Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

so what are valid tactics if your country/area is occupied?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
what would you say is justifiable, even in only a military sense, but say in what you you justify them?

i'd say sabotage of occupier facilities is very justifiable in all senses, and targetted assasinations and bomb threats in a military sense

thought i'd start a good (hypothetical) discussion thread

Comments

• Options
    Who's occupying you and why?

France during the Franco-Prussian war is different from Poland in 1939.
  • Options
    I don't know, but I've always though it is a bit easy to criticise someone for pretending to be a civilian, when you're sat in a state of the art tank trying to shoot them.
  • Options
    I don't know, but I've always though it is a bit easy to criticise someone for pretending to be a civilian, when you're sat in a state of the art tank trying to shoot them.

and vice versa. A tank is just an oven with tracks...
  • Options
    Oooh, there's a little eye on that quote. Isn't that cool.
  • Options
    All military and government targets from the occupying force, either in your own country or anywhere else in the world including their own country, are fair game.
  • Options
    if its an enemy force that has come in and occupied your land then acts of sabotage and espionage on military targets are legitimate.

Attacks on your own population or the occupiers civiilan population are not.

However, some strategic thinkers disagree, some see all targets no matter who you are or what the situation. For example, they say the occupying force is entitled to attack civilans.

in terms of Iraq, and I am reading into suggested subtext here forgive me if I am wrong, I don't think the insurents have had any legitimacy int heir attacks, especially the foreign fighters.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    All military and government targets from the occupying force, either in your own country or anywhere else in the world including their own country, are fair game.

Does that therefore include killing the civilians who make the ball bearings, without which their weapons don't work?

What about the factory that makes their guns/tanks/bombs?

In the UK's case, is any employee of BAE systems a target because they supply weapons?

In the event of conscription, does that make all males over 16 targets?

Define "government". I am a civil servant, does that make me a legit target?
  • Options
    No, I was talking only about serving members of the army in the occupied country, and military officers and actual members of the government anywhere.

Others might see a lot more folk as fair targets no doubt (isn't that what terrorists do when they bomb civilians and blame all citizens because they voted that government into office in the first place) but my moral compass tells me that's wrong.

I would see any soldier seving in my occupied country as fair do though. Even if they are conscripted. The hard and brave decision is to make a stand and to face the consequences, like the brave Israelis who refuse to serve in Palestine even if it means jail. Whereas I'm not saying any soldier, be British, Israeli, American or anyone else deserves to die, if my country was occupied they would certainly be fair game. At the end of the day you're fighting a war and trying to repel the invader.
  • Options
    It depends on the circumstances.

If your armed forces have lost the war and the enemy is occupying you whilst negotiating what the final peace treaty is like there is no reasons to attack them. Your chances of making any difference to the final treaty is slight and all your doing is killing for the sake of killing (and risking the lives of your fellow civilians). (eg France - Franco-Prussian War)

If it is a long term, but 'non-brutal' occupation you'd be right to strike at the occupying powers within the military, police and those sections of the Govt directly involved in the occupation (eg defence, any civil servants on secondment etc) and collaborators. (eg India against UK - during the Empire).

if there occupying your country with the aim to commit genocide on many of your people and reduce the rest to slavery you can do anything you can to make them 'cry uncle' that's not just killig troops and collaborators, but placing bombs on school buses, gassing the underground etc. (eg Poland 1939-1945)
  • Options
    if there occupying your country with the aim to commit genocide on many of your people and reduce the rest to slavery you can do anything you can to make them 'cry uncle' that's not just killig troops and collaborators, but placing bombs on school buses, gassing the underground etc. (eg Poland 1939-1945)

Does Israel and Palestine count as this?
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Does Israel and Palestine count as this?

I wouldn't have said so, but then it depends whether you think that the Israeli's are trying to wipe out and enslave the Palestininians. If you think they are you will see any actions the Palestinians take as morally justified...
  • Options
    who's occupying britain:
    the celts
    the romans
    the vikings
    the saxons
    the angles
    the jutes
    the normans
    the list goes on.....

sorry, i thought i'd add some humour...
  • Options
    I think it would depend on who was occupying my country and what they were doing.
  • Options
    Does that therefore include killing the civilians who make the ball bearings, without which their weapons don't work?

What about the factory that makes their guns/tanks/bombs?

In the UK's case, is any employee of BAE systems a target because they supply weapons?

In the event of conscription, does that make all males over 16 targets?

Define "government". I am a civil servant, does that make me a legit target?

MoK,

If I was your mother, I`d be proud of my boy`s questions. :D
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Alot is acceptable. Civilian collateral is acceptable. However, delibarte targetting is not, unless they are occupiers of stolen land. Then I was say, ok, because they are no more innocent than the military of occupying your land.

Full ut Guerilla war is my tactic for when we are invaded by those damned Australians. :impissed: They're coming, mark my words.

Grr.