Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Pointless Laws

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Kinda inspired by the tolerance thread, where MOK stated that he believed that certain (all?) anti-discrimination laws are pointless, and that it's a change of attitude that causes change rather than laws. So what laws have you experienced that you think are pretty pointless. More a place to rant rather than have a proper debate, so don't take everything too serious (that means you, regulars). Oh, and preferably stuff that affects you personally.

One from my work which I've never got is the drink measures law where everything must legally be measured before it's poured and must be in measures of 25 or 35ml (one or the other, not both, and it doesn't apply to cocktails). I mean as long as the customer can ask beforehand how much they're gonna get, I don't see the need for strict rules. Any half-decent pub is gonna measure anyway for stock control.

So which ones have you come across. *Waits for the rush to say "all of them"*

Comments

• Options

All of them :p

Hmm... I'm sure I've thought of one/discussed them with friends before now, silly little laws that make no sense... but I can't think...

I will be back once I've thougt. Any excuse to rant.
  • Options
    Here's one that made me laugh.

"MPs are not allowed to don armour in Parliament."

I can just see Tony Blair in a suit of armour during question time. :lol:

A few can be found for the UK here:

http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/international/united-kingdom/

Also has ones for other countries, like this one from Singapore:

"It is illegal to pee in an elevator."

A No Shit Sherlock Law i think. :yes:
  • Options
    I thought the spirits measures are done so drinks can be taxed nicely and to the last drop by the government?

One of the joys of going to places like Spain is ordering a drink and having the waiter pouring a generous amount directly from the bottle without any measuring bullshit. A lot cheaper too...
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    I thought the spirits measures are done so drinks can be taxed nicely and to the last drop by the government?
    No, you get a flat tax on your profits for the business like any other. Any tax on the alcohol goes on the purchase price.

ETA: Spirit measure laws don't apply to cocktails, for example (a cocktail being defined by any drink with three or more ingredients).
  • Options
    The specific ruling that made driving whilst on the phone illegal. Why not just clarify Driving Without Due Care and Attention to cover the use of mobile phones.
  • Options
    smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    Haha just read this from dumblaws.com

In the state of Texas it is illegal to sell someone's eye !! WTF
  • Options
    This is from Canada. How pointless.

"When raining, a person may not water his/her lawn." :lol:

In the American State of Wyoming: "Using a firearm to fish is strictly forbidden." :lol:

And 1 from Montana:

"It is illegal for a man and a woman to have sex in any other position other than missionary style." Boring Bastards
  • Options
    One from my work which I've never got is the drink measures law where everything must legally be measured before it's poured and must be in measures of 25 or 35ml (one or the other, not both, and it doesn't apply to cocktails). I mean as long as the customer can ask beforehand how much they're gonna get, I don't see the need for strict rules. Any half-decent pub is gonna measure anyway for stock control.

Tbh... If there weren't laws on the measures of alcohol, pubs could take the piss. Plus I don't think we're a nation of binge drinkers, not good.

I think there should be stricter laws regarding food labelling, so parents know that those Dairylea Lunchables are full of shit.

Pointless laws? There's one regarding knives, if you have them in public you can be arrested and charged. For example, if you use a stanleyknife in work and take it home from work in your car and get pulled over... The police search your car and find it. You technically have it in a public place and can be sent to court.
  • Options
    Most of the laws in America are stupid.

I don't understand that you can't serve more that a double in a bar but it's fine for someone to order two doubles and drink that, if that makes sense.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    Tbh... If there weren't laws on the measures of alcohol, pubs could take the piss. Plus I don't think we're a nation of binge drinkers, not good.

I don't see how. Customers are smart enough to know what they're getting. It's not as if they'd be allowed to misrepresent anything. Customers in cocktail bars don't get the piss taken out of them, so I don't see why they would in any other pub.
  • Options
    I don't see how. Customers are smart enough to know what they're getting. It's not as if they'd be allowed to misrepresent anything. Customers in cocktail bars don't get the piss taken out of them, so I don't see why they would in any other pub.

I think that cocktail bars are mainly middle class territories just because they're so expensive. Also, most are in the cities and you watch what you drink more in the city because you have to get home.

