Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Children being tried as adults?

Was watching a programme yesterday, which was about a boy who had shot someone and after 2 years (when he was 13) the case finally went to court and he got tried as an adult.

During the sentencing, the judge had to deicde whether to sentence as he normally would an adult or to sentence him as a child.

Is it right that a child should be tried as an adult? Someone please tell me, in this country, are children tried as adults or is it just an American thing?

http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_killers/weird/kids2/disorders_4.html is the link to the case I'm talking about.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Nice.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    Was watching a programme yesterday, which was about a boy who had shot someone and after 2 years (when he was 13) the case finally went to court and he got tried as an adult.

During the sentencing, the judge had to deicde whether to sentence as he normally would an adult or to sentence him as a child.

Is it right that a child should be tried as an adult? Someone please tell me, in this country, are children tried as adults or is it just an American thing?

http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_killers/weird/kids2/disorders_4.html is the link to the case I'm talking about.

Well, children aren't adults are they? Question answered.
  • Options
    It depends what age we're talking about, but I would say children are not acting like children any more. Defining child and adult is, of course, merely a pedantic issue. But if kids are going to go around having sex, engaging in violence and crime, drinking, taking drugs, swearing and so on, then yes, try them as adults.
    A child murdering someone is has little difference to an adult murdering one.
  • Options
    pah1986 wrote: »
    It depends what age we're talking about, but I would say children are not acting like children any more. Defining child and adult is, of course, merely a pedantic issue. But if kids are going to go around having sex, engaging in violence and crime, drinking, taking drugs, swearing and so on, then yes, try them as adults.
    A child murdering someone is has little difference to an adult murdering one.

But children do not have the same emotional capacity as adults. They do not understand consequences in the same way as adults. So to try them as adults would be wrong.
  • Options
    If they're not going to act differently, I wouldn't treat them differently. What has emotional capacity got to do with it if, say, a gang of eleven year olds rape a woman, beat up an old lady or vandalise an estate? They deserve punishing. Properly.
  • Options
    If they're not going to act differently, I wouldn't treat them differently. What has emotional capacity got to do with it if, say, a gang of eleven year olds rape a woman, beat up an old lady or vandalise an estate? They deserve punishing. Properly.

What it has to do with it is everything. Children who commit violent acts like that do not have the same understanding of what it means to do those things as an adult does. If a child is committing rape at 11, then that child has some serious problems. I would guess that they may well have been sexually abused themselves, or have witnessed extreme violence done to a family member. They may well have the beginnings of a psychosis or personality disorder.

Leaving all that aside, they are not adults. An 11 year old does not have the same emotional capacity or reasoning ability as an adult - so they should not be tried as adults. They don't have the same ability to understand their actions as an adult does. End of.
  • Options
    Yes, but most adults who perform similar crimes, also, have been abused sexually or witnessed violence. But they're different because of their age?

So they don't have the same reasoning. That doesn't give them an excuse to commit crimes. I'd be damned upset if a child had commited a crime against one of my friends or family, and certainly wouldn't declare "It's OK, he didn't have the same emotional capacity. He'll do two years in the little prison and come out a much better person."
  • Options
    Yes, but most adults who perform similar crimes, also, have been abused sexually or witnessed violence.

Agreed.
    But they're different because of their age?

Yes. Adults have a greater capacity to understand that while they may be unconsciously acting out past traumas, they should also have the ability to process those experiences without inflicting them on others. Taking responsibility and understanding consequences is part of growing into an adult.
    So they don't have the same reasoning.

No, they don't. It's what makes them children.
    That doesn't give them an excuse to commit crimes.

Who mentioned anything about excusing? :confused:
    I'd be damned upset if a child had commited a crime against one of my friends or family,

No shit.
    and certainly wouldn't declare "It's OK, he didn't have the same emotional capacity. He'll do two years in the little prison and come out a much better person."

But that's what the effect of trying them as adults would be - a couple of years in prison. Much better to make them understand why it is wrong and horrific to do those things and to help them with any emotional problems they may have.
  • Options
    Juggernaut wrote: »
    Hmmm... Why was my post erased?

It made sense, it wasn't off topic. Huh?

I guess 'cos it was a nasty piece of hate filled vitriol.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote: »
    I guess 'cos it was a nasty piece of hate filled vitriol.

Indeed, graphically describing the rape and then execution of a 13 year old isn't adding anything to the debate other than bile.
  • Options
    Yes. Adults have a greater capacity to understand that while they may be unconsciously acting out past traumas, they should also have the ability to process those experiences without inflicting them on others. Taking responsibility and understanding consequences is part of growing into an adult.

As much as I hate the twats who use the argument I'm about to:
    What then, defines an adult with better emotional reasoning than a kid?
    I call them twats because it's hard to draw a line between when someone has reasoning and when one doesn't.

Kids vandalising stuff and beating up people in the street (happy slapping, perhaps?) - is this because they have no understanding of the consequences?

And how do we teach them what the consequences are, if we're not going to punish them?

No shit.
    Hardly necessary.
    But that's what the effect of trying them as adults would be - a couple of years in prison. Much better to make them understand why it is wrong and horrific to do those things and to help them with any emotional problems they may have.
    Ah, the old rehabilitation vs punishment debate.
    They will understand that it's bad to go to prison. Thus it's bad to do crime.

Everyone has emotional problems. Big whoop. But we don't all go round beating people to death. The emotional problems should be addressed before the crime is committed. One the crime has been executed, that person must be punished.
  • Options
    As much as I hate the twats who use the argument I'm about to:
    What then, defines an adult with better emotional reasoning than a kid?

Well of course there is no clear dividing line. However some compromise has to be reached, which is why we have 10 as the age of criminal responsibilty and 14 as the age where you are considered to be as fully aware of your actions as an adult, and 17 or 18 (I forget which) when youthful misdemeanours get wiped from your record.
    I call them twats because it's hard to draw a line between when someone has reasoning and when one doesn't.

Agreed, its not easy.
    Kids vandalising stuff and beating up people in the street (happy slapping, perhaps?) - is this because they have no understanding of the consequences?

Partly, yes. Although there are other factors involved such as how people behave in groups (personal responsibilty gets transferred to the group so its easier to do things you wouldn't on your own) and the fact that everyone has agressive impulses, but adults can usually understand and control them better. Some kids can too, others not so well - probably partly temperament but also partly upbringing, whether they feel emotionally contained by their carers etc.
    And how do we teach them what the consequences are, if we're not going to punish them?

The billion dollar question. Some form of punishment might work, but I don't believe that only punishment works. Human beings are not Skinner's rats, we are more complex than that. Showing people the hurt they cause might help and listening to, understanding and helping them come to terms with any agressive feelings or traumas would also help.

Hardly necessary.

I was agreeing with you!
    Ah, the old rehabilitation vs punishment debate.
    They will understand that it's bad to go to prison. Thus it's bad to do crime.

People are a tad more complex than that - as I said earlier, simple negative reinforcements don't work that well with humans.
    Everyone has emotional problems. Big whoop. But we don't all go round beating people to death.

Yes. However, how many of us have witnessed our mum being gang raped, or have been consistently beaten and abused as children? Read the biographies of most mass murderers and there is some awful neglect/abuse in their childhoods.
    The emotional problems should be addressed before the crime is committed.

Yes, I agree. However the provision of mental health, counselling and therapy services to children is shockingly bad.
    One the crime has been executed, that person must be punished.

I can tell you for nowt, punishment on its own doesn't work.
  • Options
    Juggernaut wrote: »
    Well lookey here... put on the spin factor why don't ya.

It's what happens. You want me to lie just to make yourself sleep better at night, wimp?

I never described genitalia or anything specific.

Get over yourself. He is nothing more than a convicted killer that deserves what was coming to him by process of a fair trial and punishment by proper authorities. That's what my post suggested, moron. Stop your propaganda BS.

Don't go all weak on me here, you mod panel flamer.

Nice.
  • Options
    Partly, yes. Although there are other factors involved such as how people behave in groups (personal responsibilty gets transferred to the group so its easier to do things you wouldn't on your own) and the fact that everyone has agressive impulses, but adults can usually understand and control them better. Some kids can too, others not so well - probably partly temperament but also partly upbringing, whether they feel emotionally contained by their carers etc.
    Agreed. No doubting there are always many factors when it comes to a crime.

The billion dollar question. Some form of punishment might work, but I don't believe that only punishment works.
    I agree somewhat, but I believe the counselling BS is, well, BS. If they're getting counselling sessions whilst actually in the prison and showing good performance based on these sessions, fair enough. But I do believe people should be punished accordingly.
    Showing people the hurt they cause might help and listening to, understanding and helping them come to terms with any agressive feelings or traumas would also help.

