Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Serious armpit problem

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
No matter how much spray I put on or how often I shower, my armpits totally pour with sweat like a tap that's not been closed properly, satuarting whatever shirt I'm wearing. It can't be to do with heat or exercise, since I'm in a fairly cool room. What is causing it and how can it be stopped?

Comments

• Options
    some people just sweat a lot, get some heavy-duty anti-perspirant from the pharmacy or your GP.
  • Options
    Assuming that you've tried different brands of anti-perspirant, and that you wear cotton shirts not polyester, the GP would be the best port of call for you.
  • Options
    Definately visit your doctor, I have read about Botox injections helping to reduce severe sweating. I guess it depends what is causing the problem though!
  • Options
    Is it just your pitts that are skank or do your hands, face or feet sweat as well? Oversweating could be hyperhydrosis, there is surgery for that. They use Botox. Or, as others have said, you can get prescription strength anti persperants. I'd check to see if you can get them OTC as I know I can get some here. Look for ones with aluminum chloride with ethyl alcohol. Some brands around here are certian dri, maxim (which can be used in more than just the underamrs) and drysol so you could look for those? They do not need a prescription or a doctors visit.
  • Options
    Are you a guy or a girl?

Shave your pits, see if that helps (if not already doing so)
  • Options
    go see a doctor about it ...there is some anti persprint that you can get on perscription i cant quite remeber what it was called (not much help i knw) but it did sting a bit at first
  • Options
    Diet! If you eat fatty sweet and junk food that has a big impact :yes:
  • Options
    my_name wrote: »
    Look for ones with aluminum chloride with ethyl alcohol. Some brands around here are certian dri, maxim (which can be used in more than just the underamrs) and drysol so you could look for those? They do not need a prescription or a doctors visit.

Echoing this statement, aside from trying a few different brands and providing your fit and healthy otherwise i would say this has to be your first action.

I've never had this problem till the past 6 months or so, now whenever im at work i just pour sweat, often the office is a little warmer than everywhere else but nothing unbareable, anyway even when it's chilly in the office i still pour sweat!

Changed to Sure anti persp and it worked well for a week then the problem seemed to come back. So next time i'm in the chemist i'm gonna try one of the above Alum/Chlr ones and see how they get on.

For some reason i find it less of a problem if im wearing a jumper over a t-shirt opposed to just a t-shirt or jumper, perhaps because the t-shirt "soaks it up" before i notice.

But if you have other problems like feeling tired all the while, or putting on weight or losing weight for no reason etc... then pop to the doctors could be a number of things, many of which aren't too serious

I meantioned it to my doctor when i last went about another problem and he said it's probably due to a tyroid problem, but suggested nothing! :confused:
  • Options
    try driclor.....stings like a bitch, but did the trick for me

i`m lucky in that i sweat but i dont smell

sweating's a pain though if i wanna wear a bright coloured top on a night out :(
  • Options
    one tip if you're sweating when you really don't want to be is to lie down. The sweat glands under your armpits shut off when you are horizontal, I think.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    one tip if you're sweating when you really don't want to be is to lie down. The sweat glands under your armpits shut off when you are horizontal, I think.

that works extraordinarily well when in a business dinner with very important custumers. "Mr. Hornet, why are you lying on the floor?"
    "Oh... I think I dropped a meatball... let me just find it... don't mind me."

;)
  • Options
    Littleali wrote: »
    try driclor.....stings like a bitch, but did the trick for me

i`m lucky in that i sweat but i dont smell

sweating's a pain though if i wanna wear a bright coloured top on a night out :(
    Yes that was exactly what i was going to suggest, but your supposed to put it on a totally dry armpit to eliminate stinging and itching
  • Options
    Amira wrote: »
    Yes that was exactly what i was going to suggest, but your supposed to put it on a totally dry armpit to eliminate stinging and itching

i do, i read the instructions :blush: ....it says that some irritation is normal for the 1st few applications ;)
  • Options
    Littleali wrote: »
    i do, i read the instructions :blush: ....it says that some irritation is normal for the 1st few applications ;)

Does this driclor smell at all? Being a lad i don't really want to smell all flowery!
  • Options
    I take it You've tried roll-on.
  • Options
    nah it doesnt smell flowery or girly
  • Options
    I'll look for something even more heavy duty than what I'm currently using. I been using an Adidas spray and it's worked a million times and it actually works too. But it does have it's limits. And my diet too in fact leaves a lot to be desired. Pot Noodles and pizzas nearly every day...how could it have come to this?
    that works extraordinarily well when in a business dinner with very important custumers. "Mr. Hornet, why are you lying on the floor?"
    "Oh... I think I dropped a meatball... let me just find it... don't mind me."
    Heh.
    Interesting advice, but I think part of this problem is related to stress and what sort of pressure I'm under at the time. That coupled with being in a really hot room full of PC's probably is making it worse too. It only seems to happen when I'm doing something that needs me to be sat up or stood up.
  • Options
    sure, but it might be useful advice if you want to let your armpits dry out before putting on something like dricolor. You put that stuff on at bedtime and wash it off in the morning. After a few apps you should be sweat free and use it less often- like once a week I think. It smells kinda, I dunno weird, eye stingy but you wash it off so that doesn't matter. You can buy a similar stuff called Triple dry from Boots in an aresol.
  • Options
    If it's that bad you could always try Botox
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote: »
    If it's that bad you could always try Botox

Got some driclor this weekend, put some on for the first time last night, and how much did it itch!

I followed the steps, washed my armpits and dried well, but i think i may have put too much on, i did give it a very good coverage!

for the next 2 hours i was trying to ignore the crazy amount of itching going on!

This morning i woke up feeling as if somebody had been smearing them in petrol and igniting them every 15 minutes all night, sooo sore!

It stung like hell putting deodrant on this morning, so only managed a small amount, but so far i appears to have done the trick perfectly.

It says it takes around a week to start making a difference so i think me being so dry this morning is more to do with the fact that i've destroyed my sweat pores by putting too much on!

Think i'll leave it tonight, then from the next day use a minimal amount!

Thanks for the tip though!