Home Travel & Free Time
Come and join our Support Circle, every Tuesday, 8 - 9:30pm! Limited spaces available! Sign up here
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Sky vs. Virgin Media: it's getting dirty

2

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    minimi38 wrote: »
    WHAT THE FUCK NO STAR TREK :eek:

    down with murdock

    Im sure it will be on Sky Two or one of the other channels Sky fills with utter shit :D
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It doesn't really bother me. I download Lost and 24 anyway, I have all The Simpsons DVD boxsets and I get to keep my 10 meg broadband and I'm getting a nice new shiny V+ box with HD :D
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Woke up this morning and Virgin Media are no longer showing Sky channels. It had some scrolling text at the bottom saying something like sky have picked up their ball and gone home or something:confused:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The BBC is way past its sell-by date, and the few excellent programmes it still produces (Dr Who, Life on Mars) does not compensate for the fact that if you watch TV without paying the BBC their pound of flesh you will go to prison. Forcing the BBC to become a commercial organisation (call it "destruction" if you will) really wouldn't be a bad thing- there is no reason why in 2007 it is justifiable to put people in prison for watching television.

    As for Sky One, it is utter shite, and I don't know how anyone can think it a sorry loss. The only thing that Sky One have these days is Lost, and that completely lost the plot ages ago.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Those cunts! How will i play Jeff Stellings Super Special Soccer Saturday drinking game now! Also no sky one to watch futurama. Or sky sports news. Fuckers.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Fuck sake!

    I woke up today and stuck on Sky Sports News to watch with my breakfast.

    Sky Sports Snooze appeared in the little box, and on the screen some Virgin rant about Sky decreaing our choice, and them increasing our choice. Well sorry, but Sky Sports News is one of the only decent channels on TV, especially for Soccer Saturday, and no amount of Virgin demand TV or whatever bollocks they're offering me is going to change that.

    N.B. Sky News has been replaced with Sky Snooze and Sky One appears to have been replaced by some Virgin channel, which was showing Little Britain previews. :mad:

    Load of shite.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    WHAT THE FUCK???????????????????????????????????

    NO SKY ONE?????????????????????????????????????????????

    BONES IS ON TONIGHT!!!!!!!!

    24 REPEAT ON SATURDAY WHICH I HAVE TO WATCH AS IT KEPT CUTTING OUT ON SUNDAY!!!!!!

    ok no more caps.

    but what??? what the fuck????

    bastards!!!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Firefly-86 wrote: »
    Woke up this morning and Virgin Media are no longer showing Sky channels. It had some scrolling text at the bottom saying something like sky have picked up their ball and gone home or something:confused:

    I checked out he VirginMedia website and Sky Channels have been removed from their list of what channels you get - but apart from that there's no new offers. To be honest they seem a bit slow off the mark, sky however is already offering people people a switching service

    http://www1.sky.com/switch/

    Whatever people say about Sky they at least don't sit on the fence and let time roll by.

    Tiscali was supposed to be launching their TV service today and there's no mention of it at all on their website, infact their site still has offers saying runs out 28th Feb.

    Sky also pushes new technology far more then most providers - they plan to remove 3 channels from Freeview but replace them with 4 channels by moving from MPEG 2 to the better MPEG 4 standard - if all the existing Freeview channels were switched to MPEG 4 we'd get space for an extra 25% more channels, of course that would mean current freeview boxes wouldn't work.

    Sky succeeds because it makes technology fairly easy for most people to use and innovates and if you take up their internet and telephone offers people could make huge savings, virgin want 3p per minute for an evening telephone call which is a joke considering even BT is more like 5p for an entire hour. And Sky is free in the evenings.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Sky is undoubtedly better.

    I love going home to Ireland to use Sky TV at home instead of the godawful Telewest/Virgin shite and its crap interface.

    The only reason I'm with them is because they had a good 3-in-1 package. Sky had deals for net and TV as well but their high-speed doesn't serve my area yet, whereas Telewest (now Virgin) did.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The problem lies entirely with Sky charging too much for what is a pretty poor choice of channels. I have Freeview and the fact they're removing everything from the service pisses me off immensely, and I have no intention of ever buying a rip-off Sky dish. £50 a month? No ta/
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yeh it sucks getting those channels removed but I'm getting the virgin Media VIP Package installed next month.

    10 Meg Broadband
    V+ High Definition Set Top Box with 80GB Hard Drive
    Additional normal Set Top Box
    Full TV package fot both boxes including all Sky Sports and Sky Movies channels and all HD Channels
    Cheap landline and a cheap mobile package

    All for a sweet £85 notes a month. You can't get better value than that. I'll do without Sky One/Sky News for all that shit!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit wrote: »
    The problem lies entirely with Sky charging too much for what is a pretty poor choice of channels. I have Freeview and the fact they're removing everything from the service pisses me off immensely, and I have no intention of ever buying a rip-off Sky dish. £50 a month? No ta/

    I'd say their basic £15 per month package - although not that exciting is far better value for money then the BBC's TV Licence fee of £10.96 per month. Especially when you factor in that entitles people to a basic broadband service which would probably be perfect for my parent's needs and those that only need email and do a little surfing and also entitles them to a telephone service which is cheaper then BT.

