Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

News

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    briggi wrote: »
    Whatever we decide I'm sure there will be a definite Swedish/Irish influence in there somewhere as I have been so cruelly banned from embracing my inner hippy :grump:

I once read about a couple naming their kid Ikea, though I doubt if you'll be following their lead. :razz:

Irish names are good. One of my best friends is called Finbarr and has a younger brother called Oisin (Osh-ing), which are two Irish boy names I've always liked. I suppose the only thing to remember with Irish names (and Swedish no doubt!) is that the kid will go through their life having to spell their name at every point. Minor inconvenience though, and I suppose with all the ridiculous alternate spellings of regular names these days, everyone has to do it!
  • Options
    Addict wrote: »
    I once read about a couple naming their kid Ikea, though I doubt if you'll be following their lead. :razz:

Irish names are good. One of my best friends is called Finbarr and has a younger brother called Oisin (Osh-ing), which are two Irish boy names I've always liked. I suppose the only thing to remember with Irish names (and Swedish no doubt!) is that the kid will go through their life having to spell their name at every point. Minor inconvenience though, and I suppose with all the ridiculous alternate spellings of regular names these days, everyone has to do it!

Haha, I'm quite fond of outlandish names but Ikea would be taking it a little bit far even by my standards. I wonder if they capitalised it, like the shop does.

Funny you should mention Oisín, I've always loved that name. Used to be fascinated by the whole story of Tir na nÓg, I could definitely see myself going for something like that. Pretty keen on Fingal, which a similar kinda Scottish variant to Finbarr. Or Fionn as in mac Cumhaill. Because you can't go wrong with having one of those Causeway-building, hunter-warrior types as a namesake :thumb: :D

Spelling is a bit of a pain in the arse, I know when I've had my cousins over to stay people are completely baffled by the pronunciation and then spelling of a lot of Irish names. But like you said, that's par for the course with loads of names these days, and it's probably... er, character building or something like that!
  • Options

Funny you should mention Oisín, I've always loved that name. Used to be fascinated by the whole story of Tir na nÓg, I could definitely see myself going for something like that.

And if your potential son is like my friend's brother, he may end up with the nickname Ozzy. :razz:

Finbarr gets Barney from our group of friends, though I tend to still call him by his first name but I do that for everyone, no matter how established their nickname is.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    names ending in "a" are unfortunately a bit of a no-no.
    Why's that really? Just out of curiocity.
  • Options
    Why's that really? Just out of curiocity.

I'd presume it might have something to do with surnames.
  • Options
    oh wowsa! thats fantastic news. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!

i'm so jealous, i want some babbies now.
  • Options
  • Options
    I wonder if they capitalised it, like the shop does.

:lol: IKEA... second thoughts is that actually allowed? name officially with capital letters : o

congrats anyway, hope ikea and focusdoitall (whatever number2 might be called :D) are healthy and happy!
  • Options
    sophia wrote: »
    Fucking hell, Bridgeline!!! Congratulations to you and Stephen, I'm really, really happy for you both.

July 19th....I'd better get knitting, especially as I have two sets of booties to make rather than just one!

How do they know they're fraternal rather than identical?

fraternals would each have their own placenta and be in their own sac, but identicals would share a placenta and sac.
  • Options
    Good god...congratulations!!It's fantastic news!!Just make sure you get as much sleep as you can before now and delivery :thumb:
  • Options
    Blimey - how exciting and twins as well..

Big Hugs

xxx
  • Options
    Rubberskin where did Frogmella and Cortina come from?

Frogmella was the name of Wayne and Waynetta Slob's kid from the Harry Enfield show. Cortina ? Was thinking along the lines of the Beckhams and naming your kid after where it was conceived :D
  • Options
    wow... I really hope you and steve got your crap together... *did obviously not read through the whole thread yet*.

gz.
  • Options
    congratulations! so when did you find out?
  • Options
    Congratulations!!! :yippe:
  • Options
    I'd presume it might have something to do with surnames.

