Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

San Diego

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Thinking of going to San Deigo for the summer to work but don't really know much about the place, has anyone been there for holiday/work?

Can get a job at $7 an hour, is this good for USA or what as i'm not totally sure about the wages over there.

Thanks for any help
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Shogun wrote: »
    Thinking of going to San Deigo for the summer to work but don't really know much about the place, has anyone been there for holiday/work?

Can get a job at $7 an hour, is this good for USA or what as i'm not totally sure about the wages over there.

Thanks for any help

I worked on a summer camp near San Diego a few years ago. I liked the city a lot. It has great weather, lovely beaches and a decent night life. Lots of decent, cheap restaurants selling food from all round the world, I had Persian, Thai and Mexican.

You can get a ferry to Coranado Island, I saw a dolphin swimming in the sea when I was on the ferry.

I don't think there are direct flights there, I had to fly to NYC, then to LA and then on to SD in a tiny 10 seater plane

:eek:
  • Options
    I think you can get some direct flights there - or you can fly directly to LA and then drive or get the bus its about 3 hours.

San Diego is great I really like it.

$7 an hour sounds pretty crap though - its about £3.50 and the cost of living in CA is quite expensive.
  • Options

That's how they treat immigrants in the good ole US of A.
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote: »
    I think you can get some direct flights there - or you can fly directly to LA and then drive or get the bus its about 3 hours.

San Diego is great I really like it.

$7 an hour sounds pretty crap though - its about £3.50 and the cost of living in CA is quite expensive.

That's what i was thinking.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    That's how they treat immigrants in the good ole US of A.

Why bother replying if you've nothing useful to say you camlough scum. ;)
  • Options
    At risk of quoting Ron Burgundy, San Diego is really cool.

The zoo is especially awesome.
  • Options

Thanks for any help

That would be unlivable, even just for something temporary. Even minimum wage in Chicago will be over that in July. And San Diego, or anything that way would be more expensive. I would say $12. It would be tough but doable.

Girlinthecurl lives out in Cali I think, I'm sure she could give you a good idea of what will get you where.
  • Options
    San Diego

Shogun you wouldnt get through the airport with your bad haircut they would think your a terrorist....just give up!:p
  • Options
    my hair cut was my off my head fault..lol

it'l;l be gone by then. :P
  • Options
    It's booked now so i'll find out in a couple of months exactly what it's like, can't wait.
  • Options
    Make sure they let you through at the airport, you could get deported.

"Threat to the Nation"
  • Options
    No bother.

I'll have to look into that. ;:
  • Options
    Are you really going to try to live off that? Do you have a place to stay for free at least?
  • Options
    My parents are going to the same place for 3 weeks,im leaving with them, have a holiday for a week then start working, its actually near $8 an hour now.

Yea ill have a free place plus im bringing over $1000 with me,cant wait and its actually booked.
  • Options
    Yea ill have a free place plus im bringing over $1000 with me,cant wait and its actually booked.

That's you sorted then. :thumb:
  • Options
    Oh that'll be much better then. Have fun. Sounds exciting.
  • Options
    Think im visiting over that way for my week off when i go back to florida to work this summer, let me know what its like! hope you have an amazing time
  • Options
    cant wait yea..

just have to make sure i pass all my exams and dont have to come back early if i've repeats to do, happened my mate last year and he was raging.