Home Drink & Drugs
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

preganancy and drugs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi just wanted to ask peoples opinions, my sister is 17 and she's 5 months pregnant, she's been smoking hash for about a year and i recently found out she hasnt giving it up even though she's pregnant.

I tried talking to her about it but she just says its too hard to give up, i really think she's been selfish and so does her b/f who's not talking to her at the moment because of it..

I do take pills and coke occasionally but have never really been into hash and although i take drugs there is no way i'd ever take anything if i was pregnant,
is she right saying its too hard to stop and should we just leave her alone to get on with it or have it out with her?
«1

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    well, the most important issue is her taking any drugs is very unlikely to be doing anything good for the baby. Although I must say I have no idea what risks are associated with smoking hash while pregnant.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think she needs to grow up and face up to her responsibilites.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Its not a good idea to smoke in pregnancy at all, as the risks are well documented.
    Im not sure if the risks of smoking cannabis are much higher for the baby than they would be for smoking tobacco on its own.
    Has she tried to at least cut down?

    http://www.alspac.bris.ac.uk/abstracts/p116.shtml
    http://www.biopsychiatry.com/canpreg.htm
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/1746958.stm
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't think there's a specific birth defect associated with cannabis like there is with other substances, but there is still the risk of low birth weight, and smoking generally is well known to be bad news in pregnancy.

    Is your sister being candid with her midwife and/or doctor about her habit? I think if they aren't aware of it then you should encourage her to discuss it with them, or just try and discuss it calmly and rationally with her yourself. It's not guaranteed to work, but if she was better informed about what she could be doing to this child then she might rethink her ways a little. It's not supposed to be a scare tactic, but basically for practical reasons so that she can better understand the potential risks she is subjecting the baby to.

    Is she happy about the pregnancy? I imagine that as she's so young that it may all be hitting her very hard, and if she maybe used smoking cannabis as an escape/relaxation method previously then she's still very dependent on it in that way. Maybe even more so. It's so easy to imagine that when a woman [and especially a young woman, who maybe isn't as grateful for her new situation as a more mature woman might be] gets pregnant she immediately feels naturally inclined to lead a healthy, virtuous life for her own sake and that of her child. That isn't always the cases, and addictions are hard to kick at the best of times - let alone when you may well be going through a time where you really feel you need that emotional crutch. Especially if she feels alienated by her boyfriend, which is going to drive her further into her shell. Being pregnant myself I can imagine if I hadn't been able to quit drinking, smoking and drugs then I would be feeling very upset about the fact and as if I was failing. But even those feelings aren't enough to stop people sometimes, and as I said they may even make her feel that escaping her problems through drugs are an even better idea than before.

    At the end of the day it is her body, and the danger is that we get into a situation where we start telling women what to do because the baby inside them becomes a more important issue. Of course everyone must be really concerned about the child, but I think it might be worthwhile sitting down with your sister and talking to her really openly and frankly about how she feels about the pregnancy. There aren't many people who love a smoke SO much that they'd risk their child's health to do it, so I think it's likely to be a symptom of unhappiness... or at least uncertainty. Or basic dependency on it. She's young and seemingly a bit immature, and more than likely feeling pretty scared by the entire situation.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    she seems really happy about the fact that she's pregnant and loves the attention she's been getting off everyone..

    She hasnt told her Doctors and when she went for her scan the other day she wouldnt bring her b/f cos he told her he was gona tell doctor what she's doing.
    straight after she had her scan she went to her friends house and got stoned, i understand that she's prob scared but she could be doing the baby real damage
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Tweety wrote: »
    I think she needs to grow up and face up to her responsibilites.

    i totally agree
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yeah i was just about to say she sounds really immature to be doing such a thing whilst pregnant. Everybody knows the risks of doing such things and her baby is going to suffer. It may be all fun and games now but if that baby is born with some disease or whatever it's going to be alot more hard work for her than it could have been if she had looked after herself and had a healthy baby.

