Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Mri

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am going for an MRI in a month or so, to scan my head for stuff to do with my epilepsy.

What are your experiences with MRI's as I'm a bit nervous cos it's all claustrophobic and stuff

Comments

• Options
    I've had one, and it was in no way as bad as I imagined (I get pretty claustrophobic). I'd had a scan of my hips before, and been all the way in the machine, which was a little scary, but with the head one I was totally fine.

When they scan your head, they only put your head and a wee bit of your shoulders into the scanner, so you can see out, and you don't feel as enclosed. They strap your head into this cage type thing, which looks a bit like an instrument of toture, but it's comfy enough, and give you earplugs (you can't have headphones/music obviously cause that would get in the way of what they're scanning). Then they pop you in, you try to keep as still as you can, close your eyes and take some deep breaths and it'll be over before you know it.

Honestly, nothing to worry about :)
  • Options
    I had an MRI, i don't even know what for now, but they scanned my head. They gave me earplugs, put my head in like a helmet thing, and made me lay down, then they said i was going in the machine. They give you a little button to press if you want to come out, so don't panic.

Then, you go in and it is quite small in there, so i just closed my eyes again, it looks like the material they have on plane roofs (that funny cream plastic). They also have a mirror attached to the helmet thing which is tilted so you can see your toes. The woman just told me if i wanted to open my eyes, i could wiggle my toes and watch them.

Then, it's quite noisy, hmm, it sounds a bit like a floor vibrating, they do it in spurts. One might last 2 mins, one 4 mins, one 1 minute. They stress that you cannot move your head AT ALL, which is really quite hard. It all goes rather quickly really. Halfway through they pulled me out to change my helmet thing (i think they wanted to check my neck or something) i went in for another couple of scans and that was it. Don't panic and good luck :)
  • Options
    I had one on my head, it's boring, it makes irritating noises and thats about it at the end of the day. I found, lying back, closing my eyes and trying to doze worked well.
  • Options
    Ok, wicked. doesnt sound too terrible