Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The Prestige

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Has anyone seen it?

I watched it on Thursday night at the student cinema and it was very good, I was impressed. I'd not even heard of it being released in general cinemas, suprising since it has quite a few well known actors in it.

The ending was a bit implausible I thought, but I reckon I need to watch it again to pick up on all the clues you are given but don't notice first time around.

Scarlett Johannsen wore not many clothes throughout, but her English accent left a lot to be desired.

Hugh Jackman was very dashing - not a word I'd have used to describe him prior to seeing this film!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Without spoiling it I thought the ending was pretty much the best - just because it went so far into the bizarre rather than it just turning out to be some mundane magic trick that resolved everything. And casting Bowie as telsa was a great idea.

Much, much, much better than the dour and basically boring illusionist.
  • Options
    True. I was a bit confused by the ending but after discussing it with my friend (who helps run the student cinema incidentally) it's clearer now. I'm glad it wasn't just a trick that was revealed in the end, the film really did keep it's "prestige" part of the trick.

Bowie was a brilliant choice, so was Andy Serkis as his assistant.

What did you think of Michael Caine? I've not seen him in much before but he was almost grandfatherly in this, perhaps because of the opening scene with the little girl.

Oh and I was horrified when the way they did the bird trick was revealed :sour:
  • Options
    It was horrible, but there's no lack of real tricks, especially from that period and before, that killed animals (try not to think of bunnies)

Caine has taken an interesting step in his career - about 10 years ago he kept trying to be a young man (I think it was Blue Ice or something wheich had a really unpleasant shower sex scene with the young female lead and Caine) - so it's nice to see him playing his age. Clearly with this and Batman begins he's being selected for the grandfatherish roles.

And I doubt he objects (wasn't it Caine who when asked why he did Jaws 4 replied - 'I needed a new house') - its pretty lucrative and very easy work.

Check out the Ipcress File, Mona Lisa or Get Carter for a very different side to his acting.
  • Options
    One of the flatmates has Get Carter in the other room, I may pinch that to take back to York next week.

Didn't the director of The Prestige also direct Batman Begins? Christian Bale was in both as well. I'd forgotten that Michael Caine was in that too!

And I'm trying very hard not to think of bunnies! I was worried enough when they used Serkis' cat as a guinea pig for Angier's machine :blush:
  • Options
    Yep both were directed by Chris Nolan - watch his Memento if you haven't already - great film.

Does look like Nolan has a soft spot for Caine.
  • Options
    I thought it was a brilliant movie!! Not only is Hugh Jackman - yes "dashing" - it has a great storyline, and one hell of a twist!

Though I don't like who "won" as such in the end, it was definately a jaw-dropper. Amazing movie, brilliantly casted too.
  • Options
    Amazing film, it blew the illusionist right out and made the illusionist seem all the more crap! I loved the fact that it kept you guessing all the way through and the end was definitely something to make your jaw drop. I hope it gets a few awards!