    Does your mum know she is doing this? Having a good telling off by her could make her realise the risks. If not maybe try talking to her friends and encouraging them to tell her not to. Any decent friend would do that, if mine was being so stupid i know i'd have something to say about it.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    cari wrote: »
    I tried talking to her about it but she just says its too hard to give up QUOTE]

    To be honest, i think shes just being an awkward teenager - which is fair enuff becuase thats what 17year olds are entitled to do. however, if she's made the mistake of getting pregnant so young she needs to grow up very quickly.

    I think it's a load of bollocks that she says its too hard too quit. She's only 17 so she could only have been smoking for a few years, so i doubt she could be massively dependant. I think its more of a rebellion issue - more than likely becuase she's scared of what's round the corner.

    Probably just a good job for the baby's sake that she using weed for the attention and nothing harder.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I guess it's easier to ignore the consequences when she can't see what's growing inside her, but in a few months that bump will be a child and she has a responsibility for its health right now, not just when it's born.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I cant really add more than Briggi, just try and stress to her that it is risky, and if soemthing does affect the baby then she will be liable, perhaps for the rest of the kids life.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    weed doesn't have as many adverse effects as tobacco tho'.
    there are so many mothers to be who cont. to smoke tobacco during a pregnancy (or weed and tobacco) which can adversely affect the development of an unborn baby. it is stupid but end of the day its her choice. there are worst things she could be doing tbh. and if she is 5 months now, if any damage has been done, its been done already. and weed isn't that hard to quit.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    otter wrote: »
    weed doesn't have as many adverse effects as tobacco tho'.

    Its really a mixed bag as to what is more harmful, cannabis has more tar for example, and is usually smoked without a proper filter. And of course its usually smoked with tobacco.
  • JadedJaded back for more Posts: 2,682
    Briggi's suggested approach is one I wholeheartedly agree with, a non judgemental approach where you try to understand what might be motivating your sis to smoke will allow her to tell you what is really going on, and help her feel like she can trust you.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    LadyJade wrote: »
    Briggi's suggested approach is one I wholeheartedly agree with, a non judgemental approach where you try to understand what might be motivating your sis to smoke will allow her to tell you what is really going on, and help her feel like she can trust you.

    Tried this she just told me its her body and baby and to stay out of it:banghead:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    cari wrote: »
    Tried this she just told me its her body and baby and to stay out of it:banghead:

    Unfortunately in real terms it is, and there isnt a massive amount you can do. Just try to keep the pressure on without nagging.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    if u ask me ur sister should of had protected sex, 17 far too young man. it really pisses me of when young teenagers get pregnant. yes she is being selfish because her saying hash is too hard to get off, well she just doesent want to stop, i mean u dont get addicted to thc, if she wanted to then she could stop in a heart beat

    tell ur sister to get her act together man and take some responsibilities, sorry to sound so harsh but thats the facts unfortunatlly
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    3callum4 wrote: »
    if u ask me ur sister should of had protected sex, 17 far too young man. it really pisses me of when young teenagers get pregnant. yes she is being selfish because her saying hash is too hard to get off, well she just doesent want to stop, i mean u dont get addicted to thc, if she wanted to then she could stop in a heart beat

    tell ur sister to get her act together man and take some responsibilities, sorry to sound so harsh but thats the facts unfortunatlly

    That's quite a harsh post...
    First off, she never asked anyone's opinion on what they thought about her sister getting pregnant.
    Secondly (and I'm not defending her sister at all here) THC can become addictive, that's still no excuse to smoke it when pregnant, but get your facts right...
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    JamesZero wrote: »
    That's quite a harsh post...
    First off, she never asked anyone's opinion on what they thought about her sister getting pregnant.
    Secondly (and I'm not defending her sister at all here) THC can become addictive, that's still no excuse to smoke it when pregnant, but get your facts right...

    right firstly i was getting at all young teenagers who have sex unprotected, bot just her sister man
    secondly thc can become mentaly addictive, most would say more of a habbit and no way is it physically addictive, so i suggest u read up and get ur so called facts right mate
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    3callum4 wrote: »
    secondly thc can become mentaly addictive, most would say more of a habbit and no way is it physically addictive, so i suggest u read up and get ur so called facts right mate