I'm not saying that working class people are anymore irresponsible, but if you're giving people a shitload of spirits, or inconsistant amount then people aren't able to pace themselves as much.
  • Options
    I think that cocktail bars are mainly middle class territories just because they're so expensive. Also, most are in the cities and you watch what you drink more in the city because you have to get home.
    I would guess that the biggest sellers of cocktails are Yates' and Wetherspoons, and the same laws apply to them.
    I'm not saying that working class people are anymore irresponsible, but if you're giving people a shitload of spirits, or inconsistant amount then people aren't able to pace themselves as much.
    Why would it be an inconsistant amount? Like I said, the vast majority of pubs (or at least any that want to make money) would still measure it to control their stock. It's just mean that they couldn't be fined for daring to serve their spirits as 30ml measures rather than 25ml or 35ml, or their lager as mug fulls rather than pints if that's what they really wanted to do.
  • Options
    There are various laws in the Marches towns about shooting Welshmen with a bow and arrow after midnight on a Sunday or something.

Putting a stamp upside down is considered high treason (and was punishable by death until 1998).
  • Options
    It is legal to shoot a Scotsman with a bow and arrow within the walls of York on any day except a sunday. The law was never repealed.

It's legal to shoot a Welshman within the City of Chester on any day except a sunday and anywhere but on Cathedral Close.

At least, I think it's Chester anyway.
  • Options
    Ghost18 wrote: »
    This is from Canada. How pointless.

"When raining, a person may not water his/her lawn." :lol:

In the American State of Wyoming: "Using a firearm to fish is strictly forbidden." :lol:
    In the state of Texas it is illegal to sell someone's eye

Why n earth would anyone want to do any of these in the first place, anyway?:confused:
  • Options
    Sunday trading laws
  • Options
    Sunday trading laws

:thumb:
  • Options
    The measurment law is rather pointless on first thought. I belive the same laws apply for wine and beer. Maybe its to make it more clear on what one can legally drink before driving. Or to stop scams such as "Triple vodka + mix only £1.50" with a small print of "measurements of 10ml spirits"
  • Options
    olaola wrote: »
    The measurment law is rather pointless on first thought. I belive the same laws apply for wine and beer. Maybe its to make it more clear on what one can legally drink before driving. Or to stop scams such as "Triple vodka + mix only £1.50" with a small print of "measurements of 10ml spirits"

That is illegal. Vodka, Rum, Whisky and Gin have to be served in 25ml or 35ml measures. The pub has to have a sign telling you how much, and everything they put these four things in, except cocktails (defined as any single drink with 3 or more ingredients) have to be served in that measure. I think it's pointless, but if there's a pub doing what you're saying, they're breaking the law.
  • Options
    That is illegal. Vodka, Rum, Whisky and Gin have to be served in 25ml or 35ml measures. The pub has to have a sign telling you how much, and everything they put these four things in, except cocktails (defined as any single drink with 3 or more ingredients) have to be served in that measure. I think it's pointless, but if there's a pub doing what you're saying, they're breaking the law.

Nah ive not known that to happen. But supposing spirit measurements varied from pub to pub, there is more chance of being mislead by promotions.
  • Options
    xsazx wrote: »
    illegal to commit suicide (according to Tayla not sure if its actually passed though)

In the 1960s it was illegal. No idea about the law on this now though.
  • Options
    I would guess that the biggest sellers of cocktails are Yates' and Wetherspoons, and the same laws apply to them.
    No, bars like Wetherspoons, Barracuda, Yates ect all measure their spirits in cocktails.

Why would it be an inconsistant amount? Like I said, the vast majority of pubs (or at least any that want to make money) would still measure it to control their stock. It's just mean that they couldn't be fined for daring to serve their spirits as 30ml measures rather than 25ml or 35ml, or their lager as mug fulls rather than pints if that's what they really wanted to do.
    Yeah, but wouldn't you be pissed off if you went to one pub and bought a double whisky and coke with 50mil of whiskey, then paid the same in another and got 40 mil?
  • Options
    No, bars like Wetherspoons, Barracuda, Yates ect all measure their spirits in cocktails.
    Exactly. Because like I said, practically every bar would measure their spirits for stock control reasons. Just because Wetherspoons measure the spirits in their cocktails, doesn't mean they're legally required to. I work in a place that serves cocktails, and we measure them as well.
    Yeah, but wouldn't you be pissed off if you went to one pub and bought a double whisky and coke with 50mil of whiskey, then paid the same in another and got 40 mil?
    No, I'd look at the measures they're using. I'd be about as pissed off if I went into one bar and a double was 50ml instead of 70ml as well, but that happens at the moment. So like most other people, I'd make sure that I went to the one that serves 70ml in future instead.