Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

PCSO Interview

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've just found out I've managed to get an interview to be a PCSO, which I'm quite chuffed about. But I've been researching it a bit online and it seems so complicated. If anyone has any words of wisdom or experience of the PCSO interview it would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Worst of both worlds. The public hate you and proper police hate you.
    As helpful as ever there. She wasn't asking for your personal opinion on the police force.

Is it to be a PCSO in a specific area? I'd imagine being one in a city would be very different to covering a small rural village.
    Blagsta wrote: »

:lol: :yes:
    :thumb:
    PussyKatty wrote: »
    Is it to be a PCSO in a specific area? I'd imagine being one in a city would be very different to covering a small rural village.

I've applied for Essex, specifically my town, and a couple of larger towns.
    I've read so much about people panicking about the interview and messing it up, just want to be fully prepared really.
    Is there any info on the web about the application process and what the interview might involve?

I'm completely guessing here but I would imagine questions about what is important to the community, what the problems are, what you see the role of a PCSO being, why you want the job, that kind of thing being likely.

Also, you may well get some kind of role play, or scenarios to talk about or work through.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hi Mizz pink, it's great that you're keen to be prepared.
    This website has lots of useful stuff written by people who had the interview, including something that looks to be from whowhere (a fellow member of TheSite who hasn't been around for a while.)

Hope it helps
    Good luck!
    My mate just qualified to be a PCSO in the last couple of months. He reckoned it was pretty simple, although I don't know the in's and out's...
    Thanks for the help guys :) Fingers crossed it'll all go well.
    Blagsta wrote: »

True though. Why would anyone be one? They just get laughed at when they try to exercise their non existant powers.
    I've been a PCSO for nearly 4 years now, and I have loved every minute of it. I would say that having non-existent powers is a bit extreme. We have been given powers of arrest, and numerous powers to help prevent/combat antisocial behaviour. As for the interview process, it's changed considerably since I started, and it's almost as tough as that of police officer.
    Best piece of advice I can give you is to start researching about local crime in your area, and star thinking of ways you could help to combat it if you were taken on. I researched articles on the "broken windows" effect, how a house with broken windows can quickly lead to degeneration in an area and how i'd work with the council to get things like that sorted quickly. I also spoke about how, in my opinion rural areas get a short deal when it comes to policing, and how I felt I could make a bigger difference than in the city. 4 years on, the town i work in has seen monthly crime fall from 70 crimes a month to 20, and we have a burglary, on average every 3 months. This is in a town with 10,000 people.
    Nice work whowhere! Long time no see :). Are you sticking around for a bit?

Also, not to be anal, the thread is about a month and a bit old so the OP probably has had her interview already :).
    I thought that, I don't have much time to spend on the Net very more, as you can imagine i'm very busy at work. The role has changed a lot since I started, we're involved in more arrests than ever as well as traffic duties and assisting on warrants. I've not had a Friday night off in 2 months :) Can't complain though, it's all good fun. I will try and pop by more often, it's just a pity I can't access my old user name.
    I thought you were a regular cop.
    As this thread has been brought up I thought I'd give a little update. Passed my interview, have a provisional start date next month, depending on refs. Get my uniform fitted next week too :yippe:
    Excellent, well done.
    Cool, you can start bossing people around. :cool:
    Nothing wrong with bossing people around, as long as you're not one of the numpties that does it for the sake of it.
    I don't like telling people what to do unless I have to.
    M.P if you need any advice PM me and i'll try and answer any questions you might have.
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with bossing people around,

and there we have it :D
    Hey, I just passed the test part of the PCSO induction and have my interview next week. Since you just had yours, do you have any tips? I am guessing it will be like the regular force interview.
    MrDevine wrote: »
    Hey, I just passed the test part of the PCSO induction and have my interview next week. Since you just had yours, do you have any tips? I am guessing it will be like the regular force interview.

Hi Mr Devine,

Erm "just had yours" is a bit of an understatement. You need to check the dates of threads as this was two years ago.

:)
    lol. Dude.post.dead is a bit of an understatement too.

Anyways,

Expect you to be grilled on any answers you gave in your application, and i mean grilled. I got worked up into a sweat during mine lol.
    They will ask you for your opinions on crime, operational policing, policitcal "hot potatoes" such as immigrant integration in the area and other sensitive topics.
    Make sure you do your homework, give an opinion of the type of place you'd want to work and give a good reason why.

I wanted to work in a more rural area, my answer consisted of pointing out that crime per person was above average compared to the city centre areas, that people in rural areas were often far more vulnerable than in a city where there is a cop around every corner, and that a local officer with local knowledge can make a real difference.
    5 1/2 years later I'm still there ;)
    hiiiiiiiiiii

i applied recently to become a pcso. i passed the paper sifting part (they've taken over a month to contact me!) and ive been invited to the assessment centre on monday (talk about short notice - only got the letter today!) and im gonna be tested on my verbal and written skills.

what should i expect? any tips?

i really REALLY want this. if i pass this i'll get invited to an interview and they are being held at the beginning of june!!!!

someone please reply (im hoping someone reads this before i actually go!)
    If its anything like the police it will be alot of roleplay!
    argggh, really? i hate roleplay stuff. i had to do it for my job i have now and its not my sort of thing! hopefully will do ok though!
    Chris hated it but got through it.