Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

UK is accused of failing children

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6359363.stm

Could our high incidents of teenage pregnancies be part of the issue? We literally have children bringing up children ...

This might make things very difficult for people to get out of the poverty trap - even though they want to. Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    In my opinion, young people who are living in relative poverty think of getting pregnant as an easy way out. Council flat, benefits... cushty. I can name at least 3 people who I know who have done that, and I live in a fairly affluent area. I also think that abortions are so accessible now that they are almost a quick fix. My mum works at a doctors practice and says that the number of young girls who they see time after time for abortions is incredible. Whilst abortions may be appropriate in certain circumstances, I think that giving abortions repeatedly to the same woman is a mistake. Why is there not better education on contraception for such people? Personally I think that rather than making abortion more accessible, sex education and contraception should be available in schools for children at a younger age than it is available now.
  • Options
    I think that it was summed up well in that report "dog eat dog".
  • Options
    UK child poverty has doubled since 1979

what is "poverty?" Isn't it all relative? I find it hard to believe that true poverty in terms of going hungry and cold, exists in this country with regards to children. And if it does, it is down to the parents not spending money wisely.

Children living in homes earning less than half national average wage - 16%

What is the national average wage?

Children rating their peers as "kind and helpful" - 43%

This just seems silly.

Families eating a meal together "several times" a week - 66%

In an ideal world families would eat together often. But with parents working long hours, it's hard.

Children who admit being drunk on two or more occasions - 31%

Is a child someone under 16? I wouldn't say that was unusual. Most kids experiment.
  • Options
    Dobbin, you're talking shite, mate. Benefits are not an "easy way out", and if someone considers going on benefits to be the best they can do then its no wonder they have no pride in themselves or where they live. The fact that someone's ambitions are restricted so much is a disaster in itself.

The problems we have are all down to the idea of "dog eat dog"- to be someone you have to earn more money and screw more people than anyone else. Working together, being caring and sharing, is seen as a negative trait. The only surprise is that its only one third of children who have been bullied in the last 6 months.

If you have a society which values instant gratification and denigrates those who don't have huge resources then you'll have a damaged society. It isn't rocket science.

There are still a lot of children in absolute poverty, and it has little or nothing to do with the parents. A society that leaves children homeless- and not through choice- is a society that is rotten. A society that bullies parents into borrowing more than they can afford, and the bullying them to repay it, is a society that's rotten to the core. It's no wonder parents pay debt that they can't afford when the debt collection agencies threaten them with prison- and they don't know that it's bullshit.

The long-hours society we have is not excusable either.

The fact that people blame the parents shows just what a rotten society we have become. If a child turns out bad it is our fault as much as anyone else's.
  • Options
    Pretty much what Kermit said.

It's sad because it costs so much to live in the UK that parents have to work one, often two jobs in order to put food on the table and this leaves less time to spend with the kids and show them they're loved. We live in a high stress 24 hour society and this rubs off on children. We are constantly in debt, we are not providing things for children to do so they end up walking the streets and causing trouble, then in many cases, going back home to a family who are stressed out about money.

The fact is that we're screwing our kids up and when they react in the best way they know how, be it hyper and begging for attention in the supermarket, hanging around on street corners, using drugs or getting pregnant we label them as wastes of time, as something to fear, as horrible little brats who don't know how good they've got it. We slap ASBOs on them, we write letters to the newspaper and complain about how they scare older generations.

I'm not excusing all delinquent behaviour, but instead of condemning them why aren't we trying to help them? Why aren't we making donations, or volunteering with youth groups? Why aren't we organising visits from firemen or footballers to give talks and something for these children to aspire to be? Why aren't we providing more accessible councilling for families who have problems?

I think we treat our children too much like little adults and that both children, the elderly, people with disabilities and the vulnerable should be properly looked after. When you're little, your experiences are what shapes you as a person, it shouldn't just be the parent's responsibility to give somebody a good childhood, but the whole community itself. We should all be chipping in the best we can.
  • Options
    I actually read a book suggesting that legalised abortions are a key factor in the reduction of crime, but its a slightly controversial idea.

As for what we can do, well there is a strong corelation between societies which look after their people and how high up you are on the list. Investing properly in public services and housing would save us loads in terms of public health and crime.
  • Options
    Dobbin wrote: »
    In my opinion, young people who are living in relative poverty think of getting pregnant as an easy way out. Council flat, benefits... cushty.

I think its more than that. It's about people who see no other way of gaining self-validation. No education, no work prospects, shitty housing, feeling shit...having a kid that loves you and you love unconditionally is a way of at least having something.
  • Options
    That's exactly it, Blagsta. When the best you can ever hope to achieve, even if you work really really hard, is a checkout job at Tesco, its no wonder that people see having children as the only way of actually meaning something in life. It's been proven time and time again that raising educational achievement and raising ambition and self-esteem lowers prosmiscuity and lowers anti-social behaviour.