    I don't however like paying £10 extra per month to be able to record programmes with Sky+ (or in my case £15 per month to get it free with the movie channels which are 90% rubbish). Right now I'm paying £37 a month and I think that's about £15 per month too much - I don't really want the movie channels as most of the movies on there are rubbish but I do like the fact it records programmes on Sky Plus to watch whenever suits me and I save a lot of time fastforwarding through commericals.

    Although switching to their £5 per month or even £10 per month ADSL service would allow me to make savings elsewhere, but I don't like the fact that if it all goes wrong I have to go speak to someone in a call centre when my current ISP - Plusnet lets me control everything online very easily.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It only now that Sky have finally got some serious competition, from Virgin Media you will see Sky start caring about their customers :chin:

    It is in nobodys interest that Sky are the dominant player in the pay tv industry. There should be competition for the benifit of the consumer.

    Hopefully the new competiton from Virgin Media, will keep Sky on their toes and Sky will have to start giving their customers real value for money.

    Come on Virgin Media, kick Sky's arse :thumb:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yeh it sucks getting those channels removed but I'm getting the virgin Media VIP Package installed next month.

    10 Meg Broadband
    V+ High Definition Set Top Box with 80GB Hard Drive
    Additional normal Set Top Box
    Full TV package fot both boxes including all Sky Sports and Sky Movies channels and all HD Channels
    Cheap landline and a cheap mobile package

    All for a sweet £85 notes a month. You can't get better value than that. I'll do without Sky One/Sky News for all that shit!

    Tiscali were supposed to be launching a 3 in 1 package of Unlimited Internet, Telephone Line Rental and Basic TV via ADSL for £19.99 today - but no signs of it.. the fact their line rental also includes caller display in the price was an added saving over BT.

    For another combination I was looking at Virgin would have been £30 per month but Sky only £20 per month for very similar products because there was one non English language channel I wanted which is included in Sky's most basic package but £10 per month extra on Virgin (for just 1 channel)

    As for mobile phone deals I have a virgin phone from a non virgin website for £20 a month but get back £240 a year cashback - so that's free - so far I'm not really seeing that much of value in Virgin Media's offering and the fact there's no single photo I can see of what their box looks like is a bit worrying. For the combination of things I want whenever I do the maths Sky comes out cheaper, faster and offering more variety.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'd say their basic £15 per month package - although not that exciting is far better value for money then the BBC's TV Licence fee of £10.96 per month.

    Much as I'm glad to slag off the BBC, I disagree with that. The BBC provides a lot for that money, especially the website and the radio network.

    I don't like how the BBC is funded (pay us or go to jail) but the BBC isn't bad at what it spends its money on. It could with whazzing less away on big name numpties like Norton and Moyles, but so could Sky.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'd say their basic £15 per month package - although not that exciting is far better value for money then the BBC's TV Licence fee of £10.96 per month.

    I would rather pay the BBC £10.96 a month than take Sky for £15. Sky is full of crap and repeats of crap. Yes i know the beeb have repeats too, but the BBC has a excellent website and good radio stations.

    Also the quality of BBC programmes are just better than Sky. The BBC would never get away with running the drivel Sky One shows day in day out.

    :thumb:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Calvin wrote: »
    It only now that Sky have finally got some serious competition, from Virgin Media you will see Sky start caring about their customers :chin:

    It is in nobodys interest that Sky are the dominant player in the pay tv industry. There should be competition for the benifit of the consumer.

    Hopefully the new competiton from Virgin Media, will keep Sky on their toes and Sky will have to start giving their customers real value for money.

    Come on Virgin Media, kick Sky's arse :thumb:


    I doubt Virgin with kick Sky ... the Virgin Brand is so strong and Branson is so well respected that that alone adds a lot of value. Sky is a mishmash of technologies - cable TV should be offering far more then satellites could since it's a two-way system and satellite is only a one way system (with a bit of two-way via your telephone line) - Sky from a technical point of view are kinda doing a pretty decent job of pulling various technology together - like from today you can log on to their website from anywhere in the world and get their system to send a message to your Sky Plus box to tell it what to record for you or even do that from your mobile phone or PDA.

    Freeview is a bit of a mess - looks like the system was designed by politicians, rather then people that understand TV - they claim to have so many channel but a lot of them only broadcast 12 hours a day and then they decided to introduce top-up TV afterwards - it should have been foreseen from the very beginning that at some point paid for channels would have to be introduced, especially after the big switch off of the analogue signal when so much extra bandwidth will become available - specialist channels (such as foreign language channels) do not make enough money from advertising alone to support themselves so they need to charge people.

