Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The future of the m.o.t test..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Could this be the governments intention for car m.o.t tests? this link is a tad dramatic so try to ignore the bullshit projected fatalities.it does have a point though imo.

http://www.motester.co.uk/4-2-2.html

this idea has the motor trade in uproar and with good reason.there is a petition you can sign if you agree.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/keeptheroadsafe/

so what do you think? i think its the worst idea ever!! you could say the motor trade is looking after its own interests ofcorse,but surely the idea is dangerous??:chin:

Comments

• Options
    Mad Mac wrote: »
    this idea has the motor trade in uproar and with good reason.

What's that? They'll lose half of their income from MOT checks? I actually agree that it's a stupid idea. It's fine as it is imo, and you can apparently get your car checked out for free if you know where to go.
  • Options
    What's that? They'll lose half of their income from MOT checks? I actually agree that it's a stupid idea. It's fine as it is imo, and you can apparently get your car checked out for free if you know where to go.
    a free m.o.t test?
  • Options
    Surely the priority is to get rid of the cowboy MoT test "centres" who will not do it properly and give you the certificate even though your car is not legally safe. I've had experience with this and I've ended up having to pay more to fix the fault that's gotten much bigger than it was when the car had the MoT.

It's a dumb idea.
    I also think that a yearly service should be made mandatory and tied in with the MoT!
  • Options
    a free m.o.t test?

Actually, I don't think I read it right. But I know that local councils have test centres that are non-profit, so there's no incentive for them to tell you you need something doing when you don't.
  • Options
    straight away the word "cowboy" is used because the motor trade is mentioned.not all garages or m.o.t stations are cowboys! and there is no such thing as a non profit making m.o.t station.
    my post is about road safety in general and not about dodgy garages.the point is,would you feel safe running a car for 2 years without a mandatory inspection?
  • Options
    Even annual checks aren't enough on some cars. Car parts wear out with use. Some motorists drive very little - others do 30-40k miles per year. Surely it makes more sense to have an MOT test say every 10000 miles? The mileage is recorded on the MOT cert, so if a policeman stops you and your most recent MOT says 50000 miles on it, yet you have 75000 on the clock you're in bother!
  • Options
    straight away the word "cowboy" is used because the motor trade is mentioned.not all garages or m.o.t stations are cowboys! and there is no such thing as a non profit making m.o.t station.
    my post is about road safety in general and not about dodgy garages.the point is,would you feel safe running a car for 2 years without a mandatory inspection?
    No I wouldn't feel safe, more so as I know that things will wear out during that time!
    And I see your point, but I am allowed to construe it my way, surely.
    I think it's important to get rid of dodgy MoT testers first and then the rest.
    And I never said all MoT testers are cowboys.
    Jeesus!
  • Options
    To be honest, the MOT is not a certificate of road-worthiness. I've watched the test being done on my car, and to say that it is exhaustive would be a complete lie.

Only a few basic checks are done, and a whole lot more would be needed to ensure that a car is properly safe.

A full review of the MOT test would be better, IMO.
  • Options
    g_angel007 wrote: »
    To be honest, the MOT is not a certificate of road-worthiness. I've watched the test being done on my car, and to say that it is exhaustive would be a complete lie.

Only a few basic checks are done, and a whole lot more would be needed to ensure that a car is properly safe.

:yes: Definetley. As well as ensuring everywhere has the same standard.

I bought my car with 12 months MOT roughly a year ago now (give or take a week), and that car has done very little. We certainly haven't taken the wheels to bits...

... yet my car failed last week for a tyre being on incorrectly (or something similar).

How did it manage to pass last year in the exact same situation?
  • Options
    Maybe if it's every two years then in order to pass there could be stricter guidelines?
  • Options
    g_angel007 wrote: »

You are right in saying that an MOT certificate is not proof of road worthiness,but to say there are only a few basic checks done is wrong.
    on an MOT test all the the main components of a vehicle are tested using propper equipment to do so.how well each component is tested is up to the tester at the time.all MOT testers have to pass the same course and use the same testers manual adhering to a strict method.
    in theory,no car should leave an MOT station dangerous to drive on the road,and to be honest most DO NOT.
  • Options
    How on earth will car mechanics make thousands of pounds out of repairs that don't need doing if they only make cars have an MOT every two years?

It's a disgrace! Think of the poor car mechanics who will only be able to afford four foreign holidays a year instead of five!
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    How on earth will car mechanics make thousands of pounds out of repairs that don't need doing if they only make cars have an MOT every two years?

It's a disgrace! Think of the poor car mechanics who will only be able to afford four foreign holidays a year instead of five!

