Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Favourite names

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    lipsy wrote: »
    Tamara and Natasha for a girl. I was nearly called Natasha damnit!

:D tis a good name. My dad wanted to call me Ruth - very glad my mum put her foot down and went with Natasha instead!

For girls - Erin, Willow, Zoe and Emma

For boys - Ben, Max or Sebastian

I've always wondered how you can choose a name for your child before you've met them - there was a girl I used to teach salsa to called Grace and she was the least graceful heifer I've ever met.... wishful thinking on the part of her parents? I think so.
    :D tis a good name. My dad wanted to call me Ruth - very glad my mum put her foot down and went with Natasha instead!

For girls - Erin, Willow, Zoe and Emma

For boys - Ben, Max or Sebastian

I've always wondered how you can choose a name for your child before you've met them - there was a girl I used to teach salsa to called Grace and she was the least graceful heifer I've ever met.... wishful thinking on the part of her parents? I think so.
    I quite like Willow too.
    lea_uk wrote: »
    I quite like Willow too.

It reminds me of a long haired blonde girl or of course a willow tree.
    How do you pronounce niamh, i like that one.

For girls... I would quite like to call one of my kids Thalia Grace (thalia is one of the three graces) (and talia is not my real name). I like Sophia (it means knowledge) I quite like Helena, Cassis, Phoebe and Naomi. All about the greeks me :)

For boys, Theo, Laurent, Joshua, Elijah (Holy one), or Sohail (Star)
    It's pronounced Neev.
    squeal wrote: »
    It reminds me of a long haired blonde girl or of course a willow tree.

Reminds me of:

WILLOW_FLR.jpg
    My Mum wanted to call me Erin or Lauren. My Dad won with Claire Louise, though. Saying that, they must have had a bit of a tiff over it because I was called 'Baby Surname' for a week on my hospital tags, haha. Obviously not 'Surname', but my real surname. ;)

As for names I like... I think I'm going to wait until I have any kids to decide what I want to call them.
    Erin Louise for my 1st daughter and Elliot James (my mate named her son that) for my 1st son hopefully they'll go with the surname hehe.
    Ok, am I the only one who thinks that favourite names and things to call potential children aren't necessarily the same thing?
    Ok, am I the only one who thinks that favourite names and things to call potential children aren't necessarily the same thing?

I sort of see a link - the names which are my favourites which I think are lovely I would name my children. Because I think they are lovely names lol
    I guess so. Then again, some of the names I like I associate with other things-I love the name Rowan, for example, but would forever associate it with a friend of mine that I'd quite like to screw which isn't good for any potential children.

That, and I can appreciate that some names are lovely, but would never call my child it because its too common, or sounds crap with my surname, things like that.

Well, to be honest I don't sit and think about my favourite names, because it's a bit of a shit and boring thing to think about. BUT If I was pregnant, then obviously I would think about my favourite names because I would soon be choosing one for a little babba!
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster

They aren't the same thing.

For example, some of my favourite names are names that David doesn't like so we wouldn't call our children them. I love biblical names - Luke, Elijah, Samuel etc etc but David doesn't. It varies.
    I like Ivy as well.
    I agree with Briggi, names should be different if possible. Who wants to be the same as everyone else.

So are you for or against naming your child Audo Science :p
    I love the name Jarvis for a boy and Scarlett for a girl
    briggi wrote: »
    Girls - Ingrid, Alva, Cecilia, Meredith, Penelope, Meabh, Caroline, Iona, Áine, Nenagh, Lorelei, Astrid, Vivienne, Marit, Agnes.

