Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

self dying hair

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
well I want to dye my hair but was wondering can you do it yourself or do you need help of someone else? And if you can do it yourself any tips?

Comments

• Options
    Are you doing an all over colour? And is the colour a lot different than your colour now? I get someone to help me with drastic changes and roots, otherwise I just slap it all on. Put on the gloves, mix the dye and massage into your hair like you would conditioner (but obviously do the roots too)

Tips: Wear a big towel (like a cloak) and secure it under your neck with a clip to avoid dying your clothes or shoulders
  • Options
    good luck.

If it was me, hairdressers and hairdressers only!
  • Options
    I am doing an all over colour, and it is just a bit darker than my hair colour atm, my hair has been dyed before just needs doing again and got nobody to help me out.
  • Options
    One word; NEWSPAPER. (and lots and lots of it)...

I always end up splashing every surface with hairdye - nice dark brown splodges on every wall, mirror and floor covering so it's helpful to have a tarpaulin, or something like newspaper or manky old towels over the floor just in case.

A packet of facewipes are handy in case you get the dye on your skin - it says on some packets to put vaseline around forehead neck and ears but you don't really need to, a packet of facewipes'll do the trick.

Always use the gloves provided, coz your hands will get covered in dye otherwise.

Other than that, have fun!
  • Options
    I've done my own hair since I was 15. I've never needed any help, but it would come in handy for more complicated things like highlights. If you're just doing bogstandard all over colour, it's easy to do it alone.

My tips: to rub vaseline on your ears and hairline to prevent you dying them, and pick a shade or two lighter than the one you actually want, cause in my experience, the colour ALWAYS comes out darker than it looks on the box. :thumb: