Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

NI Police "colluded with killers"

Story.

I think it goes to show how little the police, not just the RUC, can actually be trusted in this country. Paid handsomely to protect us, all they do is protect their own financial interests, literally letting people get away with murder.

They systematically destroy evidence and then denounce the enquiry as "incapable of substantiation". Funny that.

It's just another one in a long line of police cover-ups and dodgy dealings- Menezes, Hillsborough, the whole of the RUC, and the hundreds of murder convictions quashed throughout the years because of police lies, brutality and corruption.

It's a miracle that anyone still trusts these cunts.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit wrote:
    [
    It's a miracle that anyone still trusts these cunts.

Those who colluded in murder should be investigated and charged and if found guilty jailed. In fact we should go even further and investigate the links between the Garda and Irish Army and the IRA as well.

I've stood at the graveside as they've lowered RUC officers into the ground. Most RUC men were damn good, and a few bad apples doesn't change that.
    Those who colluded in murder should be investigated and charged and if found guilty jailed.

Because of their actions that will be quite impossible now. It's hard to convict when all the evidence went through the shredder 20 years ago. I think the report should publicly name those who colluded.

I also don't think its every single copper ever, but the institution is quite clearly rotten to the core.
    There have been rumors for years that parts of Special Branch there used the Loyalists as hit men on occasions.

As for what can be done about it now, I fear its too late, perhaps a truth and reconciliation process where people can give evidence without fear of conviction would be good.
    Kermit wrote:
    Because of their actions that will be quite impossible now. It's hard to convict when all the evidence went through the shredder 20 years ago. I think the report should publicly name those who colluded.

If the NIPO has enough to name and claim in a report that they colluded she should have enough evidence to take to court - even if under the GFA (:mad: )they'll not spend a night in jail
    I also don't think its every single copper ever, but the institution is quite clearly rotten to the core

The RUC's gone and most of its people did a damn difficult job in difficult circumstances. I quite possibly would literally not be alive if an RUC officer at risk of his life had not cleared me and others from a bomb blast. I still have a scar and it took my Mum close to twenty years before she could bear to go into a big city again.

Most of them acted without fear or favour against both the Republicans and the Loyalists.
    Judging by how well the Bloody Sunday inquiry is going (god knows how many years ongoing, and how many tens of millions spent) the chances of ever getting any figure of authority convicted for anything in NI are slim.

The same could be said of some political figures from both Sinn Fein and a few of the loyalist parties who were up to their necks in it.
    What shocked me most was this was so recent, from 1993 to 2001! If it was during the 70's and 80's I wouldnt have been so surprised.
    They'll always be rogue police - there was a case in the 70s/80s where a rogue SB unit colluded to cover up an IRA informer when he committed murder (going one step further one of them took part in an armed robbery with him).

Others police, soldiers and UDR men were directly involved in murder (Miami Showband springs to mind). And at one time any intelligence passed to a certain Garda Special Branch unit was in the IRA hands within hours (though on realising this the RUC then started to feed them false info).

The fact is that's there's always been and always will be police who decide to join the bad guys whether for money, ideology, the 'greater good' or to prevent the embarrasing revelation your top tout has still been playing for the other team. This shouldn't prevent the fact that 95% of the RUC were good people trying to do a difficult and dangerous job in horrendous circumstances.

Between 1981 and 1987 Republicans murdered 386 people, Loyalists 69. The RUC charged 112 Republicans with murder and 130 Loyalists. In South Tyrone and Fermanagh 1971 - 1987 there were 158 Republican murders - 14 convictions. In the same area during the same timescale there were 22 Loyalist murders and half resulted in at least one person being convicted of murder.

If the NIPO is right people should be charged with conspiracy to murder, but that shouldn't be taken as anything than the fact a very small minority of police were involved with terrorism.
    Of course, and I wasnt trying to suggest it is all one sided, but I was surprised that this sort of thing was going on only a few years ago.
    budda wrote: »
    Of course, and I wasnt trying to suggest it is all one sided, but I was surprised that this sort of thing was going on only a few years ago.

Don't be surprised. It's a murky world in that business. It's only been a few years now that the sectarian murders and attacks have calmed down.