Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Favourite names

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The thing with some of favourite names is that they have been ruined by some of the kids that I teach. For example, Samuel is a name that I really like, but one of the kids at school is Samuel and he is a little shite.

I think most people who work with children feel the same about certain names because of the reason you said.

Girl - Xanthe
    Boy - Harley, Adam
    Jazza wrote: »
    Boy: Matthew,

Girl: Jane,

:thumb:

i think lucy, emily and faye are lovely names :)
    1983 wrote: »

ETA - More girly names! Lucinda

i :heart: you!!!!
    Gosh, loads of people like Imogen. I've loved that name since I was like 7, any daughter of mine is stuck with it, whether it suits her or not :D

Other than Imogen, girls wise it'd probably be Paige, Jade or Rebecca

Boys, probably Paul, Aaron, or Luke. I used to say Ben as well, but since we named our dog that I can never hear it without thinking of something barking. :)
    briggi wrote: »
    Very relevant topic for me at the moment.

Girls - Ingrid, Alva, Cecilia, Meredith, Penelope, Meabh, Caroline, Iona, Áine, Nenagh, Lorelei, Astrid, Vivienne, Marit, Agnes.

how do you pronounce them, i'm lame! ;(
    omg hi wrote: »
    :thumb:

i think lucy, emily and faye are lovely names :)

Woohoo! :razz:
    Nikki* wrote: »
    Gosh, loads of people like Imogen. I've loved that name since I was like 7, any daughter of mine is stuck with it, whether it suits her or not :D

Other than Imogen, girls wise it'd probably be Paige, Jade or Rebecca

Boys, probably Paul, Aaron, or Luke. I used to say Ben as well, but since we named our dog that I can never hear it without thinking of something barking. :)

Aww I like Paige too. :heart:
    I like Evie, Ava, Cadee, Kayla or Millie for a girl.

Caden or Harry for a boy :D
    Tamara and Natasha for a girl. I was nearly called Natasha damnit!

Evan and Josh for boys.
    Just remembered I like Ffion as well :)

:yes:

Girls: Ceinwen, Angharad, Carys, Eilidh (sp?)

Boys: Iestyn, Gethin, Ellis or Elliot
    Girls
    lily (or lilian, if you must)
    megan
    hayley

Guys
    felix
    josh

more to come :-P
    lea_uk wrote: »
    What are your favourite names?
    Mine are..

Girls
    Erin

Shudder
    Shudder
    What's wrong with Erin?
    lea_uk wrote: »
    What's wrong with Erin?

Reminds Me of Erin Boag and Erin Brockovich, two horrible names all-round. :yuck:
    Reminds Me of Erin Boag and Erin Brockovich, two horrible names all-round. :yuck:

And Demi Moores character in Striptease :p
    Isabel
    Raphael
    Brig ... seriously that's taking the Neighbours thing a bit far :lol:
    clicky

:D I hadn't even thought of that!
    how do you pronounce them, i'm lame! ;(

What, all of them?

Ingrid - In-grid
    Alva - AL-vah
    Cecilia - Sess-seel-yah (I really like this but I hate the meaning :()
    Meredith - Mer-a-dith
    Penelope - Pen-el-opie
    Méabh - Mave
    Caroline - I guess you know that'un :razz:
    Iona - I-o-na
    Áine - Awn-yuh
    Nenagh - Neena
    Lorelei - Lor-a-lie
    Astrid - As-trid
    Vivienne - too easy!
    Marit - Ma-rit
    Agnes - Ag-ness

:)

Ingrid - In-grid
    Alva - AL-vah
    Cecilia - Sess-seel-yah (I really like this but I hate the meaning :()
    Meredith - Mer-a-dith
    Penelope - Pen-el-opie
    Méabh - Mave
    Caroline - I guess you know that'un :razz:
    Iona - I-o-na
    Áine - Awn-yuh
    Nenagh - Neena
    Lorelei - Lor-a-lie
    Astrid - As-trid
    Vivienne - too easy!
    Marit - Ma-rit
    Agnes - Ag-ness

:)

Well i must say you have a very "different" taste in names.
    squeal wrote: »
    Well i must say you have a very "different" taste in names.

Can only be a good thing in my opinion.

At least... anything's better than having little Molly, Chloe, Isabella and Olivia running around the schoolyard with a million others indentically or similarly named :yuck:
    I agree with Briggi, names should be different if possible. Who wants to be the same as everyone else.

