Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Delivery to Wrong Address

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Where do we stand on this?

My boyfriend ordered me some flowers for Valentines Day via a reputable company on the internet. He entered the postcode and a list of possible addresses came up. As the place I was staying wasn't on the list he picked the option to input the address from scratch. He telephoned the place I was staying and asked for their full postal address, which they gave, and he entered that address:

Jurys Inn Hotel, Belfast. Fisherwick Place, Great Victoria Street, Belfast, BT2 7AP.

Valentines Day came and slowly disappeared and no flowers arrived. He kept calling me asking how my day was and if anything unusual had happened, which of course it hadn't. By 9pm he was so annoyed that he called the hotel up the road:

The Europa Hotel, Great Victoria St, Belfast, BT2 7AP.

Lo and behold, the flowers were there. The staff had opened the card to find out who they could call to say they had been delivered incorrectly but the staff at the flower company had said they couldn't give them any information due to the Data Protection Act.

Anyway, my boyfriend ended up having to tell me all about the surprise flowers and I had to walk up the street at 10pm at night, on my own, to collect me own Valentines flowers from the wrong hotel.

My boyfriend called the flower company the next day and they said it was his fault because he used the wrong postcode. They would not accept that these hotels share a postcode and are practically next door to one another (the Opera House is the only thing inbetween them!) He said he had purposefully given the name of the correct hotel and the flower company admitted that they only go by postcode when delivering and they type the postcode into their little Sat Nav machine and the only hotel it brought up was the Europa. Surely this is not my boyfriend's fault?!

If I ordered flowers to be delivered to a residential address they would look at the house number, not just deliver them to the first house they reach with that postcode?! My boyfriend called the company incompetent and whoever he was speaking to said that he must be the incompetent one for not using the correct postcode!

Argh!

Anyway, sorry about the rant, but my main question is:

What course of action should we take now? The company are saying it is my boyfriend's fault for using the wrong postcode (which he didn't since they share a postcode, duh!) and are refusing an apology or refund on the items.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'd put it in writing to them asking for a refund, being careful to include the words "Trading" and "Standards" ;)
    Write to them, and remind them that the product was mis-sold and mis-delivered.

If they won't budge, recall the payment at your bank.
    That's awful, awful service and a shame it spoilt your boyfriend's suprise too.
    The payment has already cleared so that option is out of the question.

We sent them an email last Thursday and are giving them 7 days in which to reply. If we haven't heard back then we're going to write to them in the old fashioned way (we haven't done this yet because we don't have a printer and it's a faff trying to use someone elses!)
    That's just not right I hope you get it sorted.