Home Politics & Debate
Ongoing maintenance - the boards are undergoing some ongoing, intermittent maintenance. Pages might load slightly slower than usual and there may be very short periods where the boards are offline.

Harley Street landlords ban abortion clinics

1235»

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    You can personally reject it blagsta, I accept that, but it can't actually be written off.

    Seeing as it can't be proved one way or the other, its a bit of a moot point.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I disagree, I think it's a fundamental part of the discussion of absolute/relativistic morality.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    I disagree, I think it's a fundamental part of the discussion of absolute/relativistic morality.

    Only if you believe in such an absurdity as a paternalistic God.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Trying to talk sense into a religious person is like trying to talk sense to a brick wall.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blagsta wrote: »
    They don't "have to". However, it's a nice illustration of the problems of property rights.

    Aladdin seems to think otherwise.

    It's an illustration of the problems of life. No matter how you hold property- landlords, owner-occupiers, socialist co-operatives- people will only allow people with their views to use their land.

    I don't agree with landlords generally, but in this instance the same problems would be there regardless.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blagsta wrote: »
    However, it's a nice illustration of the problems of property rights.

    Indeed it is. Until all land and property is common then situations like this would occur.

    Never gonna happen though.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit wrote: »
    It's an illustration of the problems of life. No matter how you hold property- landlords, owner-occupiers, socialist co-operatives- people will only allow people with their views to use their land.

    I don't agree with landlords generally, but in this instance the same problems would be there regardless.

    :thumb:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blagsta wrote: »
    Not all opinions are equally valid.

    On what basis do you claim that?
    So ethics/morality/whatever you want to call it, are both relative and absolute - relative to where you stand, however this does not mean that I will defend racist friends because "they're entitled to their beliefs" - of course they are, but those beliefs are wrong and I'm entitled to not be friends with someone because of that.

    If that makes any sense. :confused:

    Not really. You believe those opinions to be wrong but your view is not an absolute.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    On what basis do you claim that?

    Well they're not are they? My GP's opinion on medical matters holds more weight than mine, for example.
    Not really. You believe those opinions to be wrong but your view is not an absolute.


    Yes, that's what I said.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit wrote: »
    Aladdin seems to think otherwise.

    It's an illustration of the problems of life. No matter how you hold property- landlords, owner-occupiers, socialist co-operatives- people will only allow people with their views to use their land.

    I don't agree with landlords generally, but in this instance the same problems would be there regardless.

    In the example of a socialist co-operative, at least it would be the local community making decisions, not an absentee landlord.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    All opinions are equally valid - not all are equally informed.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    All opinions are equally valid - not all are equally informed.

    No, not all opinions are equally valid, as I have already shown.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blagsta wrote: »
    No, not all opinions are equally valid, as I have already shown.

    No all you've shown is that GP's opinions are likely to be better informed, nothing to do with validity. He is more likely to be right, but there's no guarantee of it...
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yes, his opinions are more valid.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'll give you a real life example. When i was little I broke my leg, eventually after several visits the Doc said that next time I came I wouldn't have to be examined and they could take my pot straight off. My mum's opinion, not based on medical knowledge, but concern for her little boy was that surely they should examine me first just to be sure. My Mum's opinion was equally as valid as the Doctors

    The upshot was they didn't examine and when the pot was taken off i couldn't walk. Another Doctor friend of the family giving an informed opinion that children who have broken bones often suffer from a temporary lack of confidence about walking and a bit of exercise would cure that. It was only after I was unable to walk without squealing in pain and my ankle had ballooned to the size of a train that he then gave a revised informed opinion that my leg was still broken.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    and, what?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blagsta wrote: »
    and, what?


    .. and it debunks your point. The Doctor's opinion wasn't more valid and was, in fact, incorrect - this happens regularly on matters where people take your stance and presume that a more informed view is therefore more valid.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    No it doesn't. My point was a general one, not a specific one. I could just as easily have made the point about a mechanics opinion about what is wrong with my car is more valid than my mum's opinion, or Stephen Hawking's opinion on black holes is more valid than mine. etc.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It may be more informed but it isn't necessarily more valid.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    How do you work that out then?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Stephen Hawking knows more about quantum physics than I, and is more likely to be correct, but it doesn't mean he's always correct and it doesn't mean everything he says is valid.

    It's not difficult to work out. If a doctor says my growth is benign, and I say its cancer, he's more likely to be right but his opinion is no more valid (especially if his opinion turns out to be wrong).
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Dunno 'bout you mate, but I know who I trust more with medical issues. It ain't Gillian McKeith, that's for sure.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    And that's why Roy Meadow did what he did *shrug*
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit wrote: »
    And that's why Roy Meadow did what he did *shrug*

    ... exactly, put forward as an "expert" and look what happened...
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    So, you can find an example of where someone gets something wrong. So? No one ever claimed people are infallible. However, my point still stands - not all opinions are equally valid.

    val·id /ˈvælɪd/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[val-id] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
    –adjective 1. sound; just; well-founded: a valid reason.
    2. producing the desired result; effective: a valid antidote for gloom.
    3. having force, weight, or cogency; authoritative.
    4. legally sound, effective, or binding; having legal force: a valid contract.
    5. Logic. (of an argument) so constructed that if the premises are jointly asserted, the conclusion cannot be denied without contradiction.
    6. Archaic. robust; well; healthy.

    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/valid
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thanks for the defintion, it goes a long way to showing exactly what MoK and I mean. Such a shame you can't grasp a simple concept.

    A doctor's opinion is more likely to be correct (valid) than mine, but that doesn't mean his opinion is by default more valid. It means he has more information at his disposal to make his decision. Always assuming that a more informed opinion is more valid allows people like Roy Meadow to get away with what he did to those women.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You seem unable to grasp what valid means.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    No, I've grasped it fine, thanks. I've got excellent English results.

    :thumb:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You agree with me then.

    Glad we got that one settled.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I can`t help thinking that the verb "to be" causes lots of (unnecessary ?)arguments.

    Do you think that thought IS valid ?

    Or does it just seem that way to me ?
Sign In or Register to comment.