My problem is if kids don't have the emotional capacity to understand their crimes, surely offering a counsellor is useless in trying to give them emotional capacity to understand their crimes. Plus most of these trouble makers have an attitude or authority problem; would they really accept the counselling?
    I was agreeing with you!
    Fair enough, but "no shit" has a hint of sarcasm about it imo.

However, how many of us have witnessed our mum being gang raped, or have been consistently beaten and abused as children? Read the biographies of most mass murderers and there is some awful neglect/abuse in their childhoods.
    Quite, but we're not just talking about mass murderers. Most lawless children today were brought up in broken homes, in poverty, potentially with bullying and abuse from classmates and parents. I'm pretty confident this is almost the norm for the majority of people, myself included.

I can tell you for nowt, punishment on its own doesn't work.
    As you say, it depends on the emotional complexities of the person.
  • Options
    But children do not have the same emotional capacity as adults. They do not understand consequences in the same way as adults. So to try them as adults would be wrong.
    You're telling me that an 11yr old wouldn't understand that the consequence of shooting someone in the chest or head would be their death?
  • Options
    Agreed. No doubting there are always many factors when it comes to a crime.

I agree somewhat, but I believe the counselling BS is, well, BS. If they're getting counselling sessions whilst actually in the prison and showing good performance based on these sessions, fair enough. But I do believe people should be punished accordingly.

Counselling is BS? On what do you base that?

Advocating punishment without any attempt to address underlying issues is stupidly shortsighted as you just end up with the same problems when they come out of prison.

My problem is if kids don't have the emotional capacity to understand their crimes, surely offering a counsellor is useless in trying to give them emotional capacity to understand their crimes.

The whole purpose of counselling or therapy is to develop a capacity to understand your unconscious motivations and patterns of behaviour. Children cannot understand in the same way as adults can, but they can be given help to understand as best they can...as you point out, not all children commit crimes.
    Plus most of these trouble makers have an attitude or authority problem; would they really accept the counselling?

Depends on how its done. If done properly, then most would I reckon. My missus worked in a south London EBD school (school for kids with emotional and behavourial difficulties) last year. She was working with some very disturbed kids and had some degree of success in getting through to kids that teachers had not had any success with...all by taking time to listen to the kids, build up a relationship with them, think about what was going on for them and having some psychodynamic training. Not an easy task admittedly, and time consuming, but it can be done. Except it costs, so mostly isn't done...
    Fair enough, but "no shit" has a hint of sarcasm about it imo.

Well, yes, as it was stating the bleedin' obvious!
    Quite, but we're not just talking about mass murderers. Most lawless children today were brought up in broken homes, in poverty, potentially with bullying and abuse from classmates and parents.I'm pretty confident this is almost the norm for the majority of people, myself included.

You see any connection between that and the current problems of violence? I do.
    As you say, it depends on the emotional complexities of the person.

Yes, but my experience of working with people in the criminal justice system tells me that punishment on its own doesn't work.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    You're telling me that an 11yr old wouldn't understand that the consequence of shooting someone in the chest or head would be their death?

Are you telling me that an 11 year old has the same understanding of death as an 18 year old?
  • Options
    I did.

Which makes it a judges discretion doesn't it? If a judge deems based on advice that a child has the full understanding of what they've done, shouldn't they feel the full weight of the punishment?
  • Options
    I did.

Really? You must be a very unusual person.
    Which makes it a judges discretion doesn't it? If a judge deems based on advice that a child has the full understanding of what they've done, shouldn't they feel the full weight of the punishment?

Well the law states that an 11 year old is too young to be tried as an adult, so no.
  • Options
    As I understand it, it is fairly unusual to have a parent die when you're so young. But even then I understood that when my grandfather died, he wasn't coming back (8 years old), I knew that when my neighbour died, that she wasn't coming back (and I was 9 or 10 then) I was afraid of my mother dying, because I knew she wouldn't come back, that would be it.

My neice is 7, and understands that death means they don't come back, and all she's had is her cat run over.
  • Options
    I also find it hard to believe that you haven't matured emotionally between the ages of 11 and 18.

Understanding that they don't come back is one thing - understanding the full impact of that is quite another.
  • Options
    I could argue that no-one can understand the full impact unless they've had the closest person to them die when they're still dependent on that person.

