Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

I want out

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is anyone familar with property law?!

My landlord just decided to up the rent...half way through my lease!
Does that give me ground to terminate it?
Having read and re-read the lease, I was under the impression the price I signed out would remain constant until the lease lapsed.
Isn't that the way it's supposed to go?
Then once the lease has lapsed, the landlord can hike the rent and you have the option to resign or peace out.

I dunno.

But I'm ragin.

Comments

• Options
    This will probably get better answers in the home, money and law forum..

I would imagine that the landlord cannot just up the price whenever they feel like it, sounds a bit strange. I'm sure Kermit will be along soon with the full answer..
  • Options
    My bad.
    Didn't know there was such a forum.
    Cheers for callin me out :)
  • Options
    I think you can just give you landlord one months notice in writing. You should call your local Citizens Advice Bureau for some advice or visit their website, they have lots of useful information on there. The Site also has their own section on Home, Law & Money so you should have a read of that as well.
  • Options
    From the Shelter website:
    Rent can be increased, but only at certain times during the tenancy and only in certain circumstances. These depend on the type of tenancy you have and what your agreement says about when the rent can be increased.

From TheSite's own info pages:
    Landlord puts rent up half way through your lease
    If you're on a fixed term lease (such as 12 months), they legally can't do this. This will be covered in your contract, along with info on your notice period. Read your contract.
  • Options
    If you have a fixed-term lease, which most private leases are, then they cannot put the rent up during the tenancy. The tenancy can be terminated if mutually agreed, but one side cannot unilaterally change the payment or tear the contract up.

Basically tell your landlord to stick the rent increase up his arse, he can't force you to pay it, and legally doesn't have a leg to stand on. You could use it as an opportunity to mutually terminate the agreement if you no longer wish to live there, but make sure you get everything down in writing. You will continue to be liable for the agreed rent rate, you cannot just decide to terminate the agreement without his express written consent.

ETA: I notice that you're in Scotland. The law is slightly different to what I know, but as far as I'm aware the general principle remains the same.