Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

working out a healthy weight.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i am aparently 67kg or 10.6 stone, and considering i'm only 5'1 or 2 i know i am a bit over weight. but i didn't think that i was nearly 3 stone overweight. i REALLY don't look that fat by any stretch of the imagiation (well not mine anyway, but some tosser working at marks and spencers said i was a bit chubby). my problem is that i A) don't know how much i should weigh, and B) know of a way i can loose it. i don't eat excesively, on the whole i have a very good diet, and i go everywhere by public transport. but i can't go to the gym. i get so bored i want to cry. i want to buy myself a nintendo wii purely cos that looks like more fun than going to the gym

help!

anyother thing being that i've just changed my form of contraception, so i don't know how thats going to affect me as well...

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/idealw.htm

it's not hard to find out how much you should weigh tbh. And not to sound horrible but if you have a healthy diet, you wouldn't be this heavy, unless its hormonal. Why can't you go to the gym? Have you tried investing in something you can use at home? And what contraception are you using?
    i can't go to a gym because i won't go. i get to bored. i'd go to a class like yoga or pilates or a dance class, but i'm jsut not sporty and i never will be, i can't force myself to be.

i was on microgynon 30, and i'm now on the implant
    i can't go to a gym because i won't go. i get to bored. i'd go to a class like yoga or pilates or a dance class, but i'm jsut not sporty and i never will be, i can't force myself to be.

If you won't do any exercise then i don't know how you're expecting to lose weight. I hate sport and running but i do dance. You need to try things.
    ballerina is harsh but right.
    5ft 1 and 10 stone 6 according to the BMI index is getting a bit dangerous, and it is in your best interests to find some sort of exercise you enjoy or go on some sort of diet. maybe slimming world or weight watchers or something sensible.

Using public transport isnt any more a form of exercise as getting in the car.
    At 5'1"/5'2" you should be around 8 1/2 stone.

You could try walking to work/school (or whatever you do!) instead of using public transport (you don't burn calories sat on a bus!).....

Weightwatchers is also worth a try, I personally recommend it.

You should also looking into buying a skipping rope or a trampette so you can exercise at home in your free time. A trampette, for instance, burns more calories in 20 minutes than an hour of jogging.
    Ballerina wrote: »
    . And not to sound horrible but if you have a healthy diet, you wouldn't be this heavy,

I disagree. Perhaps the issue is exercise, as it is with me. I eat really healthily - no crisps, chocolates, deserts or sweeties for me! I eat fruit and veg in abundance, as well as pulses, fish and lean meats. I've had a professional dietitian tell me my diet is fantastic so all I could do to lose weight (yes, I am a tad porky ;) ) is exercise (which, for the record, I am doing)

I advocate Ilora-Danon's suggestion. I've bought a mini trampoline and I bounce / job on it for about 15 minutes a day and also do yoga and I'm loosing weight slowly but surely. It's quite fun to stick your fave CD on and bounce along.
    BumbleBee wrote: »
    I disagree. Perhaps the issue is exercise, as it is with me. I eat really healthily - no crisps, chocolates, deserts or sweeties for me! I eat fruit and veg in abundance, as well as pulses, fish and lean meats. I've had a professional dietitian tell me my diet is fantastic so all I could do to lose weight (yes, I am a tad porky ;) ) is exercise (which, for the record, I am doing)
    I don't really see how you can be 3 stone overweight and eat fantastic, exercise or no exercise. But i'm not a dietitian. It depends what she means by a healthy diet though. And if the pill made her put weight on at all?
    I don't really see how you can be 3 stone overweight and eat fantastic, exercise or no exercise. But i'm not a dietitian. It depends what she means by a healthy diet though. And if the pill made her put weight on at all?

Does metabolism (sp?) depend on this as well?
    Thyroid?

My mum is overweight, quite a LOT overweight, and she eats healthily and does more exercise than the whole house put together. But she has an underactive thyroid so she can't keep weight off.

I'm not 3 stone overweight, so I assume you're talking about the OP.

Muscle weighs more than fat, so perhaps the OP has a lot, although that is doubtful if she admits she doesn't do any exercise.

