Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Wage overpayments

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anybody been overpayed money at work?

my problem is i have been overpayed APPARENTLY 145.00, i got a random letter, 2 months after ive left, i have no idea how, ive never noticed a random 145.00 extra in my bank, i only evern did basic pay 8 hours a week .

Im deffinetly not going to pay it? is there anyway around this

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't know how it's in the UK but in Iceland it's much harder to get overpaid employees to pay back than the company if it's been underpaying. The way it works here is that if the sum is considered substantial and thus impossible to not notice that you've been overpaid then you must pay back. Otherwise if you have no reason to think you were getting paid more than you should you don't.
    I was over paid something like £27.50. I was verbally told, but i'm waiting for a letter to come through asking for it in writing. It's not my fault they over paid me, let them chase up after it!

Was your letter a demand for payment or just for information.
    I would phone your bank and ask for a copy of your bank statements. I'm not sure whether they can reclaim or not but you're in the best position if you know 100% whether they actually did overpay you or not. :)
    They can reclaim if it isn't onerous for you to have to pay it. If you've spent it and you're poor they may well have to swivel.

They would also have to prove that they overpaid you. Don't ask the bank for statements- they charge- get the company to prove that you were overpaid first.
    hmm

its really complicated and im not sure of the hours i worked or even days, but when i left i took some days of as holidays others they didnt want me to come in

to round all that up the manager was a lazy dumb cow who couldnt count or was phased by the slightest brain thinking.

they want the full amount or installments, but i have never gone hmmm an extra 145.00,
    k

Oh and another thing,
    i used to work for the same company then they closed down the shop where i worked and i moved shops, i did not sign a contract at the new store i moved to, they asked me to but they never followed it up or brought it to me to sign,
    maybe i can argue i never signed a contract to agree to these terms?
    Yea as Kermit says make sure they provide proof that they overpaid you, but with your hours sheet thing, and with their bank records.

I didn't realise banks charged for statements, but if it was me personally I would still check. If you have online banking you can print off your own statements free of charge.
    I've been overpaid a couple of times in my current job due to bank fuck-ups. And its always had to been paid back. Just put the pressure on them to prove thats you've been overpaid, the company has to keep records of your hours/payslips etc by law.

And if you moved shops within the same company there are specific laws covering the contracts issue, look on business link or ask Acas.
    I have been overpaid in the past and had to pay it back. My mate was taken to court by a company he used to work for and he had to pay it back.
    hi

i dont belive ive been overpaid i think its an error, but proving it hmm
    matty281k wrote: »
    i dont belive ive been overpaid i think its an error, but proving it hmm

Well it's their responsibility to prove you have been overpaid, don't pay a penny until they do this. Be cordial though, ask for proof that they've overpaid you as you don't believe they have.

Best of luck :)