Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

The Year You Were Born

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
What's the best film and album from the year you were born?

I've got a few films to choose from, but I'd have to say Once Upon A Time In America has to be the best. Honourable mentions go to Ghostbusters, Gremlins, This Is Spinal Tap, The Terminator, Nightmare On Elm Street and Beverly Hills Cop, Police Academy and The Temple Of Doom. Class year for films.

For albums, the only critically acclaimed album I found from 1984 was Purple Rain by Prince. I guess it was a bit of a crap year for music. On a positive note, it did see the debut releases by The Smiths, The Chili Peppers, Run DMC and The Flaming Lips. And Mr. T's Commandments was another outstanding release. And a special mention has to go to that well known album "The Fucking Cunts Treat Us Like Pricks" by Flux Of Pink Indians. I'm gonna have to find a copy of that.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ooh loads; Ferris Buellers Day off, Pretty in Pink, Stand by Me, The Money Pit, Flight of the Navigator!!!! :hyper: Most people would probably say Top Gun though.

Albums - True Blue, Madonna.
    Lacy wrote: »

I had you down for being much older than an 86er.
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    I had you down for being much older than an 86er.

Nay 86 all the way :thumb:
    Nay 86 all the way :thumb:

Indeed. :thumb:
    1976:
    Rocky, Bugsy Malone, Taxi driver, The Omen.

Hotel california - the eagles
    Joan Armatrading - joan armatrading :heart:
    Oxygene - Jean Michel Jarre
    Steve Miller band - fly like an eagle
    Frank Zappa - zoot allures
    What's the best film and album from the year you were born?

I've got a few films to choose from, but I'd have to say Once Upon A Time In America has to be the best. Honourable mentions go to Ghostbusters, Gremlins, This Is Spinal Tap, The Terminator, Nightmare On Elm Street and Beverly Hills Cop, Police Academy and The Temple Of Doom. Class year for films.

For albums, the only critically acclaimed album I found from 1984 was Purple Rain by Prince. I guess it was a bit of a crap year for music. On a positive note, it did see the debut releases by The Smiths, The Chili Peppers, Run DMC and The Flaming Lips. And Mr. T's Commandments was another outstanding release. And a special mention has to go to that well known album "The Fucking Cunts Treat Us Like Pricks" by Flux Of Pink Indians. I'm gonna have to find a copy of that.
    I'm an 84er too :D
    Film = M*A*S*H, Catch-22 & Tora! Tora! Tora!
    Music = Black Sabbath, Bridge Over Troubled Water, Led Zeppelin III, Live At Leeds...
    Best films: Back To The Future, The Goonies.

Best albums: The Smiths - Meat Is Murder, The Dead Kennedys - Frankenchrist

ETA: 1985 btw
    Addict wrote: »
    Best films: Back To The Future, The Goonies.

Best albums: The Smiths - Meat Is Murder, The Dead Kennedys - Frankenchrist

ETA: 1985 btw

I want to be an 85er now :(
    Haven't done a search, but off the top of my head, best film was ET (although Gandhi won the Oscar that year :p ) and the song that was number one the week I was born was Come On Eileen :thumb:
    I also have to give an honorable mention to The Snowman which also aired for the first time in 1982... and I love it :D:heart:
    Flight of the Navigator!!!!

I used to love that film!!

:D
    RaggyDoll wrote: »
    I used to love that film!!

:D

Used to? Shame on you :p
    Used to? Shame on you :p

Haha, I did think that when I said it.

It was more in a cos its never on now kind of way.
    *checks on IMDB*

Brazil & Back to the Future I suppose :chin: ('85) I don't really recall seeing many of them.

edit: ooh, and the Goonies as addict said, of course!
    From the year I was born the best film might have been The Sound Of Music whilst the top album might have been either Help! or Rubber Soul by the Beatles.
    There is a surprising amount of ok-good films from '85, more than I'd thought anyway.

My favourite is My Beautiful Laundrette but honourable mentions have to go to: Back to the Future, The Boys Next Door, The Colour Purple, The Goonies, Return to Oz, Rocky IV, Santa Claus: The Movie, Teen Wolf, To Live and Die in LA.

As for albums, I guess it'd be cheating to say Dylan's Biograph (definitely my favourite musical event of '85, though) so I'll say Dare to Be Stupid by "Weird Al" Yankovic. You can't go wrong with "Yoda" and "Like a Surgeon" :heart:
    Films: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Chariots of Fire, The Fox and the Hound and Mad Max 2 :thumb:

Albums: Pink Floyd's The Wall pretty much shat all over all the rest. Although the Rolling Stones, Queen and the Bee Gees gave it a good go.

1981, btw.