:yeees: Do you know any car mechanics? I think you'll find that while there are some sketchy ones out there, the majority are honest people, who aren't out to fleeceyou for your money.
  • Options
    I wasn't being entirely serious, but the campaign to keep the law as it is is obviously borne out of nothing but financial self-interest.
  • Options
    I wasn't being entirely serious, but the campaign to keep the law as it is is obviously borne out of nothing but financial self-interest.
    obviously:rolleyes: the world according to kermit :banghead:
  • Options
    You're right, I'm sure that its a complete coincidence that the only people who are against this proposed change are the owners of MOT testing stations. You even point out yourself that its only the motor trade that are complaining, and "you could say the motor trade is looking after its own interests ofcorse (sic)".

I think the EU standards are enough, cars are more modern than they ever used to be, and the campaign to keep the law as it is is nothing other than MOT testing station owners wanting to keep the cash cow flowing.

Now have you got anything intelligent to add further to the debate, or are you just going to waste good bandwidth with idiotic smilies?
  • Options
    Most MOT places in my experience are dodgy bastard.

Due to emissions problems on my car, I had to have about 5 consecutive MOT's. In total the car went to 3 different test centres.. and each one was passing some things and failing others!

Like 1 place failed two tyres, whilst another place failed me on none.. so its like WTF? There were loads of stupid little indiscrepancies like that..
  • Options
    You're right, I'm sure that its a complete coincidence that the only people who are against this proposed change are the owners of MOT testing stations. You even point out yourself that its only the motor trade that are complaining, and "you could say the motor trade is looking after its own interests ofcorse (sic)".

I think the EU standards are enough, cars are more modern than they ever used to be, and the campaign to keep the law as it is is nothing other than MOT testing station owners wanting to keep the cash cow flowing.

Now have you got anything intelligent to add further to the debate, or are you just going to waste good bandwidth with idiotic smilies?
    first mistake,
    I think the EU standards are enough, cars are more modern than they ever used to be, and the campaign to keep the law as it is is nothing other than MOT testing station owners wanting to keep the cash cow flowing

how the hell do you know that a car can stay safe in 2years of running?
    are you a mechanic?...thought not! i MOT cars every day and see dangerous defects on 3 year old cars with quite low mileage.
    this thread is about road safety because as a mechanic i can see what a dangerous idea it is! it isnt just the trade thats against it,most of the public i speak to are against it too and have signed the petition.reason being that they know that some people simply dont take responsibility for the maintenance of their cars.

2nd mistake,
    assuming that i'm not intelligent just because i don't agree with some pompous idiot that thinks he knows everything.
    now,do you have anything constructive to say?
  • Options
    Personally, I would say that they should have it once a year for cars over 10 years old (or so many thousand miles), and every two years for cars up to that. Either that, or every two years for anything up to ten years that is serviced by the dealer every year or 10000 miles. And perhaps make exceptions for anything that has been involved in a major crash.
  • Options
    how the hell do you know that a car can stay safe in 2years of running?

How do you know a car can stay safe in one year of running? Shall we have weekly MOT tests just to make sure? There has to be a cut-off somewhere.

The EU standard won't have been plucked out of someone's arse, so I have no reason to believe that adhering to the EU standard rather than the current law would cause any detriment to safety. Comparing road safety in different countries is pointless and always ends up being about choosing the stats that back your point of view up- that article was saying the UK's roads are safer, yet a fortnight ago in a thread about speed cameras someone else was using an article to show that UK roads are less safe because of the cameras.

Equally, whilst I wasn't being 100% serious about car mechanics, problems with discrepancies in MOT testing have been well documented. Which? had an article on it not so long ago that basically slaughtered the big franchise dealerships for failing too easy and slaughtered the small garages for not failing enough. An MOT test is only as good as the people carrying it out, and I think that is where Government energy should be expended.

Interestingly enough, the main reason your source gave for keeping the law as it is was:
    article wrote:
    [a change in the law would] Put 15,000+ MOT Testers out of work, plus more redundancies in other motor industry retail

as if legislation should act solely to keep a monpoly industry in business.

