Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Book Thread

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Went back a fair bit and couldn't really find anything like this.

I am in need of reading inspiration. I :heart: talking about books I have read with other people who have read them. And there is none of that in my house of friendship group :crying: the book deprived people.

I have just fineshed a book called "My best friends daughter" (I think) and I actually strangley enjoyed it.

I have picked up a cheap book called Wish upon a star to keep me ticking over till I can do an amazon order on Friday (daddys payday). I have "the girls" reccomended so that is on my wish list.

Any more?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    If by The Girls you mean that turgid piece of shit about conjoined twins by Lori Lansens then please, please don't waste hours of your life on it like I did.

Its power is in the way it brazenly tries to manipulate your emotions - and it can't even manage that. I could feel the author willing me to burst into floods of tears but it was literally too shite to have the desired effect (and I cry when reading so many books) - you could practically hear the cogs turning in her head "ooh this'll get 'em crying and but good" etc.

God it's boring, I can't believe I forgot about it. It well and truly knocked The Lovely Bones off the top spot in my list of boring and unabashedly manipulative books that would serve the world better as kindling.

At the moment I am re-reading The PowerBook by Jeanette Winterson. I am getting a lot more out of it second time 'round, it's excellent.
  • Options
    briggi wrote: »
    God it's boring, I can't believe I forgot about it. It well and truly knocked The Lovely Bones off the top spot in my list of boring and unabashedly manipulative books that would serve the world better as kindling.

Ooo, glad I've found someone else who doesn't rave about how good The Lovely Bones is. I hated it. I did like The Girls though, until none of the cliffhangers were answered at the end.
  • Options
    I hate the lovely bones too.

I liked The Island, The Kite Runner and I like Nikki French books too (they are thriller/murder type things). But usually I just read biographies and travel books.
  • Options
    I prefer to read plays these days.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Best books I have read in the last year have been A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian and Shadow of the Wind. Both really good.

Been reading a lot of Alexander McCall Smith books recently (mainly the No1 Ladies Detective Agency and the 44 Scotland Street series) and I am really enjoying them. Gossipy books but quite fun :)
  • Options
    The last really great book I read was "We need to talk about Kevin". I loved that one, although it did scare me too :(
  • Options
    briggi wrote: »
    If by The Girls you mean that turgid piece of shit about conjoined twins by Lori Lansens then please, please don't waste hours of your life on it like I did.

Its power is in the way it brazenly tries to manipulate your emotions - and it can't even manage that. I could feel the author willing me to burst into floods of tears but it was literally too shite to have the desired effect (and I cry when reading so many books) - you could practically hear the cogs turning in her head "ooh this'll get 'em crying and but good" etc.

At the moment I am re-reading The PowerBook by Jeanette Winterson. I am getting a lot more out of it second time 'round, it's excellent.

I think the books by Dave Pelzer take first place for manipulative bullshite.

Yeaghhhh

Ashlee- The Minotaur by Barbara Vine is really good!
  • Options
    Read A Confederacy of Dunces.

It's the funniest book ever written.
  • Options
    I love anything by Marian Keyes and Catherine Alliott. Chick lit.

I'm also a fan of Tony Parsons - proper laugh out loud books.

Tom Holt for weird sci-fi type stuff.

The last book to make me cry though was 'My Sister's Keeper'. I just didn't see it coming!

I'll generally read anything that's left lying around though. I look reading trashy novels though as I have to read 'sensible' stuff for work and it does kind of take some of the enjoyment out of it.
  • Options
    xsazx wrote: »
    The da vinci code or angels and demons both by Dan Brown both v good reads

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote: »
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Cmon now, she does look like the Dan Brown type of reader.
  • Options
    I only read Chick lit and i'm not even gonna embarrass myself by telling you all which books :p
  • Options
    xsazx wrote: »
    The da vinci code or angels and demons both by Dan Brown both v good reads

Dan Brown needs shooting. I hardly read these days, but I still love the Rama series by Arther C Clarke. And The Phantom Toolbooth is still a favourite from my school days. I even brought a copy of it.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »

eh?
  • Options
    Rachael wrote: »
    eh?

There's a vast number of people who's only books they've read are The Da Vinci code and the Harry Potter series. She looks like one of them, maybe I'm wrong though.
  • Options
    Ashlee??

Harry Potter is great.
  • Options
    There's a vast number of people who's only books they've read are The Da Vinci code and the Harry Potter series. She looks like one of them, maybe I'm wrong though.

Dont get me stated on Harry sodding Potter. I dont see the appeal in the books what so ever. I read the first one and nearly died of boredom.
  • Options
    Harry Potter is great.

Nowhere near as good as the LOTR books, that's about the height of the fantasy genre. Don't mind a bit of magic realism in my books though.
  • Options

Harry Potter is great.

The books are really good, hated the films though. Ruined it completely after they started selling harry potter toys in McDonalds and stuff.
  • Options
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    The books are really good, hated the films though. Ruined it completely after they started selling harry potter toys in McDonalds and stuff.

Ditto about the films. I remember when the first book came out then waiting for the second. It was so exciting. Excitement has pretty much gooone.
  • Options
    Nowhere near as good as the LOTR books, that's about the height of the fantasy genre. Don't mind a bit of magic realism in my books though.

The LOTR books are insane, read them for the first time when I was still in primary school. In fact all books by Tolkien are great, The Hobbit, The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales e.t.c...
  • Options
    Ditto about the films. I remember when the first book came out then waiting for the second. It was so exciting. Excitement has pretty much gooone.

Lol yes I remember that excitement well.
  • Options
    The LOTR books are horrendous. I just don't like Tolkien at all.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster

Way to make a generalisation :thumb:
  • Options
    Infinite wrote: »
    The LOTR books are horrendous. I just don't like Tolkien at all.

It can get very repetitive at times but certainly a lot more metaphorical than that Harry Potter shite.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster

How you can generalise a Dan Brown reader considering how many books the guy has sold is beyone me. However, back on topic - I think the Da Vinci Code is compulsive shit - but I did read it because of the hype - so does that make me a certain type?

However, I would second recommendations for The Kite Runner, We Need To Talk About Kevin, The Shadow of the Wind and A History of Tractors in Ukrainian (think that title might be slightly wrong!).
  • Options
    If we're serious, there's also a certain 'type' of person that really loves Lord of the Rings...and they tend to own twelve sided dice, want to shag elf women, dress up as Gandalf, and snort when they laugh :o
  • Options
    If we're serious, there's also a certain 'type' of person that really loves Lord of the Rings...and they tend to own twelve sided dice, want to shag elf women, dress up as Gandalf, and snort when they laugh :o

I love LOTR and all Tolkien books, and I am completely the opposite to that.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster

:yes: yep, that confirms it, we must be serious. :lol:
  • Options
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    I love LOTR and all Tolkien books, and I am completely the opposite to that.

That was my point.