Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

fresh attempt to move clocks forward

Story.

I have to say that living up here I am totally and utterly against this proposal, and hope it never comes through. In winter it would mean that sunrise wouldn't be until about 9.30am in December, which is fantastic.

Goes to show that the whole country only gives a toss about Londoners, really.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    If it aint broke don't fix it.

Simple.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    BBC wrote:
    Moving clocks forward an hour in the UK would cut crime, boost tourism, improve health and reduce accidents, according to House of Commons research.

:lol:

I've heard it'll solve world poverty and cure AIDS as well.
  • Options
    And the sun will always shine (or at least it will if you live South of Watford)
    I've a feeling it was trialled once before and then scrapped as it didn;t reduce accidents overall...
  • Options
    Actually Kermit the immense majority of the British territory would benefit from putting the clocks forward. It's only Scotland and the far north of England where changing the time might not.

I've always believed Scotland should be allowed to keep the time it wants and England should put their clocks forward. The benefits would be quite significant.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    I've always believed Scotland should be allowed to keep the time it wants and England should put their clocks forward. The benefits would be quite significant.

That's certainly one of the benefits to us that I am looking forward to if Scotland decides to leave the union. :hyper:
  • Options
    Oh FFS. There are only so many hours in the day, shifting the clocks might help at one end, but not at the other... it's a false argument and completely unnecessary IMHO.
  • Options
    Actually Kermit the immense majority of the British territory would benefit from putting the clocks forward. It's only Scotland and the far north of England where changing the time might not.

Even when I lived in Yorkshire it wouldn't be getting light until 9am. York is actually halfway between London and Edinburgh:)

What you actually mean is that London will benefit...because only London matters, eh?
  • Options
    According to experts it does make a big difference.

As far as I'm concerned, I like the sun to go down later, not earlier. Getting dark at 3.30 in winter is the single most depressing thing in the entire world.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »

What you actually mean is that London will benefit...because only London matters, eh?

Only Northerners say that!! I hate the fact that whenever a North/South divide is spoken about people only mention the capital. There is more to the South than London
  • Options
    Even in London it gets light too late in the middle of winter - I'd much rather be walking to work in light and coming home in the dark - nothing more miserable than darkness all the way to work.

Tell you what, solve poverty, conflict, disease and war and then I'll worry about what my watch says.
  • Options
    As far as I'm concerned, I like the sun to go down later, not earlier. Getting dark at 3.30 in winter is the single most depressing thing in the entire world.

Up here the sun isn't properly up until half nine in winter anyway, and I fail to see any benefit in having the sun not actually come up properly until half past ten in the morning. Especially as it getting dark at half four instead of half three makes no difference in terms of rush hour traffic, which is where the supposed safety benefits come in.

In summer it'd also mean that it wasn't getting dark here until midnight. Fantastic if you need to get to sleep, eh?

Oh, and by the way, by "most" of the UK I presume you don't mean the 30m or so people who live north of the Wash? :lol:
  • Options
    I'd be interested to know how many of them share your opinion. The only people I have heard complain against moving the clocks forward are the Scottish.
  • Options
    The only people I have heard complain against moving the clocks forward are the Scottish.

And they are Scot's, they are always complaining.
  • Options
    I'd be interested to know how many of them share your opinion. The only people I have heard complain against moving the clocks forward are the Scottish.

Most people up here share the same opinion, because (believe it or not) most of us don't want to have been at work two hours before the bloody sun comes up in a morning. Especially as the "benefit" (woo, the sun goes down 30 mins before home time, not 90 minutes) is so negligible.

It's just pandering to whingeing Southerners, but I'd expect nothing more from a prick like Tim Yeo. The times are set up perfectly up here.
  • Options
    Wouldnt it also put us on the same time as France? We cant have that, its a short step from that to joining the Euro.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    Most people up here share the same opinion, because (believe it or not) most of us don't want to have been at work two hours before the bloody sun comes up in a morning. Especially as the "benefit" (woo, the sun goes down 30 mins before home time, not 90 minutes) is so negligible.
    But it doesn't really matter how long it takes for the sun to rise after you've arrived in the office does it? You still travel in darkness regardless.
    It's just pandering to whingeing Southerners, but I'd expect nothing more from a prick like Tim Yeo. The times are set up perfectly up here.
    I sincerely doubt that many people at all from Manchester/Liverpool down would complain if the clocks were put forward. And correct me if I'm wrong but I believe there are a lot more English people leaving south of Manchester and Liverpool than north of it.
  • Options
    *raises hand* I'd complain. But anyway - I think this may end up as the poll tomorrow...
  • Options
    It really would be crap trying to put young children to bed in summer.
  • Options
    But it doesn't really matter how long it takes for the sun to rise after you've arrived in the office does it? You still travel in darkness regardless.

Sunrise is at about 8.10am in winter- which means I see the sunrise on the way to work. It's not up properly until about half nine.

An hour later means I'd be in darkness in the morning, and in darkness in the evening too, as the sun wouold still set long before I leave the office.

The difference between here and Yorkshire is about 10 mins in the morning and 10 mins in the evening. Most people would still complain. And there's about 10m people just living in the cities north of the M62.

At the same time, it'd be crap up here (on a schoolnight) with the sun not going down until midnight. On a Saturday night it'd be great though!
  • Options
    To be fair is not that the Scots are whinging, it just that the only people who support it tend to live in London.
  • Options
    Well I'd be more than happy for London to put the clock forward and for everyone else to remain as they are if that's what they want.

Erect a wall around the M25 I say!

;)
  • Options
    Then destroy everything within that wall

Good idea.......
  • Options
    I'm 'down south' and I'd be opposed too. It makes me far more miserable having to get up in the dark during winter than it does to come home in the dark. So I'd feel awful in the winter as I'd always have to get up in the dark, and awful in the summer, because I wouldn't have had enough sleep, due to having to wait for the sun to go down so late at night. Great Plan :impissed:
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote: »

Good idea.......
    You'd be fucked then :p
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote: »

Good idea.......

Britain would be a second world country without the South East. The SE subsidises the rest of the country.

I'm pretty indifferent tbh, don't really feel that strongly either way. It would seem a bit strange for England and Scotland to be in different time zones but I suppose there are lots of countries with different time zones within them.

Tbh I'm not convinced that moving the clocks forward will bring enormous benefits. It didn't really seem to work for Portugal. And winter wouldn't be winter if it didn't get dark horribly early.
  • Options
    i dont think it would benefit anywhere myself, it's for all the people not paying tax as they commute across europe for domicile purposes - i cant see the benefits for anyone else

we are fine as we are in regards to how our time is done

if you want extra sunshine hours after work, start earlier finish earlier...
  • Options
    Britain would be a second world country without the South East. The SE subsidises the rest of the country.

That's not quite true- the Scottish gas fields do.
  • Options
    Actually I like the idea. I often leave the library quite late through studying and work and it'd be nice to go home when it's light. It'll also be nice to come back from the pub when it's still light, it'll feel safer.

Plus an extra hour of sunlight will encourage people to walk more places, thus improving our health.

I don't have any issues getting up in the dark, to me it means an extra hour of light in my leisure time.
  • Options
    But the SE relies on the rest of the country to support its wealth generation - it doesn't produce enough graduates, nor enough people to provide its defence or policing, nor has it enough space or people for the routine administrative tasks which go with wealth generation etc, etc.
  • Options
    i think its not a bad idea.