a lot of metal bands... you can listen to a song for ages and still not have it totally figured out because of the intricasy (sp?) of it, so you don't get bored of it after 10mins like the arctic monkeys.

I'm arguiing for metal not indie :P
    The whole "shouting = can't sing" theory is a bit crap, really.

Slipknot, for example, shout/scream through most of their stuff, but the guy can sing. Just look at their other band, Stone Sour, or songs like Vermillion Pt 2. You'd never realise it was the same guy.
    To be honest, I think a lot of that is exagerrated and clever marketing is by no means restricted to pop.

Oh, of course, I should have just said 'music' rather than pop music.

But I stand behind my point about music being a corporate endeavour and less of an art form. To get into the charts now, regardless of genre, you have to suck a lot of corporate cocks.

The thing is, no matter how talented people are, they are still forced to tow the company line. Record companies have all the power. And so you move away from music being a way to express yourself and you have artists having songs chosen for them, rather than having any input on their career. It just seems that the number of CDs sold is infinitely more important than the music on them.

I dunno. I don't really want to get drawn into a big music industry debate but it all just saddens me a bit. But every entertainment industry is the same.

The thing with all these polls is that the general public have a very short memory. That's why more modern films will always place higher in polls than the classics, more recent books will always get more votes etc.
    you seem to have a thing against those indie posers brinamite! if you were subjective then maybe you'd give decent music a chance.

I dislike a lot of indie kids because there's a falseness about the whole culture, which they're oblivious to.

Who says I haven't listened to a wide range of genres and decided that I prefer to listen to Girls Aloud than Radiohead, or Busted to The Frattelis? Who're you to say what decent music is?

For the record, if I like a tune I'll download it. I've downloaded tunes from The Jam, Muse and some electro tunes as well in the last couple of days so I don't just listen to one genre because it fits some sort of mould.

I couldn't give a shit whether somebody writes their own tunes or not. When I'm dancing at a club I'm enjoying the beats, not thinking OMG THIS BAND KNOW THEIR WAY AROUND THE SONG I LOVE THE CREDIBILITY!!!!!!
    I didn't, anywhere in my post, say that everyone who plays their own instrument will write good music... I said the ppl that get their arses licked by millions of fans who haven't contributed a thing except for their computer-edited voice don't deserve a bit of it, where as people who actually write what they sell with a creative input from everyone, and actually make something good deserve it far more.

I'd rather give my money to go and see a good all round show like Girls Aloud which I liked than some drugged up losers tryin sosososo hard to be rock and roll.

Anyway, if a pop band didn't write their own songs (some do, irrespective of what you say) then they wouldn't get half as much money as they would have done because they didn't hold the writing credits etc so if crap indie band can't sell enough albums then that's their problem :D
    lol, that top 500 thing is pretty funny.

I appreciate that some are talented and can sing really well, but that kind of comes naturally to them where as theres quite a bit of learning involved with instruments.(I spose theres a lot to learn with singing too though).

While it's true that there are trends and a lot of sheep it's pretty worthless to dismiss music just because its 'in'. That said, some of the stuff thats popular now has no depth to it... its all catchy on the surface but won't last more than a couple months for the most part, which is another reason I like a lot of metal bands... you can listen to a song for ages and still not have it totally figured out because of the intricasy (sp?) of it, so you don't get bored of it after 10mins like the arctic monkeys.

I'm arguiing for metal not indie :P

I do see where you're coming from.

But there's waaaay too many luvvies who're into indie cause it's the in thing, y'know?
    yup ;)
    I do see where you're coming from.

But there's waaaay too many luvvies who're into indie cause it's the in thing, y'know?

I fucking hate Indie.... except Oasis, if you class them as Indie.
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    I fucking hate Indie.... except Oasis, if you class them as Indie.

Oasis come from a different era of Indie music. The one people labelled Brit Pop in the 90's.
    Indie back then was much better because you weren't trying to be cool. You were being yourself and if that meant you were cool then so be it.

Indie nowadays is just a way of saying I'm cool. I guarantee you that when indie falls out of Favour about 60-70% of these new Indie tossers will go on to liking the next version of Trendy Music.
    I remember when Rap was in, a lot of people flocked to it. When it fell out of favour they all went on to the next trend in music.

I just like music, whatever style, for what it is. One minute you'll find me listening to RATM, the next you'll find me listening to Silverchair or Machine Head.

I like a lot of metal music but I don't subscribe to that 'full album of shouting = music' shite. If they can sing as well then it makes the situation different.
    Stonesour are a good example of this. The song Get Inside is an example of Corey Taylor shouting and speaking fast. Whereas songs like Through Glass and Bother show his singing talent.
    I'd rather give my money to go and see a good all round show like Girls Aloud which I liked than some drugged up losers tryin sosososo hard to be rock and roll.

How very stereotypical of you. Not all bands do drugs, or try to be Rock and Roll. Statements such as this create ignorance.

I'd much rather know that people are making their money through music with Blood, Sweat and Tears rather than them getting paid by singing other peoples songs. And that doesn't include doing covers, unless you crucify the song you're covering. Then you deserve to be shot.
    British indie is pretty shit on the whole.

the kooks, razorlight, keane et, snow patrol etc. boring as fuck

the american alt/indie scene is miles better.
    Ghost18 wrote: »
    I just like music, whatever style, for what it is. One minute you'll find me listening to RATM, the next you'll find me listening to Silverchair or Machine Head.

that's not really that big a jump to be honest.
    I listen to pretty much every genre going.

I used to be one of those "they don't play their own instruments and therefor are crap" people. Tbh I couldn't give a fuck, I'll respect them more as musicians but as long as the end product sounds good to me then I'm not going to look how talented the act is.
    The whole "shouting = can't sing" theory is a bit crap, really.

Slipknot, for example, shout/scream through most of their stuff, but the guy can sing. Just look at their other band, Stone Sour, or songs like Vermillion Pt 2. You'd never realise it was the same guy.

Listen to Bother by Stone Sour, Corey Taylor can really sing. Nowt wrong with metal/nu-metal on the whole, a good singer/screamer can add to a song, but a bad one can ruin it.
    Listen to Bother by Stone Sour, Corey Taylor can really sing.

Erm, I have, that's why I said it :p
    Screaming doesn't mean they can't sing... it's a different way of outletting lyrics and it fits a lot of bands perfectly, if you can't adjust to the melody when its backed by screaming/roaring then its your problem not theirs :p
    I said that a band that screams every line either can't sing or lacks variety in their music. When Thom Yorke or Connor Oberst or Chino Moreno or even Eminem screams, I find it much more powerful, because they don't do it in every song or in every line. I think screaming only really lends itself to conveying one or two emotions in music, and so I find that bands who almost exclusively scream throughout their music end up a bit samey, and thier music tends to be less powerful as a result. Not to mention that I find screaming is often (not always, but often) a bit of an obvious way of conveying that sort of emotion in a song, so more often than not, I don't find it to be particularly creative.