Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Passports

How long do they take to come through?

My friends are wanting me to go on holiday with them on the 3rd April for a week but I don't know if I'd get a passport in time?

Also, where do you get them from and how much do they cost?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yeah, I'm looking on there. Its saying you can get it in 3 weeks though.

Its all confusing me :(

ETA: Rach - do you know where we can get cheap flights? Thats all we have gotta pay for as my friend's Mum owns an apartment there.
    Tenerife.

We are thinking of going Tuesday 3rd April - Tuesday 10th April.

Its the Easter holidays.
    The last two times I got passports (within a year of each other as the first was stolen) they came back within two weeks, so I'd be confident about yours coming back by April if you get it in soon. Think it's about £50 now...
    It's £66 for a new passport :crazyeyes
    Adult one is £66, just done the forms for mine. If you do it now, you should get it back in time, but do do it NOW. The usual turn around is about 3 weeks, but they can be slow for no apparent reason.

You pick up a form from the post office (get a couple in case you screw one up) and then fill it in like the instructions tell you to. If you've had a passport before, or you have British parents and were born in the UK it's pretty simple. If you don't, it gets a bit more tricky.
    Isn't it also faster if you take it to the post office - then you pay an extra £2 they check it for you and send it off - or umm something - thats what I did last time I got a passport but it was a while ago - I think i got it back within a week - but that was also super speedy.
    Nah it's an extra £4 and it's not necessarily any quicker, it only means it's less likely to get bounced back because you got the form wrong.
    You can get an emergancy one in like an hour.

Well I did anyway.. but I was at the British Consulate in New York and was flying home that evening and I'd lost it.
    You now have to get your paspsort checked at the post office which saves time by clearing any errors. If you pay a bit more you can get it back within a week but at this time of year, you'll get it back usually within 2 weeks. It's always best to do it ASAP though.
    My friend sent hers of 2 weeks ago and got it back within 7 days.
    Take it to the post office they will check it over for you for a small fee, saves them sending you the form back because you've done something wrong.

And to answer your other question, go into a main post office and they will give you the forms. :thumb:
    Glittery wrote: »
    It's £66 for a new passport :crazyeyes

What?!?!?!?!?! :shocking:

I didn't realise it had gone up by so much.. I'm sure mine was £40 something a couple of years ago. I'm off to lock mine up in a safe place now!
    You can book and appointment and go to the office but it's in Victoria and costs a small fortune to get one within a week.
    You can go to your local office and book a fast-track passport, which is guaranteed to come back in a week. It does cost more money, but its worth it, I did it when I needed the passport for my honeymoon.

The normal service usually takes about three weeks, so you should be fine with that, unless its your first passport, in which case you have to have a personal appointment anyway.
    Kermit wrote: »
    The normal service usually takes about three weeks, so you should be fine with that, unless its your first passport, in which case you have to have a personal appointment anyway.

Not yet you don't.
    Thanks for everyone's replies guys.

Holiday is confirmed for first week of April. Proper excited :hyper: Just gotta sort flights out at end of week when everyone has the cash.

I'm gonna do the whole 'Check & Send' thing. Does anyone know how much extra it costs to do that?

Gonna pop down to my post office after my lecturer fills out his part of the form on Monday/Tuesday :D

I'm gonna do the whole 'Check & Send' thing. Does anyone know how much extra it costs to do that?

It's 73 pound in total for the passport+check and send, and you should getit back within 2 weeks :thumb: Also if it's your first passport you need a FULL birth certificate to send off with the application.
    It's £66 without the post office check and send, personally i think it's worth the few extra quids, saves them sending you the form back and delaying the process.
    Yeah the 1st time check isn't until April http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6370627.stm
    Annnd i've just remembered, if you were on a parents passport when you were younger, you will need to send that passport off with your application aswell. :thumb:

Talk about bloody faff i know.
    ruby_soho wrote: »
    Annnd i've just remembered, if you were on a parents passport when you were younger, you will need to send that passport off with your application aswell. :thumb:

Talk about bloody faff i know.
    Really? I didn't
    VinylVicky wrote: »
    Really? I didn't

Yeah, I don't know if it is a newish thing, but i had to.
    I don't know if I was on my parent's passports. I'm assuming I was for a short while.

I've only ever been abroad twice and the last time I went, I had my own passport. I was far too young the last time I went to even remember.

I've got my child's passport that ran out 2 years ago. I'm going to send that off.

URGH. It aint half costly. I've just had some photos done and they ended up costing me £8 because the stupid machine chopped the top of my head off!

Went to Max Speilman to get them done professionally and I have white bits all over my face! I look awful!
    I've only ever been abroad twice and the last time I went, I had my own passport. I was far too young the last time I went to even remember.

Yeah i think if you have had your own passport then you don't need to send your parents off, i was on my mums so my passport was technically my first passport of my own, that might have been why. If you go into a main post office they are really helpfull and tell you what you need.

So where you going on holiday then :thumb:
    I'm going to Tenerife.

My mate's Mum owns an apartment there so she's nicely letting us stay there for a week. We are going for my friend's birthday.

Should be good. I'm proper excited as I haven't been on holiday since I was 16 and that was to Blackpool with my mates! :rolleyes:

Also, I've only ever been abroad twice, only once that I can remember so I'm looking forward to it although I'm not looking forward to flying :nervous:
    Thanks Rach :)

I've sent you a PM.