Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Time tables

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I guess this is travel related...

I have a real problem reading time-tables... Buses, trains, whatever. They don't make sense!

I've just been staring at the same time-table for about 20 minutes and still haven't worked it out... I can't even explain what doesn't make sense.

Please tell me someone else can't understand them either.... :blush:

So can anyone help me out? :confused:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I can understand them really well, actually. It's not hard. Look at the top, make sure the timetable is for the direction of travel you want. Look down the left column until you get to your origin station/place, move across the row until you come to the time you want to set off, and then look down that column until you get to your destination.

What timetable is it, and what don't you understand?
  • Options
    they pretty straight forward, you look at the station you want to get on, the times next to it are the times the bus or whatever gets to that station, then if you look down at the other stations it tells you what time you are supposed to get there...

what part of it dont you get?
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    They really arent too hard to understand once you get the hang of them.

First you need to look at which side of the timetable you need A - B or B - A. Be sure you have the right day Monday-Friday/Saturday/Sunday etc. For example if you wish to travel from A to B, A should be above B. Then you check the times of arrival at B to suit when you need to arrive, then look up to see the departure time from A.

In this case I want to travel from Leeds to Huddersfield, and I need to be there at half 4. I chose Monday to Friday then with Leeds on top of Huddersfield (red). In then check to see what train is best for me to half 4, there is one arriving at 4.27 (blue). I look up and this train leaves Leeds at 4.10. There is a note 'TP' which means its operated by TransPennine. So I need to leave Leeds on the 4.10 train.

timetable3bt.jpg

All timetables look different in style etc but they should all have the basic features.

If you are still struggling try and find the timetable you need on the internet and I'll try and do it again step by step :)
  • Options
    Thanks JsT... http://www.trentbarton.co.uk/timetables/times/index.html?rainbow5derby.html
    That is what has been confusing me... Going from Derby to Long Eaton.

I have dyscalculia so this kind of thing just completly baffles me... It just looks like a bunch of completly unrelated numbers to me... :confused:

So are the places down the side all the bus stops? So like each column down is a different bus... and each row is the times the bus gets to that stop :chin:
    Hmm... you may have made this make sense for me JsT, thanks. :)

Some days I get more cuffuddled than others. Bit random.
    But just cos I understand it now doesn't mean I'll be able to remember it next time :rolleyes:
    lol. Never mind.
  • Options
    hi, bus timetables can be a sod to understand if you're not used to reading them.

Two examples;

If you look to the left where it says DERBY City Centre in yellow that is the start of the route. Follow it across to the right and it says 5.50am. This is the time the bus starts from Derby. If you go from 5.50am downwards to where it says 6.21 and then look to the left this is when it gets to long eaton. The boxes that have a - in them it means the bus doesn't stop there. Or if you look at the first column the first bus starts from Long Eaton at 5.55am and goes to Broadmarsh centre.

Second example;
    coming home not the first box but the second one
    If you look in the yellow column for the Long Eaton stop (there's two, pick the one that says arrive to be on the safeside). So if we look across from the Long Eaton (arrive) box at the 6.59am bus and follow it down, we see it reaches Derby at 7.36am. If you had tried to get the bus before the 6.50am you can see it only goes to the next stop and then the route terminates.

One handy tip, if you're struggling always use a ruler to go across and maybe circle things in pencil to help you keep your place.

Don't know if any of that helps but i find sometimes when people explain in examples i understand a little better. Good luck anyway :yes:
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Lu_C wrote: »
    Thanks JsT...
    Hmm... you may have made this make sense for me JsT, thanks. :)

Its one of those things that just 'clicks' eventually I think. Least it was for me!