Boys - Stellan, Noah, Quinn, Vincent, Ivan, Ingo, Gregor, Hamish, Alistair, Edwin, Néall

I think that the sake of all concerned all naming rights should be revoked from you forthwith :p

I like the name Henrietta, but I would never be sadistic enough to call my daughter that. I think we're going to go with a Gaelic name if we have a daughter (we like the names Eiofe and Aithne), and thankfully our surname is Irish so we wouldn't look like pricks for doing it. Boys names are going to be more trouble, the names I like are either taken, or hackneyed (I like Jack and Dylan, but so does every other twat :mad: )
    My cuz is called Meredith. She know gets called Mer and Meredy as nicknames. I really like her name!
    I like Genovieve.
    Kermit wrote: »
    I think that the sake of all concerned all naming rights should be revoked from you forthwith :p

You cheeky nowt! Anyway, if you think those are bad then you should hear some of the vetoed gems we've come up with in our brainstorming sessions.

Henrietta is awful though, by anyone's standards. Pretty much all etta/etty names are heinous except for Arrietty which can't be all bad as it is a Borrowers name :razz:

Genevieve is cute, and would fit our surname requirements... :chin: :p
    Girls
    Elise, Annette, Indy, Carmen, Alice, Katie, Star, Seren, Kit, Paris, Hazel, Amber

Boys
    Jake, Russ, Leo, Seth, Dai, Dafydd.
    Namaste wrote: »
    Dafydd.
    Has Little Britain not ruined that for you?

My sister's middle name is Amber, and every fucker that's had a kid in our family has had that as one of their names recently. For girls: Melissa, Lucy, Natalie, Faye, Nicola, Louise, Amy. And for boys: Nathan, Josh, Mark, Stuart. Basically anything that sounds good on a kid, but you could imagine a 20 year old with the same name without it sounding stupid. And nothing that's different for the sake of it. And nothing which will damn them to a lifetime of having to spell it out for people, because their parents wanted it to be original.

Ooh, speaking of welsh names, I think Rhys is pretty cool, but I don't think English people can get away with it.
    i kinda like the name seth
    Well, clearly my name rocks. As do my brother's and sister's. AoifeNiamh'n'Eoin - say it really fast.

As for my (potential) little uns? I do love the name Odhran - but my friend has claimed it. As for a girl? Not sure yet. I do like Doireann. Heard of a little baba called Muireann recently - I'm debating the pros and cons of it. Naoise is nice - although it's a bit flowery for a boy's name, and I'd feel a right tic giving a girl a boy's name. Even though it'd suit better.

Like Yerascrote, I'd probably go for all Irish named childer. Purely because that's the way my parents did it and I like the tradition. And I could send them all to a Gaelscoil and make them have horribly long translated surnames too! Mwahaha. But would have to try and not make them sound like poncy, posh kids with their Fiachras and their Clionas.

did someone cite Nenagh as a name? For a girl or a boy? That's a town in Tipperary! Not a name!

I've rambled too much......
    eefs wrote: »
    Wedid someone cite Nenagh as a name? For a girl or a boy? That's a town in Tipperary! Not a name!

Yeah me, I am aware of the fact - that's why I like it. I rather like the name Nina but not-so-much the spelling. Sorted :thumb:

I have had some new name inspiration today, but I think I will keep it secret for now so I don't seem completely fickle and flighty :)
    briggi wrote: »
    Yeah me, I am aware of the fact - that's why I like it. I rather like the name Nina but not-so-much the spelling. Sorted :thumb:

I have had some new name inspiration today, but I think I will keep it secret for now so I don't seem completely fickle and flighty :)
    Ý'know I never even copped it's a different spelling of Nina. Makes sense now. The boredom has broken my brain. :(
    Iona or Mairi for a girl, Campbell or Callum for a boy.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    Iona or Mairi for a girl, Campbell or Callum for a boy.

I love Mairi for a girl. I prefer it spelt Mhairi (or even pronounced with the V). However, too many people would just say Marie and I don't like it as much :(

I also like Catriona. Spelt the gaelic way. However, too many people pronounce this Cat-ree-o-na. I don't like that either.

I also like Catriona. Spelt the gaelic way. However, too many people pronounce this Cat-ree-o-na. I don't like that either.

..... :blush: How is it pronounced then?