Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Patriotism

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anybody here consider themself a patriot?

If so then why?

If not then why not?

What is patriotism to you?

Comments

• Options
    I dunno, I saw the film 'The Patriot' but I'm still no closer to knowing...

Someone who dies for their country? In that case I don't think I'm a patriot, I believe in humanity spreading beyond nation borders and such.
  • Options
    What is patriotism to you?

Making your country your family. Nothing to do with how many flags a person can put on their car every 4 years.
  • Options
    I am very patriotic about my Irishness yes.

Why? Because I can look at the history, art, literature, culture of my people and have an affinity with that. I also believe that these things have to be preserved and I do my best to do this.
  • Options
    I'd consider myself a patriot. I love my country, I love the principles and values it was founded on, I love the different cultures that make up its social fabric, and I love the land that makes it up.

simple stuff really.
  • Options
    I feel an attatchment to Wales and the UK, but I wouldn't call it patriotism, more "national awareness". I know "who" I am, but being Welsh and British is no better than being Greenlandic, American or Rwandan, it's the situation you find yourself in that defines you.

Basing your life or beliefs around lines on a map, language, religion or an ethnicity just isn't logical. We're all human.
  • Options
    No, I'm not patriotic. My sense of identity is not wholly based around my nationality. I do not believe in "my country, right or wrong". I don't automatically identify with others just because they share the same country of birth. I can have more in common with some people from other countries than I do with some people from the UK. I have more in common with my Turkish colleague than I do with Digby Jones for example.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote: »
    No, I'm not patriotic. My sense of identity is not wholly based around my nationality. I do not believe in "my country, right or wrong". I don't automatically identify with others just because they share the same country of birth. I can have more in common with some people from other countries than I do with some people from the UK. I have more in common with my Turkish colleague than I do with Digby Jones for example.

Who says you have to have more in common with your fellow countryman?

What about sharing something in common with the values, cultue, art etc etc of your country?
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Who says you have to have more in common with your fellow countryman?

Its what patriotism means.
    What about sharing something in common with the values, cultue, art etc etc of your country?

What about it? Patriots do not have the monopoly on that.
  • Options
    What about it? Patriots do not have the monopoly on that.

So what do you call yourself then other than a patriot if you share those values?
  • Options
    Why do I have to call myself anything?
  • Options
    Why do I have to call myself anything?

You don't but it makes things a hell of a lot easier when debating politics.
  • Options
    So you can pigeonhole my opinions?
  • Options
    So you can pigeonhole my opinions?

No because it's a lot easier to see where people stand.
  • Options
    I'd have thought you'd know where I stand by now.
  • Options
    I'd have thought you'd know where I stand by now.

I do. You're one of those people who likes smashing things up and rebelling against authority, yes "anarchists" I think you call them. ;)
  • Options
    I'm not sure what the meaning of patriot is meant to be anyway.

I'm not proud of my nationality any more than I'm proud of the colour of my hair, and I fail to see how anynoe could be. It's just an accident of coincidence.

I admire any achievements my country have done, but I won't shy away from criticising those actions I don't agree with. Then again I also admire achievements by countries other than mine.

I will side with and support my country in sporting events, and will want my fellow countrymen to do well in all areas from the arts to scientific discovery.

I will never advocate the 'my country right or wrong' philosophy.

Does all of the above make me a patriot? I've no idea, nor I care much about it to be honest.
  • Options
    So who we talking about here Aladin, Spaniards or the Brits? :p
  • Options
    Spaniards, though when Spain has no direct interest in something (for instance when we invariably exit the World Cup far too early :mad: ) I will support the British/English in whichever competition they might be in.
  • Options
    I don't really see why i should be proud of my nationality, being english is no better than being american or african. I see being 'proud' when you've made an achievement or someone close to you has. Being a certain nationality isn't an achievement. Same as being born with a certain skin colour isn't an achievement. Just my take on it anyway.
  • Options
    Patriotism is not something you can define, dissect and lay it out for all to see.
    Patriotism is a feeling and most feeling cannot be articulated.
    Also, what I see as patriotism is a personal thing to me and others will see it differently maybe, or the same.
    People make a mistake and confuse patriotism with nationalism and they are two different concepts.

I think I am patriotic. I want my country to do well, I want to see people from my country and especially from the area I come from to do well, if I see someone from my country I will feel a natural connection with them just because we are from the same country. I respect the traditions and the history of my country and I would defend it without thinking twice. I also recognize things my country has done wrong and things that are wrong in the country. I am proud of it and I would gladly fly the flag. Like I said, it's a feeling and maybe it's hard to put it into words without sounding fanatical or something.
  • Options
    "No true patriot would say my country right or wrong; its like saying my mother drunk or sober"

GK Chesterton
  • Options
    I do. You're one of those people who likes smashing things up and rebelling against authority, yes "anarchists" I think you call them. ;)

Yeah, man, punk as fuck!
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    I admire any achievements my country have done, but I won't shy away from criticising those actions I don't agree with. ...

Does all of the above make me a patriot? I've no idea, nor I care much about it to be honest.

I'd say yes. To me, patriotism is shown by the pride you feel when your country (or a countryman) does something of excellence - with the opposite sense of shame when they do something wrong - such as Brits abroad...
  • Options
    I am a patriot, I love my country and I love the people around me. This does not mean that I think my country is right in everything it does however, but let's face it, at least we're not run by Maoists. You don't have to think you are better than anybody else either. I am proud to be a woman, but it does not mean I believe women are superior to men.

To me, patriotism is about taking pride in your own country, in its history and in the arts and culture. I see it as supporting your country... So looking after each other is an act of patriotism, I think that paying taxes is an act of patriotism, abiding by the law (most laws) is an act of patriotism, being involved in a civil rights movement, anti war, environmental movements, feminist movements, any movement which will help improve the lives and treatment of your fellow country men is also patriotic.

That's my take on it.
  • Options
    I'd say yes. To me, patriotism is shown by the pride you feel when your country (or a countryman) does something of excellence - with the opposite sense of shame when they do something wrong - such as Brits abroad...

:yes:
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    I am a patriot, I love my country and I love the people around me. This does not mean that I think my country is right in everything it does however, but let's face it, at least we're not run by Maoists. You don't have to think you are better than anybody else either. I am proud to be a woman, but it does not mean I believe women are superior to men.

To me, patriotism is about taking pride in your own country, in its history and in the arts and culture. I see it as supporting your country... So looking after each other is an act of patriotism, I think that paying taxes is an act of patriotism, abiding by the law (most laws) is an act of patriotism, being involved in a civil rights movement, anti war, environmental movements, feminist movements, any movement which will help improve the lives and treatment of your fellow country men is also patriotic.

That's my take on it.

What if being involved in those political things you mention brings you into conflict with the state (which it does)? It then begs the question as to who gets to define what your country is.
  • Options
    What if being involved in those political things you mention brings you into conflict with the state (which it does)? It then begs the question as to who gets to define what your country is.

... and you seem to define it as the state, which it isn't. My country is the people, without them there is no country and you cannot say the same about the state.

When people talk about "My country right or wrong", they are usually talking about their Government. It's not the same thing.
  • Options
    ... and you seem to define it as the state, which it isn't. My country is the people, without them there is no country and you cannot say the same about the state.

So who gets to define what that means then?
  • Options
    So who gets to define what that means then?

What what means?
  • Options
    What patriotism means. What it means to be from a particular country.