I think this whole report is a bit bears shitting in woods, but it raises important points. And those who "blame the parents" are the ones who create the atmosphere in which these problems originate and fester.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    So giving abortions repeatedly to the same woman is wrong, yet you want them more accessible?

She actually said "I think that rather than making abortion more accessible, sex education and contraception should be available in schools for children at a younger age than it is available now."

Everybody blames the poor sex education at school, but how many 14, 15 year olds honestly do not know that if you have sex without a condom (or other protection) you risk getting pregnant? Surely not the numbers that are getting pregnant!

Is it the poor level of sex education in school to blame still after they have had one abortion, they find theirselves in the same situation 6 months later?

I'm not saying that the current sex education scheme in schools is ideal, in some i guess it's far from it, but this isn't a question of teaching them during which days of their cycle they are most fertile, and how long Sperm lives for, and as such how to equate when it is safe to have sex.

It's the very basic. Sex without protection = a possibility of becoming pregnant

Millions of young adults manage to realise this, even with the pathetic level of sex ed in schools, even my friends and i grasped this concept at around 11/12 without having to go through 3 abortions before it clicked...

Anyway, Im digressing from the main question!
  • Options
    Why are we focusing on teenagers here? The use of contraception is as low, if not lower, with older women who are not in long-term relationships.

There are many reasons why people do not use contraception. Their boyfriend pressurises them into not using it, for instance.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    Why are we focusing on teenagers here? The use of contraception is as low, if not lower, with older women who are not in long-term relationships.

There are many reasons why people do not use contraception. Their boyfriend pressurises them into not using it, for instance.

Do you mean contraception generally or just condoms?
  • Options
    The use of condoms, mostly, but both really.

Certainly divorced women over the age of 35 are one of the most at-risk groups from STIs.
  • Options
    I've no idea what the real state of children's happiness is. I'm not even sure that it's possible to measure such an arbitrary value. What I do know is that this study should be viewed extremely sceptically. Parts of it were based on a quantitative questionnaire, just about the worst way of collating data possible. Large parts of it are based on trying to ascertain subjective information directly from children, rather than using any factual data. A lot of it is re-hashed old data ranging from 2001 to 2003.
  • Options
    The use of condoms, mostly, but both really.

Certainly divorced women over the age of 35 are one of the most at-risk groups from STIs.

:yes:

I don't know about women specifically but I've been to health meetings and a high proportion of STIs are in middle aged people.

But that's off topic really.
  • Options
    if this wasn't such an expensive country to live in, then we wouldn't have these problems. I'm no expert but it certainly seems that we're getting taxed more and more and interest rates keep rising, yet wages are remaining fairly static from what i can see?
    Being bought up in a money stressed family is never going to do the kids any favours. How many kids were actually surveyed though?
  • Options
    To kermit: I don't think that benefits are the easy way out. However, I think there are people around who do, which was more to my point. The example I was going about was a couple of girls I was at school with who had made the choice to try and get pregnant because they felt that having a baby at their age would result in them being given a flat and benefits, allowing them to move out and live their own life. They were, of course, wrong and severely misinformed. I'd like to make it quite clear that I don't consider life on benefits to be the easy way out, and please accept my apologies for any offence I may have caused.
  • Options
    To kermit: I don't think that benefits are the easy way out. However, I think there are people around who do, which was more to my point. The example I was going about was a couple of girls I was at school with who had made the choice to try and get pregnant because they felt that having a baby at their age would result in them being given a flat and benefits, allowing them to move out and live their own life. They were, of course, wrong and severely misinformed. I'd like to make it quite clear that I don't consider life on benefits to be the easy way out, and please accept my apologies for any offence I may have caused.
    yeah but tbh, staying at home where you get loads of help from everyone else while you can still be a teenager is far more attractive than being put into a dingy flat on your own with a baby. I know it's not the case for some but for most it seems to be.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    yeah but tbh, staying at home where you get loads of help from everyone else while you can still be a teenager is far more attractive than being put into a dingy flat on your own with a baby. I know it's not the case for some but for most it seems to be.

Tell that to the moody teenagers who are rebelling against their parents and just want to get out....

You are quite right that it's more attractive to be at home where living is free etc but people don't always see that. Kids these days don't know they're born ;)
  • Options
    Tell that to the moody teenagers who are rebelling against their parents and just want to get out....