At least... anything's better than having little Molly, Chloe, Isabella and Olivia running around the schoolyard with a million others indentically or similarly named :yuck:

Haha Thanks :p yeah it is a good thing that it's different, just not if they get bullied for it. Children can be very nasty.
    Is your name one of those four? :chin: If so it wasn't intentional, but they are the trendiest names off the mark at the mo...

I've thought about bullying potential but names weren't a big target for bullies anyway in my experience. Kids tend to pick on anything so it seems a bit pointless to let some snot-nosed schoolyard brats prevent a kid from having a beautiful, unusual name. They'd only pick on something else, anyway, and it'd be madness to bow to so and so's playground name-calling :thumb:
    Haha Thanks :p yeah it is a good thing that it's different, just not if they get bullied for it. Children can be very nasty.

Kids find loads of other stuff to bully others about these days, names is not important anymore :p

I think Briggi's choice of names are quite unusual. In my opinion a tad old fashioned, but calling a child a boring name like Sarah or Amy, or god forbid Chelsea is a far worse baby naming offence (apologies to anyone called those names :p). I think it's quite cool actually.
    Is your name one of those four? :chin: If so it wasn't intentional, but they are the trendiest names off the mark at the mo...

I've thought about bullying potential but names weren't a big target for bullies anyway in my experience. Kids tend to pick on anything so it seems a bit pointless to let some snot-nosed schoolyard brats prevent a kid from having a beautiful, unusual name. They'd only pick on something else, anyway, and it'd be madness to bow to so and so's playground name-calling :thumb:

Yeah it is :p but it wasn't common at the time i was born and i did go a whole 5 years being the only person at school with that name.

Yeah i think it's usually the last names that are made fun of. But you never know. Anyway if your kid turns out "cool" his/her name won't matter at all.
    Lorelei

Definitely my favourite, young Bridget. :thumb:
    Lacy wrote: »
    I think Briggi's choice of names are quite unusual. In my opinion a tad old fashioned, but calling a child a boring name like Sarah or Amy, or god forbid Chelsea is a far worse baby naming offence (apologies to anyone called those names :p). I think it's quite cool actually.

Heh, thanks I think :p I prefer "traditional" to "old fashioned" ;)

Booby - I think Lorelei is my favourite, too, or close. Stephen is batting for Agnes and Ingrid for girly names though, since they're traditional to his family. I might have to use the power of veto...
    Yeah it is :p but it wasn't common at the time i was born and i did go a whole 5 years being the only person at school with that name.

Which one? If you don't mind saying!

My niece's name is Isabella, and I think it is a gorgeous name standing apart from all the other Isabellas that have popped up recently. It's just a shame that she's going to go to school with seven others in her class, I would like to avoid that if possible! Names are pretty important to identity, at least I've found that :)
    Can only be a good thing in my opinion.

Indeed. At one of the nurseries I did my work placement at, I swear nearly every boy there was either called Jack or Joshua or had some really odd name or didn't spell their name properly... Thankfully, at the one I'm at now, they seem to have normalish names like Adam, Harry & Alexander.
    lipsy wrote: »
    Tamara and Natasha for a girl. I was nearly called Natasha damnit!

Evan and Josh for boys.

Good names !

Evan is one of my middle names and my sons, it's a great name lol. It means Young Warrior - rarr!!
    The thing with some of favourite names is that they have been ruined by some of the kids that I teach. For example, Samuel is a name that I really like, but one of the kids at school is Samuel and he is a little shite.

At the moment, if we have kids, I think we would have a Niamh Rose and an Alexander. But, who knows. I may go off them if I have to teach horrible children with those names!

:yes: I know what you mean. I love the name Theo and Riley but there are two little shites at nursery with them names, horror kids so that puts me of them names!

And I also love Niamh but prefer it spelt Neve and rose is very pretty with it too.
    I also have many many other girls names I adore, I was saying to my mum the other day I don't think my daughter would get a name until she was like 5months old or something, I just wouldn't be able to choose, and then she assured me that "the name just fits when you look at the wee little lass in your arms". All I can say is it better do!

Boys, do like Riley if i can get over the horror at nursery ever otherwise Connor, Ben, Luke, Andrew and many many others. Similiar situation to girls names.