Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Job I'm not sure I want...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
OK, well, I haven't actually been offered the job yet, but it's turning into such a hassle just to go for the interview that it's leading me to wonder if it's going to be worthwhile going for the job.

I've been offered an interview this weekend at a spa resort "near" to me. Thing is, I'm not even sure if I'd want the job - I've never been really interested in spa work, and tbh, I only applied to get my tutor off my back about "life after college".

Thing is, just getting to the interview is going to be a pain. It's 26ish miles each way, and it's not exactly an area me or my mum know. I don't drive myself, so even if I am offered the job, I have no idea how I'd get there. I'm hoping to pass my test soon, but realistically, I probably wont in time for when the job would start. I don't think I'd feel secure being a new driver driving 52 miles plus a day through villages I don't know before I'm even used to driving in general.

I don't fancy living there either, as far as I can tell, it's very much a secluded area, and I'd probably go loopy with boredom living there alone.

It seems a bit daft thinking about this before I've even had an interview, but I've had an off feeling about it all week and don't think I really want the job even if I was good enough....

... but at the same time, I need to start looking into work after college, and I'm damn lucky to have got an interview at this place to be fair.

Meh. I don't even know what I'm asking. Opinions maybe, what would you be thinking if you were me? Would you be really clever and think of a solution to it all, or would you do what I'm considering and just forget about it now?

Comments

• Options
    i think it's probably worth going even if it's just for the experience of an interview. you might like it there - only one way of finding out. :)
  • Options
    If you really don't think that you're going to take the job, I would advise not bothering to go to the interview if it's gonna be a ball-ache. I used to go for any interviews that were offered to me (even if I didn't really want the job) on the grounds that it's all good experience. Just had to make sure I said something stupid during the interview to ensure that they wouldn't be tempted to hire me but then I started feeling guilty about wasting people's time.

It's a hard one really but my advice would be not to bother if you really don't think that it's the job for you.
  • Options
    I personally would forget it. I'd tell the place, thanks for the offer but current circumstances mean I can't work there, and ask them to keep my details on file should circumstances enable me to work there in the future.
  • Options
    My advice would be to go for the interview at least, if you're going to be able to get a lift there or whatever fairly easily. Scope it out, ask loads of questions and you might be so utterly charmed by the prospects that you decide all the hassle would be well worth it. Alternatively it'll confirm your suspicions that it's all just a bit too much hassle.

52 miles is a fair whack to travel to a job you're not enthusiastic about, but you'd be doing yourself an injustice not taking them up on the interview they've offered you -- it's all experience and you never know, it might turn out to be some kinda dream job.

What are your other prospects? If the idea of working in a spa doesn't grab you then is there something else that does? Salon work? Further training? It's awful coming to a conclusion on a course and not having the set plan that a lot of other may have. But you're in an ideal situation to be honest, you're young, [about to be] qualified and with the world of beauty at your feet. Explore every option... going to interviews, asking for as much info as possible, chasing up weird and wacky potential career paths, getting in touch with people who've gone into their own beauty-related ventures will all help you decide where you're heading. Don't feel pressurised by your college tutor... they're generally really pushy/nosy buggers anyway!

If you do go for it then best of luck, chick :thumb: :)
  • Options
    even if it's just for the experience of an interview.

Probably should have mentioned this as well originally... but as much as I agree with the experience bit... beauty interviews are a complete day waster. I'm likely to be there for about 3 -4 hours, while my mum sits in the car (which I'm still not happy with... but theres no where for her to go). This is why I'm wondering if it's going to be a waste of their time and mine...
  • Options
    Nikki* wrote: »
    Probably should have mentioned this as well originally... but as much as I agree with the experience bit... beauty interviews are a complete day waster. I'm likely to be there for about 3 -4 hours, while my mum sits in the car (which I'm still not happy with... but theres no where for her to go). This is why I'm wondering if it's going to be a waste of their time and mine...

I think you've answered your own question. It's obvious from what you've written that you don't want to go but we can only give you opinions rather than tell you what you should do.

Personally, I wouldn't go, because I wouldn't see the point. If you don't want the job you're hardly going to relish the interview and see it as an exciting opportunity and 'experience' and you'll more than likely not come across as well as you would if you were making an effort. If you don't want the job you're wasting their time as well as your own in my opinion.
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote: »
    I think you've answered your own question. It's obvious from what you've written that you don't want to go but we can only give you opinions rather than tell you what you should do.

