Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Going back to a dentist

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Haven't been to the dentist in about 3 years and I've just discovered a hole in one of my teeth. It isn't causing me any pain or discomfort yet but I thought I'd sort the problem out before it does.

Basically, I just wondered how I could go about it.. can I just ring up the dentist and ask for an appointment or do I have to re-register? Also, if re-registering is the case then can I do it over the phone or will I have to go into the actual building?

I'd prefer to get it done ASAP so if anyone has any answers I can follow their advice straight away.

Oh, also how much does a filling cost?

Comments

• Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    It depends how nice your dentist is, but I wouldn't be suprised if you have been taken off the books (if nhs) and would have to find another dentist that is currently taking on new patients.

Your best bet is to go onto the nhs website and find out who is your area is. Ill warn you though, if you do need to get a new dentist, you will probably not be able to get an appointment for a while.

If you become in serious pain, most hospitals have a dental clinic for emergencies, but you could find this out by calling nhs direct.

Oh and my filling cost just under £27.

All of this is assuming that you are wanting nhs, if youre private, I am no help :p
  • Options
    Yeah, if you don't turn up to appointments then they take you off. Could always ring up and say you need a filling - more money for them isn't it?

Depends how nice they are.
  • Options
    Bunnie - From what I can remember he was quite cool (bearing in mind this was 3 years ago so my memory isn't 100%!) so hopefully he won't hold any grudges.

I am indeed NHS so your reply is as helpful as it can get ;) I'll try giving him a ring tomorrow & sweeten him up. Hopefully it won't come down to finding a new dentist because I don't know how long that hole has been there & the pain could kick in at any time.

Ballerina - You mean I might be able to just get the filling done and not go to the check-ups every 6 months? Thought I had to at least register, but I'll try giving him my sob story haha.
  • Options
    Aspire wrote: »
    Bunnie - From what I can remember he was quite cool (bearing in mind this was 3 years ago so my memory isn't 100%!) so hopefully he won't hold any grudges.

I am indeed NHS so your reply is as helpful as it can get ;) I'll try giving him a ring tomorrow & sweeten him up. Hopefully it won't come down to finding a new dentist because I don't know how long that hole has been there & the pain could kick in at any time.

Ballerina - You mean I might be able to just get the filling done and not go to the check-ups every 6 months? Thought I had to at least register, but I'll try giving him my sob story haha.

yeah you'll have to be re registering. But dentists get paid by how many units of dental work they do - so depending on how greedy or nice he is, he might let you back on. They're really stretched so it might be hard.
  • Options
    Well hopefully he's both nice and greedy, ups my chances then. Thanks for the help :)
  • Options
    http://www.nhs.uk/England/Dentists/DentalCharges.cmsx

The above link tells you about the charges for NHS dentistry.
    You pay one of the following three charges:

£15.50 - This charge includes an examination, diagnosis and preventive care. If necessary, this includes X-rays, scale and polish, and planning for further treatment.

Urgent and out-of-hours care also costs £15.50.

OR
    £42.40 - This charge includes all necessary treatment covered by the £15.50 charge PLUS additional treatment such as fillings, root canal treatment or extractions.

OR
    £189 -This charge includes all necessary treatment covered by the £15.50 and £42.40 charges PLUS more complex procedures such as crowns, dentures or bridges.

http://www.nhs.uk/England/Dentists/LocalSearch.aspx

Use the link above to find your nearest surgery that is taking on patients if you cannot re-register with your old dentist. It isn't as simple as him being 'cool'. If you do not go for three years they will remove you from their books in order to make room for another paying customer.
  • Options
    How much do you lot pay for silver vs white fillings?

last time I paid inthe UK it was £50 per white filling
  • Options
    How much do you lot pay for silver vs white fillings?

last time I paid inthe UK it was £50 per white filling

I don't have any silver fillings, but the current price for them is shown above.

In December I paid £60 for a white filling. It was worth every penny. I'd pay £200+ to not have a mouth full of dark fillings! My only vanity is my teeth!
  • Options
    The above info is all correct. If you've not been for 3 years then you will need to reregister. Once you've registered you can then make an appointment to be seen. They'll usually want to do a check up first, then make a treatment plan for anything else that needs doing, but if you say you can see a hole then they may make you a slightly longer appointment and sort it out at the same time.
  • Options
    Sweet. That's mostly everything covered..

I suppose I should ask, providing I can't get my old dentist back and I have to join a new surgery and wait for ages, how long does it roughly take for a hole in a tooth to decay & begin to hurt? This is my first filling so you might be able to understand why I'm so clueless.
  • Options
    If you're brushing your teeth well etc then it can take years and years.

DON'T take that as an excuse to do nothing, get registered somewhere and an appointment made. That way if it does start to hurt while you're waiting for the appointment you've got somewhere to ask for help.
  • Options
    My dentist sucks.

i havent gone in about 5 years, in fear of the man. but he moved to a new office somewhere out in some place that ive never heard of. so i went to this new person, and it tunrs out i have only 3 very small cavities! :yes:

but now they keep pushing my appointments off till "the next week".

its been nearly a month
  • Options
    Scary Monster - I'm not lazy, I'll get it sorted :P I just wondered on a possible time scale incase I had to make other plans or something to fall back on if the aching started.