If someone spent years eating badly, then simply changing to eating healthily will only help them lose a very small proportion of weight. It's the exercise that will get rid of the rest.
    Well it depends how long shes been eating well for and if she has any hormonal problems obviously. Like the pill can make you pack it on, but i doubt this is down to the pill alone. She hasn't said what she regards as 'healthy', as we all have different perceptions of a healthy diet.

But even if you do eat well, losing weight is about burning calories aswell as counting them.

And yes BB i was talking about the OP :p
    To be honest - even if you DO have a healthy diet, if you're consuming more calories than you're burning, you will put weight on.

Also, there is no weight that any one person *should* be. It depends on the person's build etc etc etc etc etc. 10st is a little bit much for your height, but to say you *should* be around 8.5 stones at your height is incorrect. I would (even though you are unwilling) aim to get to the gym and work at it until you are comfortable with yourself. Ignore the figures (most women are FAR too obsessed with pounds and ounces), and just work for what looks and feels good to YOU.

Oh - and that BMI thing is massively misleading as it only takes into account weight, not physical build.

Quick point on this - if you actually bothered going to the gym, you would probably find that it is addictive. The rush you get approx 30-60 minutes after a good workout is as good a buzz as anything I've had that's not 100% illegal.

You don't have to be sporty to go to the gym, girly. I have never been into sports at all, yet love hitting the gym as I know it's doing me good. It also allows me to eat crap when I want to and not worry about it. In general, going to the gym has nothing to do with sports or being sporty at all. Just a case of not being lazy.

Oh - and gyms always tend to have the classes you mention running.....................
    According to that I'm only a little bit obese... A nurse back in Wrexham told me I was two stone heavier than I should be though :(

I'm 5'3 and a size 16 (although most people I know won't believe it, I am broad shouldered).
    Twisted Trinity, you don't look over weight in your face pic photos. If i were my supposed "ideal weight" i'd be a size 8! If some twat in Marks and Sparks told me i looked chubby i'd go straight to his boss and complain! How dare he!?

If your diet is healthy and you are happy as you are, ignore these silly charts and enjoy your life. As long as your not 30 stone, eat nothing but chips and can't even get out of bed, no one has the right to tell you to lose weight. Only do it, if you want to for yourself.
    Contraception/other hormones can effect your weight and make it hard to lose weight. If you dont want to go the gym, try swimming/walking/dance classes or something similar that you would enjoy.
    Eating healthily is only part of it, exercise that makes you get out of breath is the other part. Fitness is far more important than weight (says she who is currently achieving neither).

I'm built like a tank, if you get a 1:1 scale chest/shoulder x ray of me it's massive, far far bigger than it would be for most girls my height, and that's my bone frame that can't be changed.

Sod the weight issue, go for fitness.
    TT I know you said you hate the gym, we all do...but most people (when they need it) will force themselves to go. I am 5ft4 and weigh 70kg, yes i am overweight but by simply going to the gym twice a week and going to one spin/rpm class i have gone down from 78kg. It is hard and i find it a pain in the arse to go, but it is worth it ;)
    i am aparently 67kg or 10.6 stone, and considering i'm only 5'1 or 2 i know i am a bit over weight. but i didn't think that i was nearly 3 stone overweight.
    Based on a height of 5'2 you would be of "normal weight" if you were in the range of 7 stone 4 pounds to 9 stone 10 pounds. Therefore you are definately not three stone overweight!

(See this website for BMI based weight range calculations: http://www.dietandfitnesstoday.com/bmi.php)
    http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/idealw.htm

it's not hard to find out how much you should weigh tbh. And not to sound horrible but if you have a healthy diet, you wouldn't be this heavy, unless its hormonal. QUOTE]

Thats not true. Sure it is a HUGE part of it, but some people simply cannot lose weight no matter how hard they try. (and im not just making this up we are learning about it in my biology class)
    *raises hand* before i found out about my polycystic ovaries (PCOS) i couldnt lose weight to save my life no matter how much i exercised. Now i am on medication which helps.

