Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Curly Hair Cuts

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have medium blonde shoulder length (when dry) curly hair. Well the long bits shoulder length there are some slightly shorter layers.

I had it cut short short, kind of cropped but not, probably max 4 inches long on the long bits, for about the last 5 years and have decided I want a change so been growing it.

I do a fair amount of watersports and outdoors, and tend it get out of bed a max of 30 mins before I need to do something or leave so I want something easy that looks vaguely presentable. They're the kind of ringlet type curls, that don't really stay in ringlets, and I've yet to find a way to brush it when it's dry without it turning into a mad afro.

I'm looking for ideas for a hair style, ideas for what to do with the bit round my face, that's easy peasy to look after AND THAT DOESN'T NEED STRAIGHTNERS.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I just wash mine every other day, and don't brush it on the second day unless it's really bad, in which case it gets tied up.

Mine is roughly shoulder length when clean, have a bit of a fringe going on, which is parted like the rest of my hair, with a few subtle layers.

For styling I use a lightweight volumising serum, and a heat protection one. I was told to dry the fringe, and if I had to, hold my head upside down and quickly blast the rest, but not to dry it completely as that makes it frizzy.

Looks really good when I take 15 minutes over it, normally I just throw it back and it looks fine.
    I've yet to find a way to brush it when it's dry without it turning into a mad afro.

I have curlyish hair (although I generally force it straight with heat) and have been told a few times by hairdressers that curly hair + brushing = disaster.

When I wear it curly these days, instead of brushing, I just pop a teeny bit of product through and neaten it with my fingers, and it seems a lot happier with that arrangement.

For around-face madness, I am still rocking the slight quiff several years after it went out. Or if it all looks like shit, I clip the front fringey bit into a slight quiff and pull the rest into a ponytail. Win.
    I'm looking for ideas for a hair style, ideas for what to do with the bit round my face, that's easy peasy to look after AND THAT DOESN'T NEED STRAIGHTNERS.

Any suggestions?
    OMG I came online in order to ask about ideas for my hair. I have longer hair but mentally curly - hairdressers refuse to relax it it's that mental.

Suggestions for longer hair then - have it graduated so it frames your face but then is weighted down at the back (stops your head looking triangular) with a few layers in it to make it easier to control. Comb it through with some leave in conditioner or curl creme (whilst wet/damp), tip your head upside down and scrunch it through the ends, throw it all back the other way and scrape a random parting wherever you like and Robert's your Mum's brother!! If your hair is anything like as curly as mine, you will need to wet it every single day in order to do anything with it but I promise you, this takes about 5-10mins max - even for nights out.

SM - you mind if I highjack and ask for suggestions about shorter curly hair? Maybe you should just upload a photo. I want to go short and blonde.
    I have reeeally curly hair, and the same problem about brushing it when its dry.

I just wet it a teeny bit, brush it and then put in some mouse or gel and it sits really nice without much effort.