Personally, I wouldn't go, because I wouldn't see the point. If you don't want the job you're hardly going to relish the interview and see it as an exciting opportunity and 'experience' and you'll more than likely not come across as well as you would if you were making an effort. If you don't want the job you're wasting their time as well as your own in my opinion.

:yes: :thumb:

It is glaringly obvious you don't want to go to the interview and you don't want the job, from what you've said. So I guess it would just be an exercise in futility/waste of everyone's time/waste of petrol. Keep on looking!
  • Options
    briggi wrote: »

It is glaringly obvious you don't want to go to the interview and you don't want the job, from what you've said.

Haha, I know that. My father however, will turn ten shades of purple if I don't go. I have to decide if it's a worthwhile decision not to go and put up with his shouting, or if I should go for the quiet life. He would quite happily of sent me into a job straight from school, and can't fully grasp why I'm not working 40 hours a week at my current job. :yeees: I'm beginning to think I'm going to cancel though. I just don't want to make any decisions based on my grumpiness this week - it's just been a bit of a shit few weeks generally for me, and I don't want to have that impact something that could be worthwhile.

Hohum. We shall see...
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    See, I understand why everyone is saying 'don't go' and stuff. However, I would be tempted to go just for the experience of an interview. You don't need to take the job if offered it, but it is always good to have more interview experience under your belt.
  • Options
    See, I understand why everyone is saying 'don't go' and stuff. However, I would be tempted to go just for the experience of an interview. You don't need to take the job if offered it, but it is always good to have more interview experience under your belt.

Why travel all that way though? Plus her poor mum will have to sit in the car for hours on end, bored out of her mind I would imagine.

Plus, if you don't want the job it will be obvious. I think it's a bit of an insult to the people interviewing to be frank. Imagine if they offered her the job just for her to say 'errr, nah.' If I was the firm/interviewer I'd be well hacked off that someone wasted my time.
  • Options
    I think you should go and have the experience, but you quite clearly don't want to go so I'm not entirely sure why you bothered to ask our opinion.

It seems this post was as much a waste of time as the interview will be.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    I'm not entirely sure why you bothered to ask our opinion.

It seems this post was as much a waste of time as the interview will be.

Because when I originally posted, I was less sure than I am now. Seeing as the interviews this weekend I've had to do some pretty rapid thinking. I even said in the original post I wasn't sure what I was asking - just that I was unsure about it all. And even if I don't want the job, fact is, if I do go to the interview, and they do offer me it, I'm more than likely going to have to take it.

If you thought my post was such a waste of time, then there was no need to reply tbh.
  • Options
    Nikki* wrote: »
    And even if I don't want the job, fact is, if I do go to the interview, and they do offer me it, I'm more than likely going to have to take it.

You could turn them down. I've turned jobs down after interview before, although that's mostly because something better turned up.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    You could turn them down. I've turned jobs down after interview before, although that's mostly because something better turned up.

Well I suppose in a round about way that's my point. Do I go to the interview, knowing that if they offer me the job I'm going to turn it down in favour of pretty much any other job, or do I go, and accept whatever they offer just because it's damn hard to get a job at 18 with no experience in the area and hate it the whole time?

I admit I'm not really thinking straight this week for various personal reasons and problems recently, and I know I shouldn't let that help me make up my mind about a job I wont even start for a month or so yet, but it's hard. The interview fell at the wrong time tbh, though obviously that's no ones fault.
  • Options
    have you applied for any other jobs?
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    have you applied for any other jobs?

Not recently no. I sent out my CV to this one at the end of December, same as several other salons in my area. This is the first I've heard from any place, I was planning on resending them all over last week, but I was unwell and never got round to it, and then I got the letter from this spa last Friday.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Sweetie, I know how hard you have been finding it to get this far. Please dont let the distance put you off. I know you cant drive, your mum will have to wait etc, but I really think it will be worth your while. All interview experience is good, and I understand you say it is a day waster, however, its not like you have anything else to be doing ;)
    I really think you should pop along, whats one day, and Im sure your mum wont mind, and if she does Ill have a word.
    Spa work is better than the ships, remember that :)

xx