Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Housemates owe me money

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My housemates owe me over £90 between them and despite asking nicely for it I haven't been given it. I really need the cash now and don't know what to do.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    How do you pay your bills etc? Anyway you can take it from that?

Otherwise get a bit more stroppy I guess, do they have internet banking?Offer to take it by Cheque, BACS, cash any method really.
    I've had this with my family before, and my friends, and you don't want to be rude. I never got my moneys in the end! :( Arses. (only to the tune of £40 from 2 people tho, one insisted since I lent her the money on her birthday it didn't count, and the other was just lazy. Actually.. I could ask him about it... :D).

Just say: "Hi, do you remember that money you owe me? I hate to be annoying but I've run into some debt and need it now, I have asked you before and you were getting it together for me so if you could hand it over / write a cheque that would be fantastic :) - otherwise I will pawn your stuff, asshole" (ok, omit the last bit :p).

Best of luck, I had a cunning plan that didn't work - but would have if properly implemented. I simply asked one of my female friends who doesn't tiptoe about to ask for it back. They all said 'yes' but then didn't give it to me!
    turn them upside down, pick up the cash that falls out of their pockets, flush their heads down the toilet... ok, not helpful
    poo in their shoes
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Say you are desperate for the money and that you need it by the end of the week. If they still dont give you it, leave random notes saying, I WANT MY MONEY.

My housemates in 2nd year often got a bit funny when it came to money owed to me or the other housemate, but as soon as they were confronted on their own, they gave it to us.

That said, I do have a tendancy to be a bit scary...when shall I come round?
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Bunnie wrote:
    Say you are desperate for the money and that you need it by the end of the week. If they still dont give you it, leave random notes saying, I WANT MY MONEY.

My housemates in 2nd year often got a bit funny when it came to money owed to me or the other housemate, but as soon as they were confronted on their own, they gave it to us.

That said, I do have a tendancy to be a bit scary...when shall I come round?
    Leaving annoying notes doesn't help. Trust me, I've had the treatment put on me and it didn't help me pay up!
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    JsT wrote:
    Leaving annoying notes doesn't help. Trust me, I've had the treatment put on me and it didn't help me pay up!
    Maybe a big yellow post it note on the end of your nose? stuck on with super glue?

Oh no hang on, you wouldnt be able to read it.

Ok got it, post it note, on nose, write Pay me my money back backwards, so it can be read easily in a mirror.

Oh and JsT...pay your debts young man!
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Bunnie wrote:
    Oh and JsT...pay your debts young man!

Have now. When they actually finally approached me reasonably :p
    JsT wrote:
    Have now. When they actually finally approached me reasonably :p

i.e. with a shotgun :p
    JsT wrote: »

I agree. Leaving random notes is not a good way to go about things.

You need to ask them about the money in person and if they say 'can't do it now' ask why and when you'll get it and let them know if the amount of time they give to get it back is reasonable or not.
    You need to be firm but not bitchy.
    explain that you really need it, that you were kind enough to lend it them but now you need it back

if they still dont give it you, just say to them that that will be the last time you lend them money if they cant respect you enough to give it back