God seems like the pcos is the root of all my problems! (im going to shut up now)
    It's about far more than diet Ballerina, if you eat a healthy diet which balances your energy intake with what you use then there is no way you can lose weight. To lose weight you have to be using more than you are eating, stands to perfect reason. The best way to achieve this is to increase what you are using up through exercise and continue to eat a healthy diet, rather than to decrease what you eat.
    twisted_trinity - I'm the same height as you and weigh over 10 stone too. I struggle to shift weight because I used to be quite sporty and so have some muscle hidden away under my cuddly layers. Please don't stress about BMI and stuff though because it tells me that I'm pre-obese .... yet I'm only a size 10-12.

I have to agree with everyone else though that the only way that you'll really lose weight is by dong exercise. The best things that I've found are the Davina McCall(sp?) 30 minute exercise DVD, because it's easy to just do whenver I feel like it, and doing some kind of sponsored event, because that way you have some motivation. Last year I did Race for Life - it's a 5km walk/jog/run. I followed their 6 week training programme and got loads fitter. It gives you a reason to train. This year I'm going the Playtex MoonWalk (a walking marathon at night) and my training programme should be through any day now.
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    Based on a height of 5'2 you would be of "normal weight" if you were in the range of 7 stone 4 pounds to 9 stone 10 pounds. Therefore you are definately not three stone overweight!

(See this website for BMI based weight range calculations: http://www.dietandfitnesstoday.com/bmi.php)

sorry but i think the BMI is a load of poo

i`m 5ft 2 and i`ve been 7 stone 4 and i looked like a kid on drugs...not a good look!

i think i look my best when i`m 10 stone, if the BMI tells me thats obese....tough tittie, thats when i look and feel my best

so to the OP, if you're happy, sod the BMI, sod the guy in m&s

maybe losin the 6lbs will make you feel better but if you dont feel you need to, dont

x
    Littleali wrote: »

I think this as well and I'm sure someone said that BMI doesn't take muscle into account.
    Sofie wrote: »
    I think this as well and I'm sure someone said that BMI doesn't take muscle into account.

Yes, me.

It is purely a weight/height curve.

Utter rubbish.

If you're big-boned, it doesn't take that into account etc...
    Sofie wrote: »

Or breasts. I have big boobs, is it fair that my BMI healthy weight should be the same as a woman of the same height with small boobs?
    Amira wrote: »
    *raises hand* before i found out about my polycystic ovaries (PCOS) i couldnt lose weight to save my life no matter how much i exercised. Now i am on medication which helps.

God seems like the pcos is the root of all my problems! (im going to shut up now)

I'm on medication for that, and all I've done is put on weight. I need to shift some of it though.
    Littleali wrote: »

i`m 5ft 2 and i`ve been 7 stone 4 and i looked like a kid on drugs...not a good look!

i think i look my best when i`m 10 stone, if the BMI tells me thats obese....tough tittie, thats when i look and feel my best

so to the OP, if you're happy, sod the BMI, sod the guy in m&s

maybe losin the 6lbs will make you feel better but if you dont feel you need to, dont

x

I don't think BMI is the ultimate weight guide or anything but it's an okay place to start.

I am also 5ft 2 and I weigh less than that and don't look like I'm a kid on drugs. As far as I know...
    Loopi wrote: »
    twisted_trinity - I'm the same height as you and weigh over 10 stone too. I struggle to shift weight because I used to be quite sporty and so have some muscle hidden away under my cuddly layers. Please don't stress about BMI and stuff though because it tells me that I'm pre-obese .... yet I'm only a size 10-12.

Exactley same here. Granted i'm not a size 8 anymore but nobody has ever called me fat or told me that i look in the least bit fat/flabby.
    Weight to me is irrelavent, i go be inches in wasit/bust size, and i weigh about the same as you and the biggest dress size i have ever bought has been size 12 jeans in topshop, so bob to other posters telling you that you should't be that heavy.
    Yeah maybe do some exercise and tone up a little but i really wouldn't obsess about it. To be honest thinking about it i'm sure i was always just over 9 stone when i was a size 8, and there wasn't a roll or anything in sight, ha :p
    well, if it makes it any better, my boobs are pretty huge...

my doctor said that i could do with loosing about 5 kilos, but it would make a huge difference to my health. though she does ant me to come in for weigh ins (why???) i'm going to start going swimming with a mate twice a week, but atm i have far more pressing matters than loosing weight, like getting a good job.