:thumb: They'll sound like twits if they have "a" ending names unless we go double-barrelled which doesn't have a snowball in hell's chance of happening. I think I could live with Ozzy, ha.

sophia - SCC is right on the money, they have their own sac and placenta which I find a bit of a strange concept but am very pleased about as I find the idea of having identical children a bit freaky deeky. Get your non-gender specific knitting started now! :razz:

lipsy we found out at the beginning of December but didn't tell anyone until last week. We only found out that it's twins on Friday, definitely something of a shock -- wasn't expecting that at all.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Frogmella was the name of Wayne and Waynetta Slob's kid from the Harry Enfield show. Cortina ? Was thinking along the lines of the Beckhams and naming your kid after where it was conceived :D

Cheeky git :D Sadly, it'd be more along the lines of Seat and Arosa though.
  • Options
    Oh. My. God.

Congratulations Briggi. Talk about hands full now...
  • Options
    Oh. My. God.

Congratulations Briggi. Talk about hands full now...

Cheers :)

Yeah hands full is about as apt a description as you can get! As someone said earlier I guess I'd better start getting ahead in the sleep stakes right now [and practise keeping a firm grip on sanity too] :D
  • Options
    Ooo, how exciting!

Really pleased for you :D
  • Options
    Yay briggi :D.

I am a fraternal twin :cool:. Therefore your babies will be infinitely cool as they share that similarity with me.

Idon'tknoweither.

YAY :D.
  • Options
    There were two guys who were fraternal twins at my school. You could not have met two more different people. One was a quiet, glasses wearing bookworm sort, fair hair and skin, who had a striking resemblance to Curly Watts from Coronation Street, hence his nickname Curly Watts. His twin was a well built, confident, gregarious rugby player, who had dark hair and dark skin. Poles apart but they both seemed to get on well with eachother.
  • Options
    Congratulations!:)
  • Options
    who had a striking resemblance to Curly Watts from Coronation Street, hence his nickname Curly Watts. .

:lol:
  • Options
    I suppose the only thing to remember with Irish names (and Swedish no doubt!) is that the kid will go through their life having to spell their name at every point. Minor inconvenience though, and I suppose with all the ridiculous alternate spellings of regular names these days, everyone has to do it!

I have this and my name is only Marie. Its not exactly difficult. I dont mind about my surname but it is french-candian, I spell it automatically before anyone asks. Since I was about 7.
  • Options
    Oh wow how did i miss this.
    I have been keeping my eye out for a new announcement but never expected to hear you were having twins. Huge congratulations :D.
  • Options
    OMG. Congratulations!:D
  • Options
    I have this and my name is only Marie. Its not exactly difficult. I dont mind about my surname but it is french-candian, I spell it automatically before anyone asks. Since I was about 7.

I have to do it too. People are always spelling it wrong.

Doesnt particularly bother me.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    There were two guys who were fraternal twins at my school. You could not have met two more different people. One was a quiet, glasses wearing bookworm sort, fair hair and skin, who had a striking resemblance to Curly Watts from Coronation Street, hence his nickname Curly Watts. His twin was a well built, confident, gregarious rugby player, who had dark hair and dark skin. Poles apart but they both seemed to get on well with eachother.
    In my school, there was a set of triplets. I didn't know them very well, but they looked too much like each other (even though one was a girl) and weren't too much different in their personalities as far as I could tell.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    Yay briggi :D.

I am a fraternal twin :cool:. Therefore your babies will be infinitely cool as they share that similarity with me.

Idon'tknoweither.

YAY :D.

I totally forgot that you're a fraternal twin, you're both of the female variety right? Dare I ask whether you got/get on? :razz:

I have to say I feel a bit upset at the idea of having one Curly Watts and one super-sporty-studmuffin, that's hardly fair -- hopefully that won't be the case! Very creative nicknaming there too, I must agree, heh heh.

Stephy I will be down in Manchestuh in the next couple of weeks. I must PM immediately as you are so right, I haven't seen you in many MANY moons and I wanna :(