    I don't like the idea of Sky TV being so dominate, but at least they know what they're doing and always innovating and trying to offer as many services as possible with what they have. Still 90% of what's on it is rubbish .. :wave:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Calvin wrote: »
    I would rather pay the BBC £10.96 a month than take Sky for £15. Sky is full of crap and repeats of crap. Yes i know the beeb have repeats too, but the BBC has a excellent website and good radio stations.

    Also the quality of BBC programmes are just better than Sky. The BBC would never get away with running the drivel Sky One shows day in day out.

    :thumb:


    I love the BBC News Website - it's so much better then just about any news website out there - but I think their TV has gone downhill over the years - I'd have paid the licence fee just to watch original episodes of Only Fools & Horses and home grown stuff like that - I think TV generally has gone down hill loads over the last 20 years.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Calvin wrote: »
    Also the quality of BBC programmes are just better than Sky. The BBC would never get away with running the drivel Sky One shows day in day out.

    Oh, I don't know so much, the BBC is more than happy to churn out garbage like that Sound of Music shite with Graham "Irish Sponger" Norton and the irredeemably bad Britain's Worst Toilet....
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I would smile if someone did a big poo on rupert murdochs head.
    Rupert Murdoch
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to: navigation, search

    Rupert Murdoch is a fucking tosser, cunt and a twat. He deserves a horrible painful and slow death. FUCKING WANKER.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Goodness, that's mature. It's pretty accurate though :lol:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Tiscali were supposed to be launching a 3 in 1 package of Unlimited Internet, Telephone Line Rental and Basic TV via ADSL for £19.99 today - but no signs of it.. the fact their line rental also includes caller display in the price was an added saving over BT.

    For another combination I was looking at Virgin would have been £30 per month but Sky only £20 per month for very similar products because there was one non English language channel I wanted which is included in Sky's most basic package but £10 per month extra on Virgin (for just 1 channel)

    As for mobile phone deals I have a virgin phone from a non virgin website for £20 a month but get back £240 a year cashback - so that's free - so far I'm not really seeing that much of value in Virgin Media's offering and the fact there's no single photo I can see of what their box looks like is a bit worrying. For the combination of things I want whenever I do the maths Sky comes out cheaper, faster and offering more variety.


    Considering I'd have to fork out £300 on the Sky+ HD Box alone, it doesn't work out cheaper at all. Plus, I've been with Telewest for years, their broadband is near flawless and I don't want me TV to go fucking weird every time a gust of wind blows past.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit wrote: »
    Oh, I don't know so much, the BBC is more than happy to churn out garbage like that Sound of Music shite with Graham "Irish Sponger" Norton and the irredeemably bad Britain's Worst Toilet....

    Cant argue with that one :no:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Considering I'd have to fork out £300 on the Sky+ HD Box alone, it doesn't work out cheaper at all. Plus, I've been with Telewest for years, their broadband is near flawless and I don't want me TV to go fucking weird every time a gust of wind blows past.


    Yeah for HD there is a big upfront cost, I've only got a 14 inch TV in my Bedroom which is where I watch most TV and none of the other TV's are HD.

    Plus we only got the proper digital cable service a few months ago, before that the original installers were videotron, then bought out by NTL but the Videotron system wasn't digital, so they couldn't even offer broadband.

    We've had Sky TV for about 6 years, in all that time we've only lost the signal about 2 or 3 times when there's been a very very heavy down pour of rain, the only time I've been out in that kinda rain was on the M1 motorway and it was so bad everyone pulled over on to the hard shoulder to wait it out because you couldn't see nothing, so it takes a lot to stop a well aligned dish.


    Where can you find out technical information about the Virgin Box - cos I haven't even seen a photo of what it looks like or screenshots of the menu system?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    so it takes a lot to stop a well aligned dish.






    has happened up here a few times when the winds been bad even happened to me when i was living in edinburgh, 40 bucks to come out and realign it,

    mind you i only paid that the first time i just did it myself after that
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    has happened up here a few times when the winds been bad even happened to me when i was living in edinburgh, 40 bucks to come out and realign it,

    mind you i only paid that the first time i just did it myself after that

    Probably just loose bolts or something

    If you can see the TV screen which adjusting it's easy to align a Sky Dish cos you go by the signal strength meters
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Probably just loose bolts or something

    If you can see the TV screen which adjusting it's easy to align a Sky Dish cos you go by the signal strength meters

    quite hard doing that from two stories up, and na just 100mph winds up here
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Don't Let Sky Win!

    We know that there can only be losers in this game but please check out our campaign at Don't Let SKY Win and sign-up to support our efforts to get fair choice for customers.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    We know that there can only be losers in this game but please check out our campaign at Don't Let SKY Win and sign-up to support our efforts to get fair choice for customers.

    Now that is annoying!

    LET SKY WIN! LET THEM! GO ON!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Sky are crap. We will see how good Sky are now they have some competition :thumb:

    Go Virgin Media:D
Sign In or Register to comment.