Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Return of the Champions League

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    migpilot wrote: »
    So if a ref gave a free kick anywhere else on the pitch and a couple of Lille guys were standing a few yards away trying to form a wall and giggs went and hit the ball into them, should they receive a yellow card?
    If you say a freekick from which there can be a goal scoring opportunity is the same as a free kick anywhere else, why is making of a wall allowed then and not at half way line?
    The ref saw that the Lille guys were setting up the wall and that one of them had his back away from the ball, he saw all that and yet he walked away and Giggs scored.
    Would you be happy if someone sucker punched you while you were looking away?
    Don't think so!!!
    Think most of this has being answered by others!

Just to add its perfectly feasable to set start setting the wall up 2 yards from the free-kick, its a bit cheeky but doubt it would get punished, this is a tactic I've seen many use in the premiership to stop the free-kick being taken quickly!
    Obviously I wouldn't be happy if it happened against my team, I'm not happy when anyone scores against my team no matter what way it goes in. But to be blatently honest I'd be more pissed off at my own team for losing concentration to allow this to happen, they know the rules, they know its allowed, so instantly in that situation they should be aware of the danger and get rid of it by either setting the wall up 2 yards in front of the ball OR the keeper should not help set the wall up until its clear the ref will be counting out 10 yards! Simple really!!
  • Options
    Addict wrote: »
    If they're not 10 yards and they're deliberately obstructing the flow of play then yes, they should get booked.

So would they get the yellow card if they've done it setting up a wall just outside the box?
    The attacking team decides whether to take a quick free kick, or wait for a wall. The defending team don't have a say. The only way Giggs could've been in the wrong was if he asked for a wall, then subsequently kicked it before the referee had blown his whistle.

Why would the attacking team ever decide that they want a wall???? It's actually the defense who decide whether they want to set up the wall and the referee has to make it clear that the free kick will be taken after he whistles or they can take a free kick when they want. I've not seen the ref indicate either way.
  • Options
    So would they get the yellow card if they've done it setting up a wall just outside the box?

If they're seen to be deliberately obstructing the ball then yes, but if the attacker just kicks it at them before they can get back then no.

Why would the attacking team ever decide that they want a wall????

To get the defence back a full 10 yards so they can have a direct shot at goal without impeding defenders! You'll notice when the attacking team choose a wall, the referee always moves the defenders back the full ten yards, waits till the keeper signals he's ready, then blows his whistle signalling that the free kick can be taken.

It's actually the defense who decide whether they want to set up the wall and the referee has to make it clear that the free kick will be taken after he whistles or they can take a free kick when they want. I've not seen the ref indicate either way.

Are you just making this up because it's what you believe happens? The attacking team decides. Then the ref moves the defence back the full 10 yards, and once the keeper is ready the attacker can take the kick.
  • Options

Why would the attacking team ever decide that they want a wall???? It's actually the defense who decide whether they want to set up the wall and the referee has to make it clear that the free kick will be taken after he whistles or they can take a free kick when they want. I've not seen the ref indicate either way.
    Basically say in the middle of the park the team with the free-kick grabs the ball and puts it down and an oppenent runs over and sticks his foot in front of the ball so it hits him when they take it, this would be a yellow card. IF the defending team starts to set a wall up a few yards from the ball then this would go unpunished and stop the attacking team taking a free-kick!!
    Think he worded the last bit slightly wrong but I got the jist of what he was saying. The attacking team decide whether they want the wall counting out 10 yards back, if they decide they want the wall counting out then they have to wait for the whistle, otherwise its just like any normal free-kick that they can take when they want without having to wait for the whistle!
    The ref in this instance clearly makes a remark to giggs which i imagine was "do you want the wall counting out" giggs has said no, the ref clearly turns and walks away and giggs takes the free-kick and scores!
    No argument, a perfectly legal goal!
    Don't know how Lille have the cheek to report the ref and that goal to UEFA, hehe, so unbelievable its verging on funny!
  • Options
    Are you just making this up because it's what you believe happens? The attacking team decides. Then the ref moves the defence back the full 10 yards, and once the keeper is ready the attacker can take the kick.
    Think your confusing each other lol. I get what he's saying, the defending team decides whether they want a wall, the attacking team decide if they want it 10 yards back or not!
  • Options
    Look, I don't care... LOL ... we are not gonna agree over technicalities.
    We beat Barca yesterday and it's all good.

You are right though, Lille putting up a complaint is hilarious!
  • Options
    Think your confusing each other lol. I get what he's saying, the defending team decides whether they want a wall, the attacking team decide if they want it 10 yards back or not!

Yea, but the defending team only get a chance to set up a wall if the attacking team state they want it, and for it to be moved back the 10 yards obviously. Otherwise the attacking team can just take it quick. It all rests on the decision of the attacking team. Basically Lille were caught off guard because they obviously assumed Giggs was going to wait for a wall to be moved back 10 yards.
  • Options
    Additionally, if the attacking team decides to hit it quick, and the defending team are blocking the way whilst they organise themselves, then that's the attacking teams loss for hitting it quick. Usually it's better to wait for the wall to be moved back 10 yards, but obviously Giggs saw the opportunity and decided just to hit it.
  • Options
    Yea, but the defending team only get a chance to set up a wall if the attacking team state they want it,
    Think this the confusing statement, Attacking team don't state whether they want a wall, only if the wall gets moved back, its usually the keeper on the defending team who asks for the wall and states how manys going in it, obviously if they take a quick one the wall wouldn't have chance to get set up properly!
  • Options
    Think this the confusing statement, Attacking team don't state whether they want a wall, only if the wall gets moved back, its usually the keeper on the defending team who asks for the wall and states how manys going in it, obviously if they take a quick one the wall wouldn't have chance to get set up properly!

Yea, that's what I mean. The defending team can set up a wall, but if the attacking team, on their own decision, take the free kick before the wall's set up, then the defence can't complain. The defence set up a wall themselves but the attacking team don't have to wait till it's back 10 yards unless they explicitly choose to do so, in which case they then wait for the whistle.
  • Options
    Yip ya, suck da back of them. :D