Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Car Tax

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just tried to tax my car online, and it came up that they couldn't trace my MOT certificate (or something along those lines).

My car does have MOT on it - I'm looking at the certificate now! - and its one of those new electronic MOT certificates (or whatever... I really have no idea about it). But basically, it's not letting me do it online because of not being able to trace it on their database or something. It says if the problem persists go back to the person who did the MOT, but I have no idea who that was, I didn't own the car then, and according to the address it's in Coventry (a fair walk from here, seeing as I can't even drive the damn car I'm having so much trouble with)

My only reason I can think of for it not working is that my MOT runs out soon-ish (beginning of March) but surely that shouldn't be an issue when I'm wanting to tax my car by the 28th of Feb?

Comments

• Options
    You have to have a certain amount of time left on your mot i think.
  • Options
    It's possible that the system for getting the MOTs electronically registered wasn't established at that time for your place. I'd just take the certificate and whatnot to the post office instead.
  • Options
    If the MOT isn't in your name then that could be too difficult for their system to manage.

The online thing is just a pain, if you've got your documents take em to the post office, it's easy peasy, you get the disk straight away and it's often cheaper (depending on how you pay).