Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Lost Wallet

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right, so heres the story.

I lost my wallet in a taxi 7 days ago. I asumed i would never get it back, although i had done nothing about it.

On Saturday, i recived a phone call from someone saying they had my wallet and they were going to post it that day. (i offered him the £10 cash inside, but he declined)

After this I didnt cancel my one bank card that was in the wallet, and sat happily waiting for the postman.

Im getting increasingly paranoid something is not right here.

1) why did he ring me, why not post it to the address on the driving licence?

2) The wallet should have arrived by now

3) The phone number he gave me is always switched off

4) Is he appearing nice and ringing me, as a ploy to relax me so i wont be suspicous of bank fraud?

Im proberly just over reacting, or thinking too much about this. what is your perspectif on the situation

Comments

• JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Cancel the bank card, be on the safe side.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yeah definatly cancel your cards
    Fool, you should have cancelled your cards right away.
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    Fool, you should have cancelled your cards right away.

Fiend with her legendary nice-ness :p
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I'll agree though. When you lose your wallet, the first thing you do is cancel all your cards (that were in it).
    What you describe makes it even more suspicious, so I'd say with a 99% certainty that your money is disappearing (if it's not all gone already).
    the only reason I didnt was because i was away for a few days, i thought i left it at home not the taxi.

Ive checked my bank account, nothing has happend. I better get to the bank tomorrow then, just incase
    What you describe makes it even more suspicious, so I'd say with a 99% certainty that your money is disappearing (if it's not all gone already).

It's possible, even likely that someone may be stealing money from her account...

99% certain? :eek2: Unless you're the one with her cards... :p

oloala, you can phone the banks now and they will cancel the cards and get new ones sent out to you straight away :)
    Cancel the cards, get new ones sent out.

They'd call to say they'd found it, and stop you worrying, rather than just stick it in the post.

If it went in on Saturday and missed the deadline for that day (which I think is lunchtime) then it get treated like it went in the post on Monday morning, so it's not that late yet.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Fiend with her legendary nice-ness :p
    Is it legendary now? Cool, I should find a way to encorperate that into my user title or something.
    You are always totally protected against fraud on your account (dont bother buying extra protection, they have to give it to you by law) if, and this is a big if, you tell them straight away if your card goes missing.

You havent done this, so if they steal money, dont expect the bank to give it back.
    right ive got the card and all the contents of my wallet back now, came through the post just as he said. Its still worth getting a new card though wouldnt you think, just incase?
    olaola wrote: »
    Its still worth getting a new card though wouldnt you think, just incase?

Well they can easily have taken all the numbers off your card, including the number on the back.
    And they could have skimmed it ten times.

Any sensible person would have cancelled the card a fortnight ago.
    the only reason I didnt was because i was away for a few days, i thought i left it at home not the taxi.

Ive checked my bank account, nothing has happend. I better get to the bank tomorrow then, just incase

get to the bank tomorrow. It amuses me, sadly, that you don't really sound concerned. You should have called the bank yesterday as it is so get on the phone to them now!
    right ive got the card and all the contents of my wallet back now, came through the post just as he said. Its still worth getting a new card though wouldnt you think, just incase?
    How have you not already? Don't you like your money or something?
    You should cancel cards the minute you lose them, even if you think that when you have time to hunt properly you'll probably find it in your room in the next couple of days.

It doesn't cost anything, you get new cards pretty fast and that way things are safe.
    just out of interest, how did he get your phone number anyway?!
    I have just lost my purse at the weekend has soon has I had slept off the hangover. i phoned my bank up straight away cancelled my card. then phoned the police..and reoprt it.

I was stupid enough to have everything in my card. provisional driving licene, & National Insurance card. (incase u are wander wtf i had my NI card) was cause i can't remember my number & my work had asked for it..

i had money init has well but am more worried still about the whole id fraud thing.. :(

Shaz xx
    Right, so heres the story.

I lost my wallet in a taxi 7 days ago. I asumed i would never get it back, although i had done nothing about it.

On Saturday, i recived a phone call from someone saying they had my wallet and they were going to post it that day. (i offered him the £10 cash inside, but he declined)

After this I didnt cancel my one bank card that was in the wallet, and sat happily waiting for the postman.

Im getting increasingly paranoid something is not right here.

1) why did he ring me, why not post it to the address on the driving licence?

2) The wallet should have arrived by now

3) The phone number he gave me is always switched off

4) Is he appearing nice and ringing me, as a ploy to relax me so i wont be suspicous of bank fraud?

Im proberly just over reacting, or thinking too much about this. what is your perspectif on the situation

In the past when I have found people's wallets I've always phoned then to let them know as they are probably really worried and they might still be in the immediate area. But I still would cancel the cards, even if the nicest person in the world returned it to you, you can't be sure who had it first, if your cards were already skimmed or whatever.