    By that logic crack isnt addictive. Habitual use of any intoxicant can easily be addictive and that addiction can be hard to break, especially if the person is using it as an escape from emotional problems (which this girl may well be doing).
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    budda wrote: »
    By that logic crack isnt addictive. Habitual use of any intoxicant can easily be addictive and that addiction can be hard to break, especially if the person is using it as an escape from emotional problems (which this girl may well be doing).

    how the fuck is that like saying crack issint addictive? there completely different drugs, i know what ur saying and yes u can become addicted mentally to something, with it being drugs or say ur favourite band.

    now crack and opiates are completely different as they are both addictive in a mental and physical way, the physical addiction is by far the worst as u get Withdrawal symtons that cause nausea, tearing, yawning, chills, and sweating. u dont get whitdrwaal from weed cause its not truely addictve.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    So you admit THC can be mentally adictive... but you say its not adictive :eek2:

    There is more than one type of adiction mate!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Actually I think that psychological addiction is the hardest to get over.
    The physical addiction stops when the body gets it out of its system, but with a psychological addiction it can take years and years, or often you might never be properly over it.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Actually I think that psychological addiction is the hardest to get over.
    The physical addiction stops when the body gets it out of its system, but with a psychological addiction it can take years and years, or often you might never be properly over it.

    Totally...
    I can sort of relate that to when I have tried giving up smoking, it doesnt take that long to get the nicotine out your system, but its the habbitual use thats a killer!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    JamesZero wrote: »
    Totally...
    I can sort of relate that to when I have tried giving up smoking, it doesnt take that long to get the nicotine out your system, but its the habbitual use thats a killer!

    :yes:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    3callum4 wrote: »
    right firstly i was getting at all young teenagers who have sex unprotected, bot just her sister man
    secondly thc can become mentaly addictive, most would say more of a habbit and no way is it physically addictive, so i suggest u read up and get ur so called facts right mate

    Where were we told she had unprotected sex? Just so you know, one woman in a hundred using the pill exactly as prescribed will statistically fall pregnant over a year.
  • SkiveSkive No discipline. No morality. No respect. New ForestPosts: 15,269 Skive's The Limit
    3callum4 wrote: »
    now crack and opiates are completely different as they are both addictive in a mental and physical way, the physical addiction is by far the worst as u get Withdrawal symtons that cause nausea, tearing, yawning, chills, and sweating. u dont get whitdrwaal from weed cause its not truely addictve.


    Wrong.
    Crack and cocaine are not physically addictive, yet crack remains one of the most addictive substances there is.


    An addiction is an addiction, whatever way you look at it.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    3callum4 wrote: »
    how the fuck is that like saying crack issint addictive? there completely different drugs, i know what ur saying and yes u can become addicted mentally to something, with it being drugs or say ur favourite band.

    now crack and opiates are completely different as they are both addictive in a mental and physical way, the physical addiction is by far the worst as u get Withdrawal symtons that cause nausea, tearing, yawning, chills, and sweating. u dont get whitdrwaal from weed cause its not truely addictve.


    Mentally addictive / Physically addictive = Still addictive.

    With addictive being the key word here:banghead:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Skive wrote: »
    Wrong.
    Crack and cocaine are not physically addictive, yet crack remains one of the most addictive substances there is.


    An addiction is an addiction, whatever way you look at it.

    no mate ur wrong, i use to smoke crack and the withdrawal is a cunt with all the cold sweats, fevers, anxiety, if thats not physical then what is mate?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    katralla wrote: »
    Where were we told she had unprotected sex? Just so you know, one woman in a hundred using the pill exactly as prescribed will statistically fall pregnant over a year.

    well come on mate u telling me a 17 year old meant to fall pregnant? may of but i doubt that very much.
    the pill there for noy being 100% efective and i know the condom isint either but thats 1 in something like 100,000
Sign In or Register to comment.