If you're going to follow me around like a low-rent stalker, using smilies and garbled English to insult me rather than engage in debate, then I'm going to think that you are stupid. You asked for thoughts, I gave you mine, and all I get is a garbled :rolleyes: :mad: :thumb: :rolleyes: :chin: nonsense :rolleyes: being abusive.
  • Options
    Mad Mac. Are you a mechanic?
  • Options
    Mad Mac. Are you a mechanic?
    yes i am mate,and also an MOT tester.
  • Options
    If you're going to follow me around like a low-rent stalker, using smilies and garbled English to insult me rather than engage in debate, then I'm going to think that you are stupid. You asked for thoughts, I gave you mine, and all I get is a garbled nonsense being abusive

what the hell are you on about man? ive comented about you on one other thread thats all,i'd hardly call that stalking and its you that is instantly abusive.
    I object to your arrogant manor.you dont post as if its just your view, you post as if what your saying is fact! then get abusive to anyone that dissagrees with you,its annoying.

anyway on topic,ofcorse i cannot say that a car will stay roadworthy in a year but surly extending it to 2 years will increase the odds of dangerous defects causing an accident?
    obviously it will hurt the trade and obviously you dont give a flying fuck about that,you'd rather stick to steriotyping a trade of which you know very little about.you seem to think mechanics have got it all their own way and make shit loads of money by ripping people off ,and you wont entertain any idea that there are reputable garages out there that are concerned about road safety.there are dodgy garages around,but there are dodgy bastards in any trade!.its not fair to make sweeping statements,it really puts my back up and derails the purpose of this thread.
  • Options
    anyway on topic,ofcorse i cannot say that a car will stay roadworthy in a year but surly extending it to 2 years will increase the odds of dangerous defects causing an accident?

You're right, it would increase the chances of a dangerous defect going un-noticed, but I don't think it would increase it all that much.

I don't think the law should be changed because it isn't broken, but I don't think that we'd all suddenly start driving around in death-traps simply because the MOT period was extended. Most people would still have the annual service anyway.
    obviously it will hurt the trade and obviously you dont give a flying fuck about that

I don't especially care if a few garages go bust. I don't think they would.

If a business is only surviving because of a mandatory test, then the business is doomed anyway.
    you'd rather stick to steriotyping a trade of which you know very little about.you seem to think mechanics have got it all their own way and make shit loads of money by ripping people off ,and you wont entertain any idea that there are reputable garages out there that are concerned about road safety.

Of course there are a lot of reputable garages about, but Which? were pretty damning about the whole trade, to be honest. I tend to believe them. I don't think all mechanics are bent by any stretch of the imagination, I don't even think a majority are, but the whole industry does seem to be a law unto itself. I don't want to disparage your profession, and I'm not saying that you're bent or incompetent either, but when the industry is repeatedly getting slaughtered by independent watchdogs it can't all be sour grapes.
  • Options
    yes i am mate,and also an MOT tester.

Thought so. Helps if you declare an interest with a thread like this.

Basically this is heavily about a job risk for you then?
  • Options
    Thought so. Helps if you declare an interest with a thread like this.

Basically this is heavily about a job risk for you then?
    With all due respect,i'm sick of hearing this.if this plan was to go ahead then the trade would probably double the price of an MOT test to compensate for the lost revenue.so in answer to your question,it probably would'nt affect my job but would be damaging for the trade to start with as customers would still expect to pay the same as they do now.
    My point is,this can't be good for either trade,public or road safety??
    its very easy to slate this trade because no one likes parting with money and when faced with a large bill we must be ripping them off?? surely? but in actual fact these repairs are vital to keep the car safe, not just for them but evryone else on the road.if people want the convenience of having a car, then they should expect at least once a year to make sure it meets with a basic requirement imo.the fact that there were so many fatalities before the MOT scheme was put in place in the 60's prooves that most people will not take responsibility for its maintenance.
    24 months is far too long to take that gamble, and juging by the state of cars i see once a year then a 6monthly MOT would be a better idea imo.feel free to say i'm only saying that to get another holiday a year:)
  • Options
    You're right, it would increase the chances of a dangerous defect going un-noticed, but I don't think it would increase it all that much
    Trust me mate it would.i'd like you to spend a day MOT testing with me, so i could show you what i mean.
  • Options
    With all due respect,i'm sick of hearing this.if this plan was to go ahead then the trade would probably double the price of an MOT test to compensate for the lost revenue.

Isn't the price set by the Govt/Department of Transport?

As for the rest, I don't actually have a problem with testing one per year but the I have a mechanic that I trust not to rip me off.
  • Options
    Isn't the price set by the Govt/Department of Transport?
    there is a maximum charge set by "VOSA" yes,but i'm quite sure this would be increased if this plan were to go ahead.

i'm quite aware of the rip-off merchants in this trade, thats why i contribute to a forum that gives advice to the public when their car fails an MOT.

link:- http://www.motester.co.uk/forums/category1/
  • Options
    there is a maximum charge set by "VOSA" yes,but i'm quite sure this would be increased if this plan were to go ahead.
    Why? The garage wouldn't incur any extra costs, so why should the customer have to pay more?