An 18yr old murderer who's had no experience of death does not necessarily have any understanding of the full impact either. Full impact is a demanding requirement. Understanding the consequences is all you need.
  • Options
    Maybe 11 year olds should be set to work too, or look after an ill parent by themselves without any support. if the arguement that a child is aware of the world as an adult can be applied to crime, what about other things?

Is a 13 year old emotionally equipped to go through the process of pregnancy then raise a child? if a child and a grown man are living on the streets and there is only one house available, does that mean that because we cannot define a child, or because they have a good understanding of their situation they are not prioritised to have shelter?
  • Options
    I could argue that no-one can understand the full impact unless they've had the closest person to them die when they're still dependent on that person.

An 18yr old murderer who's had no experience of death does not necessarily have any understanding of the full impact either. Full impact is a demanding requirement. Understanding the consequences is all you need.

An 11 year old does not have the same understanding as an 18 year old. Heck, as an 18 year old, I didn't have the understanding that I have now! I bet by the time I'm 60, I'll look back at me now and realise how little I understood! However, there has to be a cut off point and the law has set that at 14.
  • Options
    There are significant differences between a child and an adolescent, and an adolescent and an adult.

An 11 yo doesn't nearly have the capacities to understand the full consequences of their actions, not emotionally and not even mentally as an adult does. As described by developmental psychologists, the child goes through various phases of cognitive development, at 11 being still in the phase of concrete operations. Between 11 and 15 they reach the phase of formal operations, meaning they can begin to understand basic abstract terms and thinking. But it is not until they hit full adolescence (around 15) when they acquire the so-called hypothetical-deductive reasoning, which is the mental ability to fully understand and practice abstract thinking. In cognitive terms, a person isn't considered fully developed until they reach this stage.

So no, a child is far from understanding things as an adult does, so trying him as one is a form of maltreatment, as you are asking from him/her abilities they can't possibly have yet, with possible consequences being that of an adult punishment.

Trying an 11 yo old child is simply preposterous.
  • Options
    What it has to do with it is everything. Children who commit violent acts like that do not have the same understanding of what it means to do those things as an adult does. If a child is committing rape at 11, then that child has some serious problems. I would guess that they may well have been sexually abused themselves, or have witnessed extreme violence done to a family member. They may well have the beginnings of a psychosis or personality disorder.

Leaving all that aside, they are not adults. An 11 year old does not have the same emotional capacity or reasoning ability as an adult - so they should not be tried as adults. They don't have the same ability to understand their actions as an adult does. End of.

My thoughts exactly.
  • Options
    I think children are well aware of what is right and wrong, to be honest, hell, my cat even understands that much. I don't believe for one second that children are these innocent little things that don't know that stabbing someone is wrong, and don't know that it hurts a lot. They're not that innocent or stupid- they know what they are doing, and they intend to do it. I think that children should be tried for crimes much younger than they are being at present.

That said, of course they don't understand it in the way an older person would, and to try them as adults is ridiculous. Although I think the same sentences should be open to judges for them as for adults, including indefinite detention for dangerous defendants, obviously as a general rule children shouldn't be getting the same sentences as they don't have the same mental capacity.

If anything, children who do the violent crimes at a young age are more dangerous, for the reasonsd Blagsta highlighted, and probably should be in secure accomodation in order to give them the mental health care they need without putting the public in danger. A rapist at any age shouldn't be walking the streets.
  • Options
    What I also find even more disturbing is that in the US (and elsewhere in the world) several people have been scentenced to death and executed for crimes they committed under the age of 18 - there is lots of information out there but this is just one report from amnesty.
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote: »
    What I also find even more disturbing is that in the US (and elsewhere in the world) several people have been scentenced to death and executed for crimes they committed under the age of 18 - there is lots of information out there but this is just one report from amnesty.

To take the first example from that site.

Napoleon Beazley was 17. He murdered a 63 year old. He committed the crime just a few months before turning 18. I probably don't agree with his execution but I don't find it that disturbing tbh. The thing that I find disturbing is the sick murder that Napoleon Beazley carried out.
  • Options
    To take the first example from that site.

Napoleon Beazley was 17. He murdered a 63 year old. He committed the crime just a few months before turning 18. I probably don't agree with his execution but I don't find it that disturbing tbh. The thing that I find disturbing is the sick murder that Napoleon Beazley carried out.

So killing is OK if sanctioned by the state?