You are quite right that it's more attractive to be at home where living is free etc but people don't always see that. Kids these days don't know they're born ;)

yeah, and as soon as everyone calms down and the baby arrives, they go rushing back. I don't think that teens have babies to rebel, i think alot of it is carelessness and ignorance. I'm pretty sure that the number of teens having abortions is higher than those having babies?
  • Options
    I really don't know. Guess you must be right. You never really hear the success stories about teenagers having babies. There must be quite a few out there.
  • Options
    I really don't know. Guess you must be right. You never really hear the success stories about teenagers having babies. There must be quite a few out there.

there are pleanty i'm sure - but becoming a mother at 15 seems to automatically make you a bad one. Maybe, because chances are they're not mature enough, but you still hear of pleanty child abuse cases by 'regular' parents. I still don't think becoming a mother so young is a good idea though, just to clear that up.
  • Options
    there are pleanty i'm sure - but becoming a mother at 15 seems to automatically make you a bad one. Maybe, because chances are they're not mature enough, but you still hear of pleanty child abuse cases by 'regular' parents. I still don't think becoming a mother so young is a good idea though, just to clear that up.

I agree that there are young mothers out there who have children for the right reasons. They must have a terrible time dealing with stereotypes.

On a similar subject, did anyone read in the paper about the couple sent to prison for abusing their handicapped daughter? I think I'm right in saying they got 10 years each... and if what the papers said is true then the things they did to that little girl deserves life.
  • Options
    To kermit: I don't think that benefits are the easy way out. However, I think there are people around who do, which was more to my point.

And the fact that people consider having a baby and living on benefits to be an ambition says a lot about the society we live in.
  • Options
    And the fact that people consider having a baby and living on benefits to be an ambition says a lot about the society we live in.

:yes: and as i said in my post, i sincerely hope that I didn't cause any offence because i certainly didn't intend to.
  • Options
    if this wasn't such an expensive country to live in, then we wouldn't have these problems. I'm no expert but it certainly seems that we're getting taxed more and more and interest rates keep rising, yet wages are remaining fairly static from what i can see?
    Not really. Minimum wage has gone up fairly consistantly under this government.

Anyway, I think it speaks volumes that a member of the cabinet decided to take her child out of state education because they couldn't cater to the child's special needs. Then when you consider that something like 80% of people in prison have a recognised behavioural disorder (or mental health disorder, I can't remember which) it's not surprising that these people ended up in prison, when they were educated in a system that lacked the facilities or expertise to deal with their particular difficulties. There's so much emphasis the percentage of students getting A* to C grades, that we are forgetting about the people that could get a few C's if they were given the right support, but instead get frustrated with education and end up leaving with nothing. Without trying to spout too much of a generalisation, these are the people that are likely to end up as petty criminals in their teens, and persistant reoffenders in the future.

On the issue of sex education, I think we've got it wrong in this country. There is far too much emphasis on the physical act, and not enough on the emotional and decision making side of things - the type of thing that other European countries take into consideration. We need to get the message across to young people to respect their own bodies, respect their own right to make a decision regarding it, and not to bow to the pressure from other people to do things they're not comfortable in doing.
  • Options

As I said - its not really about the benefits, it goes way deeper.
  • Options
    Not really. Minimum wage has gone up fairly consistantly under this government.

i meant are wages keeping up with tax and interest?
  • Options
    Anyway, I think it speaks volumes that a member of the cabinet decided to take her child out of state education because they couldn't cater to the child's special needs.

Both the school and the LEA reckon otherwise.

Not that I think a cabinet minister of New Labour, and a member of Opus Dei, would be a liar or anything...
  • Options
    Both the school and the LEA reckon otherwise.

Not that I think a cabinet minister of New Labour, and a member of Opus Dei, would be a liar or anything...

I imagine that the very worst cases probably do get special treatment and are allowed to be moved to private education instead (which may have been the case in this instance, we don't know), but I would reckon that the vast majority of children with special needs have to put up with substandard education.
  • Options
    The problems we have are all down to the idea of "dog eat dog"- to be someone you have to earn more money and screw more people than anyone else. Working together, being caring and sharing, is seen as a negative trait.

I realise you're being pretty general but I would not say that is unique to Britain and the US (the US being second from bottom on this table). Although, I would not say this 'dog eat dog' culture you speak of is particularly applicable to France yet France also scores badly.
    The long-hours society we have is not excusable either.

Although, in spite of our long hours society in terms of productivity we lag well behind most comparable countries.

I think most of the problems exposed by these findings would be solved with raising standards in education. Comprehensive one-size-fits all education has failed and it's no coincidence that two countries with it, Britain and the US have came at the bottom. We need decent schools specialising in academic pursuits and others specialising in vocational pursuits - this exists in Germany, and in Germany the latter is not viewed as inferior. I think something like that would help a lot in improving skills which is what is badly needed. A lot less people in Germany leave school without any qualifications or skills. The amount of people who leave school with no GCSEs in Britain is scandalous.